• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "Philip Rivers" Superthread

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just wanted to bump this thread to show how silly & short-sided people can be sometimes.

Phillip Rivers is a top-5 QB in the NFL and has been for the better part of a decade. He does more with VERY little help than almost any QB in the league. I'd beat up Ray Lewis' mother for a QB like that.

Give him a better OL and healthy receivers and he's an MVP candidate. He should've won the MVP in 2008, but his jersey doesn't say "Manning" on the back, so he didn't get the votes.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree a lot of fans are shortsighted. Top 5 is debatable but Rivers has been very good over his career. It's probably more about where his team resides than anything. The other year Eli Manning was being ballyhooed for a pretty pedestrian season while Rivers was being lambasted for having a terrible one (with better numbers).

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, where he plays is definitely a factor. Small market 3,000 miles away from the east coast. I don't think any Charger fan would disagree he's had a rough go the last couple of years. But I think McCoy and Whisenhunt definitely exposed what the issue was. While the O-line was an issue and improved this year, the improvement is not as big as the stats might suggest. The key to Rivers success this year was an offense designed to get the ball out quick.

Chargers are pretty much done for this year and they have nobody but themselves to blame. Multiple, last play losses to bad teams will bite you every time. But does any other team have 3 road wins against current playoff teams?

They definitely made some strides this year and had arguably the best draft of any team. Fluker is a beast, Te'o missed time with injury but looks better every week, and the 3rd rounder Keenan Allen is the favorite for OROY. Another draft like this, Freeney and Ingram back to full strength, and another offseason and I think the Chargers will be one of the favorites to get in the playoffs next year.

Only worry is that Whisenhunt will take a head coaching job, but with McCoy's background as an OC I'm sure he'll find an adequate replacement.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked the Ryan Mathews draft decision. You could have done a lot better and should probably be on the lookout for good talent outside of the first round in the upcoming draft. I could be wrong but I think Mathews has 1 more season in his contract and he's been injured or disappointing for SD.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Aaron Rodgers disagrees

The 5-year span I meant was his first 5 years from '06 to 2010. I know he's had a couple of down seasons, so he hasn't been the best QB over the last 5 years.

Rodgers didn't start until 2008, but I agree he's been the best QB in football since then.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked the Ryan Mathews draft decision. You could have done a lot better and should probably be on the lookout for good talent outside of the first round in the upcoming draft. I could be wrong but I think Mathews has 1 more season in his contract and he's been injured or disappointing for SD.

Didn't care much for it either, especially since they gave away so much to move up. He's starting to play well now that there's a decent line in front of him, but there are a lot of RBs ahead of him that went much lower in the draft than he did.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread:

:L
Oh, you want some necro threads...let me go get David_Sons 'Whats the big deal about Seattle?' thread or USC_Doom's 'Love my Tampa Bay Bucs' threads

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying this since he's been in the league. Dan Fouts, Jr.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is just something about rivers that rubs me the wrong way , he plays for Sad Diego and he is a huge drama queen diva, if he played for a decent team he'd probably be a top 5 quarterback.
but his record is what it says he is, another good quarterback whose talents are wasted .

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is just something about rivers that rubs me the wrong way , he plays for Sad Diego and he is a huge drama queen diva, if he played for a decent team he'd probably be a top 5 quarterback.
but his record is what it says he is, another good quarterback whose talents are wasted .

His record is 80-53. He's currently 3rd among all active QBs for career QB rating, just ahead of some guy named Brady. He's #2 among all active QBs in career YPA. He's #7 among all active QBs in yards/game, #5 in completion percentage, If "his record is what it says he is", then he's pretty freakin good.

How many QBs have the Raiders had since somebody other than Rivers last started a Charger game back in 2005?

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His record is 80-53. He's currently 3rd among all active QBs for career QB rating, just ahead of some guy named Brady. He's #2 among all active QBs in career YPA. He's #7 among all active QBs in yards/game, #5 in completion percentage, If "his record is what it says he is", then he's pretty freakin good.

How many QBs have the Raiders had since somebody other than Rivers last started a Charger game back in 2005?

Notice I didn't say he was a "bad" quarterback, just not as "freakin good" as he could be, I did say he was a good QB who's talent has been wasted in Sad Diego. In the meantime, I am quite sure he is "crying" all the way to the bank.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like the Raiders??? LOL

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree. trouble is Manning is portrayed as being so squeeky clean it's to the point of sickening me, so which one of these clowns do i root for...?

definitely a case of figuring out the lesser of 2 evils...