• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: tOfficial Lakers Summer League Thread

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst quarter of ball ever

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,841.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not watching it. How bad was it?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't either, at least not yet, but the fact is that the Lakers had a lot of holes to fill. I feel like the Lakers had a very good draft, potentially getting 1st round talent out of an undrafted Center and getting one of, if not, the best PG in the draft. In terms of filling holes in the roster, I don't think the Lakers could have done much better. But as TF12 has said, we likely won't know for a couple of years whether they were the right decisions, but at this time it certainly looks like they made great choices.

Compare the Lakers' situation with that of a team like the Mavericks, who refuse to rebuild and are looking at a 1st round exit again this year, and I feel pretty good. We have a nice core of young talent moving forward.
Good points.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a nice recovery in the 2nd quarter.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good game. This standing around offense is terrible. Randle has to develop more then bulling to the basket.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle looks bad, but athletic. Russell does not look good at all.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer League bro(s)

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I don't understand playing Clarkson 33 minutes in a meaningless summer league game and only playing Upshaw 6 minutes.

Shouldn't those numbers be reversed? We know what Clarkson can do. Upshaw is the one that needs some time to develop.

Makes no sense to me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer League bro(s)

Exactly. The summer league is about developing the young guys, getting them on the same page and learning to play in the NBA.

Several of the turnovers that Russell had were passes that in college make it to the intended target. However, in the NBA, they are late and get intercepted or knocked away. He'll learn to make those passes a split second sooner. The talent he has is pretty obvious watching how he moves on the court.

Randle looks to be more athletic than expected. He's still adjusting to being out for almost an entire year. I like his ability to get a rebound and push the ball up the floor himself. I agree with tomo on him bulling his way to the basket. He was said to be working on mid-range shots and other post moves during his recovery. I'd like to see him go to that more.

Upshaw is interesting. Looks like he has some potential. At this point, I'd say he's a season or 2 away from being a real contributor. Hopefully, having Hibbert will allow him the time to develop.

Overall, the kids need work, but we knew they would. I think a lot of the standing around on offense is due to them still "thinking the game" rather than just "playing the game."

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, the kids need work, but we knew they would. I think a lot of the standing around on offense is due to them still "thinking the game" rather than just "playing the game."
Well said TF!

Early in Summer League obviously the cohesiveness will not be there. Outside of practice, these guys have not played a lot of minutes together & are now going up against greater talent, so there will be a lot of disconnects added to the 'thinking' factor you mention here.

With that however, there will be moments. Those are the moments we should focus on. A couple of things stand out in my mind so far...
  • Upshaw does not back down. He has gone after some good young talent in Towns and Okafor when protecting the rim (He's blocked some shots in those instances and made em work for the ones they did get. Ya gotta love that!
  • Nance Jr. is active on the offensive boards. He has shown he can get up and is ready to play ball, the ACL hopefully is in the past. Sure looks that way so far. Knock on wood!
  • Russell can handle the ball and get to spots for open looks. Having another player on the floor who can create their own shot shows promise. (Just needs to knock 'em down a little better) I also like 'where' he delivers the pass when he dishes. Yes he's been late but so far, but I've seen a pretty accurate passer. It certainly helps when you hit the open shooter and they don't have to reset their shot.
  • Randle looks pretty damn good coming back from the injury, but obviously they are still being cautious with his minutes. So stay tuned.
  • Black just looks better with and against starters all the way around.
  • Clarkson appears to have picked up where he left off. He's been the do everything guy so far in this year's SL for the Lakers. Very nice pickup last year.
Well that's about what I've seen so far. Maybe you agree or disagree or have something to add regarding 'standout moments', but that is where I've been looking at so far in Summer League.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said TF!

Early in Summer League obviously the cohesiveness will not be there. Outside of practice, these guys have not played a lot of minutes together & are now going up against greater talent, so there will be a lot of disconnects added to the 'thinking' factor you mention here.

With that however, there will be moments. Those are the moments we should focus on. A couple of things stand out in my mind so far...
  • Upshaw does not back down. He has gone after some good young talent in Towns and Okafor when protecting the rim (He's blocked some shots in those instances and made em work for the ones they did get. Ya gotta love that!
  • Nance Jr. is active on the offensive boards. He has shown he can get up and is ready to play ball, the ACL hopefully is in the past. Sure looks that way so far. Knock on wood!
  • Russell can handle the ball and get to spots for open looks. Having another player on the floor who can create their own shot shows promise. (Just needs to knock 'em down a little better) I also like 'where' he delivers the pass when he dishes. Yes he's been late but so far, but I've seen a pretty accurate passer. It certainly helps when you hit the open shooter and they don't have to reset their shot.
  • Randle looks pretty damn good coming back from the injury, but obviously they are still being cautious with his minutes. So stay tuned.
  • Black just looks better with and against starters all the way around.
  • Clarkson appears to have picked up where he left off. He's been the do everything guy so far in this year's SL for the Lakers. Very nice pickup last year.
Well that's about what I've seen so far. Maybe you agree or disagree or have something to add regarding 'standout moments', but that is where I've been looking at so far in Summer League.
good observation. I am getting more concerned about coaching offensive sets. Are they going to run an offense that fits these players?