• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I normally would be excited about this but now i'm like, "Who cares"... Sad...
Because chances are, he's gonna end up with some freak injury again..... I don' t know if anything else can be worse than a rupture nut from playing baseball, but the injury bug will find something for Haniger.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy chit: a Danny Hultzen sighting!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to the game will always still be fun at the Stadium. You don’t even really have to pay attention to the game and the park itself if still fun. All the other stuff I agree is better than sitting on the couch and either yelling at the TV or hell even right now it isn’t background noise in my house.

Right thats my thinking. Since i didnt pay for the ticket I think I can justify buying a $12 craft beer to help make the on field product a little more enjoyable.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! I’ve never heard of that!
Blows my mind what could’ve been with that trade!

Makes you wonder what other trades the missed out on

Mariners trade Randy Johnson to Toronto for Steve Karsay and Mike Timlin, 1993

The Blue Jays were reigning World Series champs in 1993, but GM Pat Gillick wasn't satisfied. He wanted another title, and he was chasing two future Hall of Famers to get it: Rickey Henderson and Randy Johnson.

As the Deadline approached, Gillick had two different deals going -- Henderson for Karsay and a player to be named later, Johnson for Karsay and Timlin. The Big Unit, though, was his first choice. After years of a lot of potential and not a lot of control, Johnson had finally put it all together with the Mariners, finishing the season with a 3.24 ERA and a runner-up finish in the AL Cy Young Award race. There was just one problem: Seattle GM Woody Woodward was out golfing, and in the era before cell phones, Gillick couldn't get a hold of him.

With the clock ticking, Gillick didn't want to be stuck with nothing, so when then-Oakland GM Sandy Alderson called to say he had accepted the Henderson deal, Gillick said yes. Don't worry, though, this roller coaster is just getting started: Henderson informed the A's that he wanted compensation for waiving his no-trade clause, throwing a wrench in the works. While that was being negotiated, Woodward finally called -- he wanted to move forward with the Johnson deal.

By that point, though, Gillick had already given his word to Alderson, and he felt compelled to honor the Henderson trade. With just minutes left on the clock, the Jays, A's and Henderson all reached an agreement, and Rickey was sent to Toronto. Gillick probably doesn't have too much buyer's remorse: Rickey stole 22 bases in 44 games down the stretch in Toronto, and the season ended on a high note.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners trade Randy Johnson to Toronto for Steve Karsay and Mike Timlin, 1993

The Blue Jays were reigning World Series champs in 1993, but GM Pat Gillick wasn't satisfied. He wanted another title, and he was chasing two future Hall of Famers to get it: Rickey Henderson and Randy Johnson.

As the Deadline approached, Gillick had two different deals going -- Henderson for Karsay and a player to be named later, Johnson for Karsay and Timlin. The Big Unit, though, was his first choice. After years of a lot of potential and not a lot of control, Johnson had finally put it all together with the Mariners, finishing the season with a 3.24 ERA and a runner-up finish in the AL Cy Young Award race. There was just one problem: Seattle GM Woody Woodward was out golfing, and in the era before cell phones, Gillick couldn't get a hold of him.

With the clock ticking, Gillick didn't want to be stuck with nothing, so when then-Oakland GM Sandy Alderson called to say he had accepted the Henderson deal, Gillick said yes. Don't worry, though, this roller coaster is just getting started: Henderson informed the A's that he wanted compensation for waiving his no-trade clause, throwing a wrench in the works. While that was being negotiated, Woodward finally called -- he wanted to move forward with the Johnson deal.

By that point, though, Gillick had already given his word to Alderson, and he felt compelled to honor the Henderson trade. With just minutes left on the clock, the Jays, A's and Henderson all reached an agreement, and Rickey was sent to Toronto. Gillick probably doesn't have too much buyer's remorse: Rickey stole 22 bases in 44 games down the stretch in Toronto, and the season ended on a high note.

