• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Romo the Choke Artist?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always felt Romo has gotten a bad rap, He does make me shake my head in disbelief fairly often but he also gets a ton of blame for stuff that's not his fault. I think people have decided he's a choke artist so most believe it as fact. However I found this pretty interesting:

Tony Romo is the NFL's walking contradiction. He's almost universally regarded as a quarterback who can't handle the big moments and the pressure-packed situations, and yet Romo led the league with five fourth-quarter comebacks last season. He had a sixth comeback from 14 points down with five minutes left to force overtime in New Orleans, and a seventh comeback against the Ravens in Baltimore fell short when Dan Bailey missed a would-be game-winning field goal. Over the past five seasons, when the game has been within one score in the fourth quarter, the only guys with a higher passer rating are Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Drew Brees. Dude gets after it when the game's on the line, I promise you, but his reputation is awful enough in those situations that even "Stone Cold" Steve Austin doesn't think Tony Romo has what it takes there. (In all fairness, Austin was 5-2 at WrestleMania, so he might be qualified to evaluate Romo's clutch performance.)

Bill Barnwell ranks the top assets in the NFL - Grantland

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rap he gets is because of lackluster performances in do-or-die games.

It all started with the botched snap on the field goal in the playoff loss to the Seahawks his first year as a starter. There was also the so-so performance in the playoff loss to the Giants in 2007. And, of course, in three different seasons, the Cowboys had three different Week 17 matchups against all three of the division foes with a playoff spot on the line and they lost all three.

Most people's lasting image of Tony Romo, when you say the word clutch, is that atrocious interception at the end of the game against the Redskins.

Fair or not, that's what he will be remembered by. They won't remember a come-from-behind win in Week 9 against an AFC opponent. They will remember a season-ending interception in Week 17 against a division rival with the playoffs on the line.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The botched field goal wasn't on him. He shouldn't have been holding. Since then (and that may have cracked him), he has done more than enough to earn the reputation on his own.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rap he gets is because of lackluster performances in do-or-die games.

It all started with the botched snap on the field goal in the playoff loss to the Seahawks his first year as a starter. There was also the so-so performance in the playoff loss to the Giants in 2007. And, of course, in three different seasons, the Cowboys had three different Week 17 matchups against all three of the division foes with a playoff spot on the line and they lost all three.

Most people's lasting image of Tony Romo, when you say the word clutch, is that atrocious interception at the end of the game against the Redskins.

Fair or not, that's what he will be remembered by. They won't remember a come-from-behind win in Week 9 against an AFC opponent. They will remember a season-ending interception in Week 17 against a division rival with the playoffs on the line.

I agree, there is some reasoning behind the label he's received. But the botched snap, he probably shouldn't have been holding. How many close games have been lost due to bad coaching/playcalling as opposed to Romo's play? I hope the guy can shake the stigma this season.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a Blue Star Lounge thread for strays to post in...:director:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope you're joking:scratch:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, there is some reasoning behind the label he's received. But the botched snap, he probably shouldn't have been holding. How many close games have been lost due to bad coaching/playcalling as opposed to Romo's play? I hope the guy can shake the stigma this season.

Again, it may not be fair, but, he'll have to win. In the post season. To shake the stigma.

For the longest time, Peyton Manning was known by some as a great regular season player who choked in the playoffs. Tom Brady has now been labeled a choke artist after winning three Super Bowls as some now some now say he hasn't won since Spygate. Then there was Elway who was blasted for over a decade for choking in Super Bowls. Jim Kelly. Dan Marino. Warren Moon. We could go all the way back to Don Meredith.

Add to the pressure of playing for the Cowboys where expectations are so high because of the shoes to fill of Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman.

He will need playoff wins to shake the stigma and even that may not be enough.

There may be some who will always label him a choke artist unless he wins a Super Bowl.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're just talking about the stigma, yeah, the botched field goal contributed. He needs to play better in big games, though. If he doesn't have a Super Bowl because Jerry blows, that's one thing. But if he keeps making big mistakes in the clutch, he'll just solidify that stigma.

Yeah, actually winning is all that matters to a lot of people, but there are a lot of more rational people who will judge him on what he actually does. Right now, he's a choker to them too.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After getting a $108 million dollar extension, Romo will be crucified by both the media and the fans for every mistake, and Sainted for every "clutch" performance. If Dallas doesn't win the Division and atleast make it to the second round of the playoffs, it will be all Romo's fault in some peoples eyes. Others will Claim Garrett was the reason, or the defense, or the O-line. But at the end of the day, Romo is facing alot of pressure to live up to the deal he got, and shake the label he has. If I wasnt a Redskins fan, I would actually be hoping he lives up to expectations. But as a Skins fan, I got to hope he comes out the same old Romo... big stats... then choking like a fluffer in a ****o.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit.. I found a banned word. LOL

****o

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo gets a lot of love due to his fantasy football value.

But fantasy football is not real football. Romo makes to many forced throws and is prone to just stupid mistakes. He has done less with more than most QBs could ever think of. With the talent Dallas has had a solid QB would have pushed them past the Giants in the East.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo gets a lot of love due to his fantasy football value.

But fantasy football is not real football. Romo makes to many forced throws and is prone to just stupid mistakes. He has done less with more than most QBs could ever think of. With the talent Dallas has had a solid QB would have pushed them past the Giants in the East.

How is Glassford working out for the Lambs? :what: He couldn't even get the best WR in the NFL double digit touch downs. A Lamb fan with a opinion, too funny...:laugh

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Glassford working out for the Lambs? :what: He couldn't even get the best WR in the NFL double digit touch downs. A Lamb fan with a opinion, too funny...:laugh

This is what we call "deflection"

You could have easily chose to tear his argument to shreds but instead you resort to sophomoric plays on names. I mean, at least try to make them funny if you're going to go that route.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what we call "deflection"

You could have easily chose to tear his argument to shreds but instead you resort to sophomoric plays on names. I mean, at least try to make them funny if you're going to go that route.

I will keep that in mind next time I mention Sheli :fap: :stfu:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok gents, let's keep this civil. I thought we had a pretty good conversation going here. Let's keep the name calling and hostility to a minimum. And please no "he started it!" nonsense. Back on topic, will anything short of a Super Bowl change people's opinions of Romo?

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok gents, let's keep this civil. I thought we had a pretty good conversation going here. Let's keep the name calling and hostility to a minimum. And please no "he started it!" nonsense. Back on topic, will anything short of a Super Bowl change people's opinions of Romo?

Winning cures all, btw who is your team

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thing truly out of his control conspire against him and he plays completely lights out down the stretch in every single big game, he converts some people. The rest need a Super Bowl from him.

Short of the first, it will be hard to make up for the opportunities he's already thrown away.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will keep that in mind next time I mention Sheli :fap: :stfu:

You like jerking off on dudes

mellow.gif