• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tom Cable interviewed for 49ers' coaching job?

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he takes the line with him.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Steve Hutchinson Curse. I've seen enough coaching changes (HC, OC and OL coach all included), personnel changes and priority changes (both financial and philosophical/tactical) over the past decade or so of below average to horrendous offensive line play to be fairly confident in saying that firing Cable and/or Bevell or letting them get hired away won't necessarily solve this problem. Same with scrapping the line we have now and starting over... again. I truly believe that our best chance of having an offensive line that doesn't make us all want to bang our heads against a wall on a regular basis next year is continuity. Continuity with the players themselves (note that that doesn't mean "no changes whatsoever") and with the players and coaches. These guys need to know each other's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses and be able to compensate accordingly. Scrapping a lot of it and starting over, up to and including changing out the coordinator and/or line coach, is just gonna lead to another year of resetting the learning curve.

As bad as the offensive line has been, though, the team has largely been able to overcome it and succeed anyway for the past five years. The offensive line we had when the Hawks won the Super Bowl was arguably worse than this year's line was, but because Wilson was healthy and really good at escaping defenders and Marshawn Lynch was harder to bring down behind the line than any running back I've seen in a long time, the Hawks were able to get away with it and win a championship. The stability and swagger that having a guy like Lynch brought to the running game wasn't there for a significant portion of this season and Wilson's mobility and escapability took multiple hits within the first three weeks of the year, which exposed the offensive line for what it's been for years. Get some continuity going on the line and there's a good chance they'll be a good deal better next year. Combine that with the full return of Wilson's mobility/escapability and a stable running game and I'm willing to bet that the offense will turn back into a top 10 offense.

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive line we had when the Hawks won the Super Bowl was arguably worse than this year's line was,

Not even close. I've never seen a line as bad as ours was this year. Ever.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know, our OL in 2013 was actually decent. unger was a probowler, okung made the probowl. the rest of the starters are actually starting on other teams. sweezy was the weak link. now we have weak links across the board.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Steve Hutchinson Curse. I've seen enough coaching changes (HC, OC and OL coach all included), personnel changes and priority changes (both financial and philosophical/tactical) over the past decade or so of below average to horrendous offensive line play to be fairly confident in saying that firing Cable and/or Bevell or letting them get hired away won't necessarily solve this problem. Same with scrapping the line we have now and starting over... again. I truly believe that our best chance of having an offensive line that doesn't make us all want to bang our heads against a wall on a regular basis next year is continuity. Continuity with the players themselves (note that that doesn't mean "no changes whatsoever") and with the players and coaches. These guys need to know each other's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses and be able to compensate accordingly. Scrapping a lot of it and starting over, up to and including changing out the coordinator and/or line coach, is just gonna lead to another year of resetting the learning curve.

As bad as the offensive line has been, though, the team has largely been able to overcome it and succeed anyway for the past five years. The offensive line we had when the Hawks won the Super Bowl was arguably worse than this year's line was, but because Wilson was healthy and really good at escaping defenders and Marshawn Lynch was harder to bring down behind the line than any running back I've seen in a long time, the Hawks were able to get away with it and win a championship. The stability and swagger that having a guy like Lynch brought to the running game wasn't there for a significant portion of this season and Wilson's mobility and escapability took multiple hits within the first three weeks of the year, which exposed the offensive line for what it's been for years. Get some continuity going on the line and there's a good chance they'll be a good deal better next year. Combine that with the full return of Wilson's mobility/escapability and a stable running game and I'm willing to bet that the offense will turn back into a top 10 offense.
Can't agree with you here man.

If Cable left the team RS would be forced to give up on the 'project' players for the line. It hasn't worked. It won't work. Let basketball players go play basketball and leave defensive linemen on that side of the ball.

Name me one competent offensive tackle Cable has produced or even coached since Okung left. It's been an unmitigated disaster and it shows no sign of improving. Not at all.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even okung was never that good. Too many mental mistakes.

In related news, mcdaniels has pulled his name from consideration for the 9ers job.

Between shanahan and cable.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close. I've never seen a line as bad as ours was this year. Ever.

Personally, I thought last year's line was far and away worse than this one - and not even close.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even okung was never that good. Too many mental mistakes.

In related news, mcdaniels has pulled his name from consideration for the 9ers job.

Between shanahan and cable.

If it is cable. There is something very wrong for Atlanta's boy wonder

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree with you here man.

If Cable left the team RS would be forced to give up on the 'project' players for the line. It hasn't worked. It won't work. Let basketball players go play basketball and leave defensive linemen on that side of the ball.

Name me one competent offensive tackle Cable has produced or even coached since Okung left. It's been an unmitigated disaster and it shows no sign of improving. Not at all.
Okung left last year sooo, we have whom to choose from?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung left last year sooo, we have whom to choose from?
Well they ran 4 through either tackle slot this year? And go back to the start of the RS/cable era and name another tackle not named Okung that was worth a piss.

Britt has signs of becoming a serviceable center and they get so-so play out of the guards, but this team has flat out sucked at selecting/developing tackles. Like worst in the league level sucking.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cable should bail out if offered a gig. He has a splendid reputation in the NFL community and the only people I have seen or heard put him down were Seahawk fans.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Steve Hutchinson, didn't he raise the 12th man flag ? If he did that certainly wasn't the best choice, I can think of a 1,000 other people I would want doing that over Hutch...

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers interview Seahawks assistant Tom Cable

FGS, take him. His lack of expertise at the O-line will show how useless he can be overall.

That sorry ass O-line was not Cable's fault.
Its the GM and coach who failed to get NFL-caliber players for the O-line positions.
As much as he was able to coach them, they were not professional level athletes.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cable should bail out if offered a gig. He has a splendid reputation in the NFL community and the only people I have seen or heard put him down were Seahawk fans.

I think you develop a thick skin in a whole shit ton of professions. Coaches being one of them. Up here in Canada, parents yell at minor hockey coaches for not calling the right plays, or not playing their kids enough. Or worse.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you develop a thick skin in a whole shit ton of professions. Coaches being one of them. Up here in Canada, parents yell at minor hockey coaches for not calling the right plays, or not playing their kids enough. Or worse.

That happens here in the US too, except instead of hockey, it's baseball and football coaches.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Cable fulfills the NFL's requirement that teams must interview at least one dumb, fat white guy for their HC position. Called the Rex Ryan rule.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you put that scrub in to protect your franchise QB?

<shrug> What choice did they have? The two T's they signed this offseason were just as bad, with no future upside.

AGAIN, they've got a plan in place, and you can argue that 3/5ths of it has worked out alright this year.

Anyway, point stands, Fant is an INCREDIBLE athlete. Will he ever be a football players? Jury is still out. But athletic ability isn't the reason he's failing.