• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Tatis Jr. play just drives me nuts thinking they got him for James Shields who just sucked. Here is a little Mariners comparison for you.

7/31/2016 M's Trade Miley for Miranda
Miley was 7 - 8 with 4.98 ERA and 29 years old at time of trade.

7/4/2016 SD Trade James Shields AND CASH for Tatis Jr and another player
Shields was 2 - 7 with 4.28 ERA and 34 years old at time of trade.

This is why I don't trust Dipoto to find enough young talent to compete...ever.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NON Mariners News:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broxton is the most natural CF we have had in a long time.

Been a huge need forever. You can live with a guy not producing at the plate if he plays a solid CF. But if they hit and field like Mallex and Dee then its just pointless

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3-6 Halftime Preseason Hawks Game > any 2019 Mariners game

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's an interesting argument, but if the Mariners want to spend I think it shouldn't be this offseason.

If everything goes well in 2021, the team should be above .500 but not a playoff contender. They'll have a lot of young guys out there getting some of their first major league playing time. 2022 is realistic if everything goes well.

By 2022, Rendon will be 32. Hard to say how long he will remain a productive player, but I've become really worried about giving guys a lot of money when they're on the wrong side of 30.

I think it's too early to start spending. I'd rather wait and see how things look after 2020 or 2021, then open up the checkbooks. They need to be smart and not go all in as "buyers," and end up once again where we are now and have to go through another fucking "rebuild."

It's way too hard to imagine what the situation will look like 3-4 years from now.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Tatis Jr. play just drives me nuts thinking they got him for James Shields who just sucked. Here is a little Mariners comparison for you.

7/31/2016 M's Trade Miley for Miranda
Miley was 7 - 8 with 4.98 ERA and 29 years old at time of trade.

7/4/2016 SD Trade James Shields AND CASH for Tatis Jr and another player
Shields was 2 - 7 with 4.28 ERA and 34 years old at time of trade.

This is why I don't trust Dipoto to find enough young talent to compete...ever.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but man would I love to have Fernando Tatis Jr. My friend texts me highlights of him all the time and he could be one of the most exciting players in the game.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting argument, but if the Mariners want to spend I think it shouldn't be this offseason.

If everything goes well in 2021, the team should be above .500 but not a playoff contender. They'll have a lot of young guys out there getting some of their first major league playing time. 2022 is realistic if everything goes well.

By 2022, Rendon will be 32. Hard to say how long he will remain a productive player, but I've become really worried about giving guys a lot of money when they're on the wrong side of 30.

I think it's too early to start spending. I'd rather wait and see how things look after 2020 or 2021, then open up the checkbooks. They need to be smart and not go all in as "buyers," and end up once again where we are now and have to go through another fucking "rebuild."

It's way too hard to imagine what the situation will look like 3-4 years from now.

I would concur with OP on this.
It is a wait and see situation right now with these young kids.
Why spend money in off season, ( weak market this year) when you can sit on the cash and wait and see if a younger bigger need comes along down say 2021 over pay to make sure you get that possible vet bat or starting pitcher.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would concur with OP on this.
It is a wait and see situation right now with these young kids.
Why spend money in off season, ( weak market this year) when you can sit on the cash and wait and see if a younger bigger need comes along down say 2021 over pay to make sure you get that possible vet bat or starting pitcher.

It would be interesting if back in 2015 or 2016 someone did an article about what the team would look like in 2019. It's really difficult to determine how things will play out. What if some of those prospects suffer severe injuries that impairs their development? What happens if J.P. Crawford suddenly falls off a cliff? What happens if Mitch Haniger gets traded? What happens if Kikuchi continues pitching poorly? What if some lowly rated prospect shoots up the majors and plays incredibly? I could go on and on. So difficult to really try to project what the team will look like in a few years with so many variables.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight is always 20/20 but man would I love to have Fernando Tatis Jr. My friend texts me highlights of him all the time and he could be one of the most exciting players in the game.

Some call it hindsight, but others call it good evaluating. He was ranked right behind JP a couple years back.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be interesting if back in 2015 or 2016 someone did an article about what the team would look like in 2019. It's really difficult to determine how things will play out. What if some of those prospects suffer severe injuries that impairs their development? What happens if J.P. Crawford suddenly falls off a cliff? What happens if Mitch Haniger gets traded? What happens if Kikuchi continues pitching poorly? What if some lowly rated prospect shoots up the majors and plays incredibly? I could go on and on. So difficult to really try to project what the team will look like in a few years with so many variables.[/QUOTE

Yeah nobody can really look ahead with this game. Players advance at their own rate.

Except for today I will call it, Kikuchi was a waste of money! He will never be an average pitcher in this league.
I think gambling on a guy that was 69-40 in Japan was foolish spending....... Along with the mileage on his arm from 8 yrs of pitching over there.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally disagree. Even a 'rebuild' needs to start winning before the time comes or the guys you are counting on as saviors start to accept losing and you need established veterans with winning pedigrees to show them the way. Plus, if you wait to 2021 to add because that is your year and you pull an Ohtani, another season down the drain. And waiting to 2022 would be foolish for a team 'rebuilding' in 2019. All things need to be a go in year 3 or you truly don't have a plan. The draft shows how unpredictable baseball is so forecasting 4 years out is just throwing darts at a board and not real planning.

Now I agree with the Rendon comment even if 2021 is the plan. His best days are past him and signing him long term would be like having two Stagers at 3B...which they would. Pass.