• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tomsula New HC

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe both Baalke and Tomsula had inputs on the coaching staff. Let's see if they can have the same success as Harbaugh. The talent is still there, albeit a bit older. Defense is still top ten, but the offense needs to be more explosive and consistent. I hope the Niners make the playoffs in 2015, but I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe both Baalke and Tomsula had inputs on the coaching staff. Let's see if they can have the same success as Harbaugh. The talent is still there, albeit a bit older. Defense is still top ten, but the offense needs to be more explosive and consistent. I hope the Niners make the playoffs in 2015, but I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong.

Hope the offense has better success than it had under Harbaugh. Hopefully, they simply things which all the Chiefs being gone. I heard an interesting comment on KNBR yesterday from one of the beat writers. Some head scratching was going last year as some in the organizaton felt the offensive gave up the middle of the field and there was too much emphasis on pass plays to the sideline.

I wonder if the team will actually be older or younger next year. It could actually be younger next year depending on which free agents come back and who retires. Might see increased playing time for the young guys drafted the past couple of years. Time to see whether the players drafted the past couple of years pan out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, like any other team the GM and new HC has input. The GM helps the HC form his Staff, but the HC makes the final call. This indicates an organization in sync, so why wouldn't it work this way? Darken says it is mostly Baalke who handpicked the staff, with a little input from Tomsula. But it is the other way around.

we've been asking for more offense since.....since.....Garcia to Owens?

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope the offense has better success than it had under Harbaugh. Hopefully, they simply things which all the Chiefs being gone. I heard an interesting comment on KNBR yesterday from one of the beat writers. Some head scratching was going last year as some in the organizaton felt the offensive gave up the middle of the field and there was too much emphasis on pass plays to the sideline.

I wonder if the team will actually be older or younger next year. It could actually be younger next year depending on which free agents come back and who retires. Might see increased playing time for the young guys drafted the past couple of years. Time to see whether the players drafted the past couple of years pan out.

I agree. I'm anxious to see what Ellington and Patton can do will more playing time. If Gore signs with another team, I'm looking forward to see Hyde as the starter. Also want to know how Hunter comes back from his injury. I don't know if Johnson will be back. He might be a cap casualty. This might just be Boldin's last year. Niners definitely need to draft a WR and possibly a TE. It's a contract year for VD so I hope he bounces back after a very dismal season. It remains to be seen if McDonald will be utilize more.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I'm anxious to see what Ellington and Patton can do will more playing time. If Gore signs with another team, I'm looking forward to see Hyde as the starter. Also want to know how Hunter comes back from his injury. I don't know if Johnson will be back. He might be a cap casualty. This might just be Boldin's last year. Niners definitely need to draft a WR and possibly a TE. It's a contract year for VD so I hope he bounces back after a very dismal season. It remains to be seen if McDonald will be utilize more.

I read somewhere the team was going to ask Johnson to restructure his contract. I can't see Boldin back unless he has another really good year and none of the younger WR catches on. Hope McDonald has a better year. I think VD was hurt last year with back and knee issues.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darken, I could say the say thing. What proof do youu have Baakle chose the staff? Some of the staff members have ties to Tomsula and NFl Europe. If Baalke was the one behind choosing the assistants, I doubt we would see any coaches that worked with Tomsula in Europe
True. I have no proof of anything really. All I see here is just what it is...a coaching staff that was put together by the FO. Maybe Tomsula had some sort of input.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, no big deal. not trying to say you're 100% wrong, just felt you're too extreme.

anyway, if this 'new' organization doesn't go well, EVERYONE gets blame. We fans can point fingers like no other, even the Bus Driver will get pulled in. haaaa
Maybe I am still a bit pissed about what went down. This is why I haven't been posting much on the 9ers thread....trying not to be so negative.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Steps for the 49ers Under Jim Tomsula

note the very first sentence under the large, bold, red heading.

"Am I going to be a part of that process? Yes," Baalke said. "Am I going to be the final decision maker? No. Jim is putting together a staff that he feels he can go out and work every day."

