• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tomsula New HC

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the general board:

Quote:

Ian Rapoport said he was told Harbaugh went to York shortly after being hired and told him he wanted a different GM and York actually told Baalke that and Trent never got over it. There was bad blood between them his entire time there. So you had a new HC that wanted a different GM and an owner clearly dumb enough to actually tell his current GM that.

It was all badly botched from start to finish.

this doesn't make sense, if Harbaugh already didn't like Baalke, he wouldn't have joined the 49ers? They meet and interview for the hiring process so he knew the power structure/roles.

OR something serious happened right after Harbaugh got there?

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke stop with the crap. his responses to harbaugh and Gase rumors were a joke. this guy is pissing me off

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the general board:

Quote:

Ian Rapoport said he was told Harbaugh went to York shortly after being hired and told him he wanted a different GM and York actually told Baalke that and Trent never got over it. There was bad blood between them his entire time there. So you had a new HC that wanted a different GM and an owner clearly dumb enough to actually tell his current GM that.

this doesn't make sense, if Harbaugh already didn't like Baalke, he wouldn't have joined the 49ers? They meet and interview for the hiring process so he knew the power structure/roles.

I agree. this is a bad post or write up by Ian. it doesnt make sense. Harbaugh had other options.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the general board:

Quote:

Things have to be perfect or he moves on to Miami? How many of you have jobs that didn't have any anticipated issues that you would have wished to be different but couldn't change? My guess is that he could have wanted a specific person but didn't push the issue. He might have requested his GM thinking it wasn't going to be shared with Baalke.

I don't rely on Rapaport by any means - in fact, I've used his reports as assurance that the opposite would happen, like in the Alex Smith trade, when he expressed doubt in us getting much, I knew we'd get a lot. However, I don't see how this report can't mesh with reality, as it doesn't claim that Harbaugh found Baalke unbearable from the start - just that he had his own guy in mind. I bet a lot of coaches have someone in mind when they come in. Harbaugh could have kept it to himself knowing the structure, but maybe he thought he had that sway. It isn't the first time someone has come in thinking they had it. I mean, with how much they wanted Tomsula, he should be asking for some perks. Just kidding.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of when Jerry hired Dave Campo to coach the Cowboys. Didn't go well for us either. I listened to a couple of interviews Tomsula did and the dude sounds dumb as a rock. I guess we'll see what happens but I feel for you.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of when Jerry hired Dave Campo to coach the Cowboys. Didn't go well for us either. I listened to a couple of interviews Tomsula did and the dude sounds dumb as a rock. I guess we'll see what happens but I feel for you.

I dont think he is dumb. He doesnt have good communication skills in a formal environment and clearly is uncomfortable with the press. He doesnt have the experience I would want as a HC, but he is a really good position coach

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula is a Big fan of Kap. Well he better be because he is your QB if u like it or not. Im ready for FA and Draft. We need to add some pieces.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things have to be perfect or he moves on to Miami? How many of you have jobs that didn't have any anticipated issues that you would have wished to be different but couldn't change? My guess is that he could have wanted a specific person but didn't push the issue. He might have requested his GM thinking it wasn't going to be shared with Baalke.

I don't rely on Rapaport by any means - in fact, I've used his reports as assurance that the opposite would happen, like in the Alex Smith trade, when he expressed doubt in us getting much, I knew we'd get a lot. However, I don't see how this report can't mesh with reality, as it doesn't claim that Harbaugh found Baalke unbearable from the start - just that he had his own guy in mind. I bet a lot of coaches have someone in mind when they come in. Harbaugh could have kept it to himself knowing the structure, but maybe he thought he had that sway. It isn't the first time someone has come in thinking they had it. I mean, with how much they wanted Tomsula, he should be asking for some perks. Just kidding.

Harbaugh probably thought Jed was smart enough to take his side. Then realized he grossly overestimated Jed's intelligence.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula's in a tough situation. If the 49ers collapse, as I suspect they will, it will be blamed on Tomsula. If the play above .500 it will be because it was the team Harbaugh built.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula's in a tough situation. If the 49ers collapse, as I suspect they will, it will be blamed on Tomsula. If the play above .500 it will be because it was the team Harbaugh built.

It would be more about the team Baalke built. Even Harbaugh's coaching staff, most of them have been run off.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Harbaugh or Baalke?

Either way, not something Tomsula should worry about. I'm sure he'd rather take the latter case, even if it is "Harbaugh's team".

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harbaugh or Baalke?

Either way, not something Tomsula should worry about. I'm sure he'd rather take the latter case, even if it is "Harbaugh's team".

If the Niners have a bad year, the biggest blame will be put on Sonny Boy and deservedly so.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would be more about the team Baalke built. Even Harbaugh's coaching staff, most of them have been run off.

Tomsula, Mangini, and Chryst were from Harbaugh's staff. So most are gone but not in the key spots. don't know about "run off"?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it. GMs rarely get the blame for a team's failure. It'll be Tomsula

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula, Mangini, and Chryst were from Harbaugh's staff. So most are gone but not in the key spots. don't know about "run off"?

Tomsula is not a Harbaugh guy. He was a holdover from Nolan. I would not consider Mangini a Harbaugh guy either. He comes from the Belichick/Parcells tree where Baalke is from. None of these guys came from Stanford with Harbaugh

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. GMs rarely get the blame for a team's failure. It'll be Tomsula

Tomsula will be considered a lousy coach for sure, but the expectations are low. If you follow what 49er fans are saying, and where the critics are pointing fingers, it clearly is at the owner first and then at Baalke. It tells you who is going to get the blame if things go south next year.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula will be considered a lousy coach for sure, but the expectations are low. If you follow what 49er fans are saying, and where the critics are pointing fingers, it clearly is at the owner first and then at Baalke. It tells you who is going to get the blame if things go south next year.
Fair point. That could work in Tomsula's favor.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. That could work in Tomsula's favor.

I can see that working in favor of Tomsula a bit (because York and Baalke are not seen as innocent or good in all this), but for the expectations affect to be significant, the expectation of Tomsula being a lesser coach than Harbaugh can't be the reason of the lowered expectations that will be ok because the expectations were low. I don't know if I'm articulating myself. Tomsula is better than Homer Simpson, but bear with me: If Homer Simpson took over your job, you'd assume him to do a worse job, but when the plant has a fire instead of exploding, sure you blame Burns for hiring Homer, but that doesn't take the blame off of Homer.

But if the expectations this year are low because we don't know how Kaepernick will do, we have some injuries somewhere, St. Louis appears to get better (hypothetically), etc. then these low expectations help Tomsula significantly (above still helped but little).

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that working in favor of Tomsula a bit (because York and Baalke are not seen as innocent or good in all this), but for the expectations affect to be significant, the expectation of Tomsula being a lesser coach than Harbaugh can't be the reason of the lowered expectations that will be ok because the expectations were low. I don't know if I'm articulating myself. Tomsula is better than Homer Simpson, but bear with me: If Homer Simpson took over your job, you'd assume him to do a worse job, but when the plant has a fire instead of exploding, sure you blame Burns for hiring Homer, but that doesn't take the blame off of Homer.

But if the expectations this year are low because we don't know how Kaepernick will do, we have some injuries somewhere, St. Louis appears to get better (hypothetically), etc. then these low expectations help Tomsula significantly (above still helped but little).

No doubt Tomsula will get some criticism. It will be alot of I told you so the team was gonna crash under Tomsula. But the blame and the fans venom will be directed first at Jed York and then Baalke.