• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part about the twitter justification is that it comes with discussion of PK not being as good defensively, similar to every debate about showy offensive defenseman. Okay, so, let's discuss Mr. Weber's defensive abilities, shall we?

Story 1 (9).png

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there something wrong with the shot suppression under Shea Weber?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me jump to the defense of Larsson for a quick second. The guy has gotten better and better since he has been playing full time. His advanced stats are very good and he proved to be a first pairing defenseman last season. If not for Pete Deboer stunting his growth for 2 1/2 years he'd be even better (Interviewer after talking with Scott Stevens when he became head coach "We heard more good things about Larsson in 3 minutes with Stevens than we have in 3 years with Deboer").

I do think the Devils won the trade but it's not nearly as lopsided as most think. Although Larsson is going to Edmonton so it wouldn't shock me if he completely tanks moving forward. This makes re-signing Jon Merrill more of a priority though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me jump to the defense of Larsson for a quick second. The guy has gotten better and better since he has been playing full time. His advanced stats are very good and he proved to be a first pairing defenseman last season. If not for Pete Deboer stunting his growth for 2 1/2 years he'd be even better (Interviewer after talking with Scott Stevens when he became head coach "We heard more good things about Larsson in 3 minutes with Stevens than we have in 3 years with Deboer").

I do think the Devils won the trade but it's not nearly as lopsided as most think. Although Larsson is going to Edmonton so it wouldn't shock me if he completely tanks moving forward. This makes re-signing Jon Merrill more of a priority though.

He's a solid young player, but for a talent like Hall you simply expect an elite return. Heck, Subban would've been a lot closer to fair. Both teams would've been better off making that move, oddly enough.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, can I get a hero comparison between Larsson and Sbisa? Because that is what Larsson will look like a year from now.

/and Weber will look like 3 years from now

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anyone is busting up Larsson personally. In fact last year when the Jackets were looking to get another D man, I would have loved him or Merrill from NJ. And if it was Johansen for him, I would have gone Nuclear.

The thing is, no matter how solid Larsson is, he cannot escape two facts:
1) He is not now, nor is he ever likely to be a true #1 D on any NHL team.
2) He was just traded for one of the purest talents at LW in the league.

It's nothing to do with Larsson personally. Anything short of PK Subban or Erik Karlsson in return for Hall would have been highway robbery.

Grand Larssony, if you will.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY ... this is not the day to poke fun at Benning ... that was yesterday and tomorrow but today ... its Marc Bergevins and Chiapets day

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see.
Alex Chiasson moved for an actual asset. Check.

Patrick Wiercioch fired into the figurative sun. Check.

PK Subban moved out of the division. Check.

No more 6 years of Stamkos to Leafs is a given. Check.

No more talk of Tavares to leafs is a given. ch...oh well.

Life ain't perfect but this has been one decent week.

:hockeysmile:

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that be on them?

I'm confused too, but some preliminary reading seems to indicate that the penalty depends on which team benefited. If Nashvilled paid Weber $30million over 3 seasons but with a cap hit of $24 million, then they "benefited" to the tune of $6 million before trading him. Trading his contract doesn't get them off the hook for that.

I'm sure we'll hear some experts give the right explanation over the next few days

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would that be on them?
It's my understanding that it's whatever team(s) received a cap benefit, and not the team that the player retires from. That's why Tim Murray said they had to buy out Erhoff instead of trading him, because they had a significant cap benefit on the front end.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused too, but some preliminary reading seems to indicate that the penalty depends on which team benefited. If Nashvilled paid Weber $30million over 3 seasons but with a cap hit of $24 million, then they "benefited" to the tune of $6 million before trading him. Trading his contract doesn't get them off the hook for that.

I'm sure we'll hear some experts give the right explanation over the next few days
It's my understanding that it's whatever team(s) received a cap benefit, and not the team that the player retires from. That's why Tim Murray said they had to buy out Erhoff instead of trading him, because they had a significant cap benefit on the front end.

Interesting. Short of big injury, I feel like he probably plays it out anyway...poorly, but he'll play it out. What if MTL buys him out down the line?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that you were just using example numbers, but if I'm understanding it right, the actual numbers would be $56M in actual salary vs. only (haha, only) about $31.4M in cap hit, so almost $25M in savings. The recapture penalty is based on how long is still left on the contract, but if he retired with say two years left, I think Nash would face $25M in cap penalties over just 4 years!