That's what I said, Baalke had input and likely used his connections. But he wasn't the ONLY one assembling the Staff.
Believe what you want really. Nothing that you posted leads me to think that Tomsula picked much of his staff and most beyond this forum believes it as well. I'm just going to let this go now. The coaching staff is set no matter how they were picked. Time to move on and look toward FA and the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Believe what you want really. Nothing that you posted leads me to think that Tomsula picked much of his staff and most beyond this forum believes it as well. I'm just going to let this go now. The coaching staff is set no matter how they were picked. Time to move on and look toward FA and the draft.

yeah, as i posted earlier, not a big deal really. It'll all come down to wins anyway, wins affects EVERYONE in the 49er organization, no matter who decided what.

it isn't uncommon for fans (any team, any sport) to let emotions skew their thinking, skew the reality. just that you asked for us to prove it and i had a little time. For others that read these articles now posted, it is pretty clear who made the final decision on Assistants.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was told by a family member last night that he had seen an SI article on the Niners coaching hiring. It said that they had Gase set to hire as HC, and at the last minute told him he had to hire Tomsula for OC. He said no and walked. Anyone else seen that article?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was told by a family member last night that he had seen an SI article on the Niners coaching hiring. It said that they had Gase set to hire as HC, and at the last minute told him he had to hire Tomsula for OC. He said no and walked. Anyone else seen that article?

I think it is earlier in this thread. Baalke has said there were no mandates, but people lie, so who knows. Also, he also said that Tomsula was the only person offered the job. One could say that you can't make mandates to those not given/offered the job and Gase wasn't offered the job because he wouldn't take Tomsula.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is earlier in this thread. Baalke has said there were no mandates, but people lie, so who knows. Also, he also said that Tomsula was the only person offered the job. One could say that you can't make mandates to those not given/offered the job and Gase wasn't offered the job because he wouldn't take Tomsula.

IMO not so much lying, but playing with words?

He might've verbally agreed with Gase, including Tomsula as DC, but didn't give him the formal offer in writing. So when Baalke said only one person was offered the job, he might mean the formal paperwork was only given to Tomsula. Technically, he would be correct cause verbal agreements aren't binding.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He might've verbally agreed with Gase, including Tomsula as DC, but didn't give him the formal offer in writing. So when Baalke said only one person was offered the job, he might mean the formal paperwork was only given to Tomsula. Technically, he would be correct cause verbal agreements aren't binding.

Verbal agreements ARE binding. Been through it a couple of times with businesses that told me one thing then tried to reneg. I pulled out my notes of the conversations and both times they caved and gave what they had first promised. Doesn't mean that Gase really would have pushed that if it was out there, pretty bad way to start a long term relationship. If they pulled a fast one on him he was probably dismayed enough to change his mind about wanting the job.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, playing with words is lying to me. Am I going to blast him for it? Nah, not worth it.

But it's a lie if you say someone that you intend on someone interpreting in a way that is different than what you know.

So if you don't know, truly, then it's not.

If you are just unclear but have no intent, it's not lying.

If you are ambiguous on purpose because you don't want to release more, that's not lying, but it should be clear that you aren't sharing.

It's like how Rick Carlisle addressed Rajon Rondo's talking back - he said it was a coaching decision they disagreed on and the media tried to ask details and he deliberately kept answering that it was a coaching decision and would not clarify if the decision was playcalling or substitutions, etc.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, playing with words is lying to me. Am I going to blast him for it? Nah, not worth it.

But it's a lie if you say someone that you intend on someone interpreting in a way that is different than what you know.

So if you don't know, truly, then it's not.

If you are just unclear but have no intent, it's not lying.

If you are ambiguous on purpose because you don't want to release more, that's not lying, but it should be clear that you aren't sharing.

It's like how Rick Carlisle addressed Rajon Rondo's talking back - he said it was a coaching decision they disagreed on and the media tried to ask details and he deliberately kept answering that it was a coaching decision and would not clarify if the decision was playcalling or substitutions, etc.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Verbal agreements ARE binding. Been through it a couple of times with businesses that told me one thing then tried to reneg. I pulled out my notes of the conversations and both times they caved and gave what they had first promised. Doesn't mean that Gase really would have pushed that if it was out there, pretty bad way to start a long term relationship. If they pulled a fast one on him he was probably dismayed enough to change his mind about wanting the job.

