• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tom Brady Negotiating with Roger Goodell for Settlement, NFL fears court

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeflateGate: Tom Brady Negotiating with Roger Goodell for Settlement
By Rich Hill@PP_Rich_Hill on Jul 23, 2015, 5:24a 9

usa-today-8362643.0.jpg

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

The two sides of the investigation have come together to try and find a mutual ground- it's not happening.

 TWEET (9) SHARE (15) PIN
According to Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk, and confirmed with additional sources, Tom Brady's camp has had settlement discussions with Roger Goodell and the NFL.

This does not mean that Brady is accepting guilt. This means that the league is trying to find an outcome that doesn't lead to a court case. Per Florio, a settlement doesn't appear likely.

Multiple sources have pointed to a settlement where Brady receives no games of suspension, but will have a game check (or two) penalized. It's uncertain if this would involve Brady accepting any blame or not, or if the league would be able to note that the penalty is for Brady's lack of cooperation in the procedure, and not for his potential knowledge of any shenanigans with the football. While docking a game check would be far greater than the $50,000 fine that Brett Favre received for his lack of cooperation, a monetary fine is more in line with prior precedence than a four game suspension.

According to Florio, Goodell is under pressure from multiple owners to uphold the suspension for Brady. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Bills,Jets, and Dolphins owners were an active part of the discussion, or theBroncos, Steelers, and Colts ownerships.

Of course, we know that at least five team owners have publicly come out in support of Brady's penalty, including Jerry Jones of the Cowboys, Arthur Blank of the Falcons, and Bob McNair of the Texans. The owners in support of the penalty are considered just powerful asPatriots owner Robert Kraft (Jones), or just below (Blank, McNair).

Florio adds that Goodell is receiving legal advisement from attorney Gregg Levy, stating that "Levy has been warning Goodell that it will be difficult to make a suspension stick in court, even under the heightened standard that applies to challenging the outcome of a private arbitration agreement."

If the NFL believes they'll lose in court, Brady has no incentive to settle. Of course, if the suspension is revoked and any blame of any possible deflation is removed from Brady, then perhaps the Patriots quarterback would be fine with letting the whole ordeal end.

The latest scuttlebutt is that a verdict is expected tomorrow afternoon. Of course, that has been the talk for the past few weeks. So we'll report the news when it happens.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as it should be anyway. A huge fine at most.

and I don't find it all "funny" about the teams who are publicly calling out Brady

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that the Pats just happen to play Dallas and Houston this season. More incentive to kick ass!!

Reactions: BUD

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and I don't find it all "funny" about the teams who are publicly calling out Brady

If he really thinks he's innocent of ordering the balls to be deflated below regulation, how can he accept ANY penalty?
... and that "uncooperative" BS on turning over personal property wouldn't make it through any American court

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really thinks he's innocent of ordering the balls to be deflated below regulation, how can he accept ANY penalty?
... and that "uncooperative" BS on turning over personal property wouldn't make it through any American court

True, but I would think he just wants all this crap to go away and clearly Goodell isn't allowing it to go away so at this point he might just take the fine and walk away. However, I still think he will fight everything.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
98.5 this morning said there are rumors that the NFL "is very afraid" to take this to court after all the failures to uphold prior suspensions.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the league is full of shit on this topic, a fine lets them save some face and lets Tom get back on with the season. Always should have gone down that way. The suspension is laughable.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
98.5 this morning said there are rumors that the NFL "is very afraid" to take this to court after all the failures to uphold prior suspensions.

this needs to go to court to show everyone how the sting was handled and all the other nonsense that went on in the league office about it.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but I would think he just wants all this crap to go away and clearly Goodell isn't allowing it to go away so at this point he might just take the fine and walk away. However, I still think he will fight everything.

I think of Brady as sort of a goofball. Not a dumbass, but just a simple guy focused on playing ball with every synapse firing. So yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if he compromised. His owner certainly would do it. But the reality is, any compromise would be seen by all (fans and peers alike) as bowing to guilt. The big deal to this isn't just cheating. It's lying about cheating. Which is much worse, and I don't think many are aware of that right now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of Brady as sort of a goofball. Not a dumbass, but just a simple guy focused on playing ball with every synapse firing. So yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if he compromised. His owner certainly would do it. But the reality is, any compromise would be seen by all (fans and peers alike) as bowing to guilt. The big deal to this isn't just cheating. It's lying about cheating. Which is much worse, and I don't think many are aware of that right now.

No matter what Brady does or the league does with Brady he will forever be associated/labeled as a "cheater/liar"

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what Brady does or the league does with Brady he will forever be associated/labeled as a "cheater/liar"

there will always be some taint, but more so if he accepts any kind of fine. and I don't see him accepting any type of guilt.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the part everyone needs to focus on:

Florio adds that Goodell is receiving legal advisement from attorney Gregg Levy, stating that "Levy has been warning Goodell that it will be difficult to make a suspension stick in court, even under the heightened standard that applies to challenging the outcome of a private arbitration agreement."

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is getting wiped out, brady is fined game checks for the failure to cooperate, and is exonerated.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the league is full of shit on this topic, a fine lets them save some face and lets Tom get back on with the season. Always should have gone down that way. The suspension is laughable.

This whole thing has been a farce, a sideshow. It doesn't give a QB any advantage with less air( ball is less spiral, and more wobbly) but sure will give the RB an advantage, sure Brady cares about the RB doing his job. I remember when Ridley fumbled and had to sit out games for it. Reminds me of the move "The Program" when the guy couldn't hang on to the ball, the coach made hime carry the ball 24/7 throughout all his classes too. I know all the refs noticed the huge difference in air, but remained silent. Let's get this non-story over with

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao it doesn't matter brady is guilty and will always will be seen as a cheater except in ne . nfl worse could happen is to lose a case big deal . brady would be the next oj simpson only difference is on the football field .

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao it doesn't matter brady is guilty and will always will be seen as a cheater except in ne . nfl worse could happen is to lose a case big deal . brady would be the next oj simpson only difference is on the football field .
yes, brady murdered people on the football field.

you're right.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lmao if he isn't guilty why do you feel this way ? i think billy cheat was the master mind behind it all . funny part is the lost draft picks and a million dollars .