Man I had no idea on that one. Thankfully we were able to get Timlin anyway right:trash:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I had no idea on that one. Thankfully we were able to get Timlin anyway right:trash:

I never knew this either. I knew about Posada deal, the Mariano deal, and the Pettite deal, but this was crazy. Thank gawd even a good Mariners GM wasn't doing his job and went golfing at the trade deadline...lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I came back on here I read a tweet by a reporter quoting Dipoto around late April, early May saying that Santana fits their short term plans. Found it interesting that a guy of his age and price who was leading the league in RBI's was considered a 'short term' plan. I think that was telling.

I didn't see that but it's interesting.

It could make sense with how crowded the organization is with outfielders, Santana's limited defensive ability and the fact that he will be a free agent in 2021. There could be the possibility they're looking to ride him and build up his trade value. I read something today that said there were serious talks regarding him. I'm really curious if the league's perception on him has changed since we were to land him for just Ben Gamel.

Don't know how urgent they should be with moving him. With Jake Fraley looking real close to a call-up, it might be prudent to do it sooner rather than later so that he'll eventually be able to get regular ABs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea the situation with Seager was that bad. Not only is no one going to want to trade for him because of the money, why would they want a 3rd baseman who can't hit worth a damn? He's awesome on the defense side but at the plate he's back to sucking like he has the last few years. So much money for Seager and Felix and their contributions aren't even close to what their getting paid. A sad situation for the organization IMO.

I really did believe Seager would have a resurgence due to his improvement in conditioning but it hasn't happened. The poison pill in his contract is one of the reasons I thought he was untradeable. Even without that it would've been extremely difficult to move him due to the remaining money on his contract. He would have to put up a 2016-type season in order to realistically move him. Even if that happened, given his recent struggles the past few years I don't think someone would take the bait unless they were desperate.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really sad that because of how the M's organization is going about it's business, there are probably very few people who really care about this team anymore. Part of it for me is that I feel like I've been burned by this organization so many times that it is just easier to "not care" and that way I'm not emotionally invested and I end up not giving a shit anymore. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. BUT--I'm excited as hell about Edgar in Cooperstown this weekend and that's a real positive for me. Gar is one of my fav players and I'm looking forward to this weekend for him!! :yes: :10:

I suppose I'm lucky since the last time the Mariners made the playoffs I was either in elementary school or middle school. This has unfortunately just been the status quo for me ever since I hit puberty and took a serious interest in professional sports.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right thats my thinking. Since i didnt pay for the ticket I think I can justify buying a $12 craft beer to help make the on field product a little more enjoyable.

You're going to need more than just one beer to make anything regarding the Mariners enjoyable.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wishing the best for him. All the articles I've read on him indicate he's a really good guy who has just had a series of really unfortunate injuries.
I looked up his minor league stats with the Cubs. He has a very small sample set but he is striking out a shit-ton of batters. Can't be his fastball. After all his physical problems, I can't imagine him having a upper 90s heater. So that means he is out-smarting hitters a la Greg Maddox/Jamie Moyer.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wishing the best for him. All the articles I've read on him indicate he's a really good guy who has just had a series of really unfortunate injuries.

Yea I also am rooting for him. Its tough to not be sour about how that turned out but that is mainly because I preferred another guy in that draft spot which isnt i guess fair to him.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to need more than just one beer to make anything regarding the Mariners enjoyable.
I came to a conclusion a few years ago that drinking and Mariners baseball should never go together.... because you're gonna end up drinking yourself to death for it to be enjoyable.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked up his minor league stats with the Cubs. He has a very small sample set but he is striking out a shit-ton of batters. Can't be his fastball. After all his physical problems, I can't imagine him having a upper 90s heater. So that means he is out-smarting hitters a la Greg Maddox/Jamie Moyer.

He has always been a control guy. When we drafted him I wasn't all that happy with the selection but I figured he could at the minimum be a middle of the rotation guy. Think they've got him in the bullpen which means he could possibly come up as a long reliever.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I also am rooting for him. Its tough to not be sour about how that turned out but that is mainly because I preferred another guy in that draft spot which isnt i guess fair to him.

Agreed. It sucks how things played out for us but I always root for former Mariners.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came to a conclusion a few years ago that drinking and Mariners baseball should never go together.... because you're gonna end up drinking yourself to death for it to be enjoyable.

That's why I go whenever I don't have work the next day.