This doesn't sound like this went to court? Sounds like the other party just agreed short of it? But if you guys did in this case, your notes wouldn't carry much weight, if any at all. Not a lawyer but far as i know, verbal agreements aren't binding.

From Baalke's side of the story, he didn't make a formal offer cause he didn't give Gase a written proposal/contract. From Gase's side of the story, he can "report" he got a verbal "offer" from Baalke and i can believe he did. So that's likely how it got out, from Gase's side.

BTW - Not defending Baalke on how he handled this, just saying this is how it isn't flat out lying.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't sound like this went to court? Sounds like the other party just agreed short of it? But if you guys did in this case, your notes wouldn't carry much weight, if any at all. Not a lawyer but far as i know, verbal agreements aren't binding.

From Baalke's side of the story, he didn't make a formal offer cause he didn't give Gase a written proposal/contract. From Gase's side of the story, he can "report" he got a verbal "offer" from Baalke and i can believe he did. So that's likely how it got out, from Gase's side.

BTW - Not defending Baalke on how he handled this, just saying this is how it isn't flat out lying.

If the media is asking about whether Gase was offered the job and it just didn't get to the signing and he says something to indicate that he wasn't, he is flat out lying IF Gase was offered the job and it just didn't get to the signing. Then he would be saying what would be conveying the exact opposite of what is the truth. That is flat out lying, we just don't have proof that Gase was offered the job and got a snag after filling it out.

What I'm trying to say is if you (royal you, not you) are trying to convey that the media is off when they are not, doesn't matter what technicalities there are out there, it is flat out lying. He is setting forth the message that Tomsula was the only guy that it got to a certain stage short of signing. We all know Gase wasn't signed, that wasn't the question. Now, I am saying IF, because I wasn't there and I don't know. I've not known about many lies.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the media is asking about whether Gase was offered the job and it just didn't get to the signing and he says something to indicate that he wasn't, he is flat out lying IF Gase was offered the job and it just didn't get to the signing. Then he would be saying what would be conveying the exact opposite of what is the truth. That is flat out lying, we just don't have proof that Gase was offered the job and got a snag after filling it out.

What I'm trying to say is if you (royal you, not you) are trying to convey that the media is off when they are not, doesn't matter what technicalities there are out there, it is flat out lying. He is setting forth the message that Tomsula was the only guy that it got to a certain stage short of signing. We all know Gase wasn't signed, that wasn't the question. Now, I am saying IF, because I wasn't there and I don't know. I've not known about many lies.

Here's a slightly different scenario...Baalke talks to Gase for hours and hashes out all the details. He says (verbally) ok looks like we got it set, just need to get approval from my Owner. If Jed gives me the ok, we'll send you the contract. Baalke goes back to SF and briefs Jed on all the details they hammered out.

Jed says not quite, tell Gase to use Tomsula as his DC. Baalke relays this to Gase and he says forget it.

In this scenario Baalke didn't offer the HC job to Gase. Now if you're asked by the media if you offered the job to Gase, what is your answer?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a slightly different scenario...Baalke talks to Gase for hours and hashes out all the details. He says (verbally) ok looks like we got it set, just need to get approval from my Owner. If Jed gives me the ok, we'll send you the contract. Baalke goes back to SF and briefs Jed on all the details they hammered out.

Jed says not quite, tell Gase to use Tomsula as his DC. Baalke relays this to Gase and he says forget it.

In this scenario Baalke didn't offer the HC job to Gase. Now if you're asked by the media if you offered the job to Gase, what is your answer?
I'd say we talked to a lot of different coaching options and did a thorough search, discussed football and business, and the best fit with what we were looking for from philosophies, approach to the game, etc., Tomsula was our choice. We liked him from the beginning and what he had to offer. Yada yada yada.

Maybe I wouldn't say the from the beginning part, but I'm fine with not answering the question and leaving some things private. I'm just talking about IF he did offer him the job, indicating/implying that he didn't is flat out lying. Didn't mean to persecute him for lying, IF he did.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The news of the 49ers being in salary cap trouble really makes me worried that Jim Tomsula was hired to be Dennis Erickson Part 2. :L