• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: tOfficial Lakers Summer League Thread

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starting to warm up to us picking Russell. and I wanted Okafor too...
Me three, and I was a bit ticked off that we didn't pick Okafor given the chance.

I haven't even begun to warm up to him yet myself although I'm willing.... :hope:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We leave two stranded and this one is pretty much done.

Yea, I was watching a baseball game along with the Lakers game in my media center and apparently lost my place on the respective threads. Disregard.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said Nance was bad. Just not a first round pick. What did you think of Russell??

Russell is showing signs of greatness. In the first game he was being too cautious, in the second he has being too rushed. He needs to find a balance in both. He needs to adapt to NBA ball, just like every rookie does.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need Okafor. The days of dominant big men are far behind us and it's more of a faced paced, guard-oriented game.

If we can get Hibbert to protect the rim for us and Black, Randle and Nance Jr can get the rebounds, we'll have the guards doing the scoring.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on Shaqdaddy on both posts.

It's quite simple. I don't get why so many fans are pissed off we drafted Russell over Okafor.

Yes, 20 years ago every team was looking to get a dominant big. They had to compete with guys like Shaq, Olajuwon, D.Robinson, Ewing, Mourning etc. Now the only ones who can actually make a difference in a game are Cousins and Gasol, maybe Dwight.

Fast forward to 2015 and the dominant teams in the West - Warriors, Clippers, Blazers, Rockets are all lead by guards.

How is getting a 15/10 center going to make any difference when Curry, Lillard and Harden are running the ball at 100mph and shooting from a distance?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Upshaw makes the team then drafting Okafor would have been pointless. Can't find an undrafted PG as good as Russell.
I would argue that we would have used Clarkson and rando. Have to wait and see. I would not put Upshaw in the Okafor category.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite simple. I don't get why so many fans are pissed off we drafted Russell over Okafor.

Yes, 20 years ago every team was looking to get a dominant big. They had to compete with guys like Shaq, Olajuwon, D.Robinson, Ewing, Mourning etc. Now the only ones who can actually make a difference in a game are Cousins and Gasol, maybe Dwight.

Fast forward to 2015 and the dominant teams in the West - Warriors, Clippers, Blazers, Rockets are all lead by guards.

How is getting a 15/10 center going to make any difference when Curry, Lillard and Harden are running the ball at 100mph and shooting from a distance?
What you have to understand is that just because some one sees it different then you, doesn't make them wrong. You need to accept that not everyone agrees with you. I have no problem with a difference of opinion. However, you seem to have trouble with that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that we would have used Clarkson and rando. Have to wait and see. I would not put Upshaw in the Okafor category.

Rondo?!? Instead of Russell? I was one of the very few on here that was actually in favor of getting Rondo when it was reported that the Lakers were interested.

But even I would rather have Russell than be hoping that Rondo finally has his head on straight and has something left in the tank.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

29th in the league on defence last year and you think getting a center who's biggest weakness is defence is the way forward?

That's where Hibbert comes in.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you have to understand is that just because some one sees it different then you, doesn't make them wrong. You need to accept that not everyone agrees with you. I have no problem with a difference of opinion. However, you seem to have trouble with that.

I don't think anyone is necessarily trying to say you're wrong. Heck, we won't know for at least months, maybe even a couple of years, if Russell was the right guy or not. We have to see how both Russell and Okafor perform. We may end up wishing we had Okafor or glad we took Russell, time will tell.

But it can't really be denied that the league is changing/has changed. Out of the top centers in the league, only Dwight can be considered a "traditional big" and he's not even the focal point of his own team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm saying you bitch and moan more than a teenage girl!

You have literally NOTHING good to say about anything that's happened over the last month. What's more, you don't give any reasoning for your beliefs. No, "I think Okafor would fit better in with the Lakers rather than Russell because...". It's all "I'm not happy".

Will you at least give some constructive criticism for fucks sake!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okafor looked solid, but that was expected. He has the most NBA ready game of the 2105 draftees.

Russell looks fine for the most part. I thought he had heavy legs last night. Jumpers were coming up short. They've been playing a lot of basketball recently with practices and a B2B. You can see the skills. The passing ability. It's going to take more time for him to develop than Okafor.

What's garbage is the offense. Byron likes this Princeton garbage, but he has guards that don't need to be hid in such a system. I hate seeing Russell waiting up top while the down screen actions are happening. More cowbell, I mean PnR. Russell can excel in the PnR with his passing ability and strong mid-range game. Same with Clarkson and his ability to finish at the rim and his improving jumper. Their skills go to waste in the Princeton offense.

"Larry, Larry, Larry" already becoming a fan favorite. He looks like a guy that will max out his limited skills with full effort. Upshot is interesting. He's long but needs to strengthen his lower body. He looks awkward, and it seems like you can bump him out of position easily. He's a definite project.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said that Upshaw has a lot of work to do. Plus he's in terrible shape. Maybe Mitch is downplaying him a bit knowing he's an unrestricted free agent, but ultimately wants to sign him.

I guess it was all smokescreen from Mitch.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need Okafor. The days of dominant big men are far behind us and it's more of a faced paced, guard-oriented game.

If we can get Hibbert to protect the rim for us and Black, Randle and Nance Jr can get the rebounds, we'll have the guards doing the scoring.
Hibbert of course came after the draft so now you are right, we don't need Okafor.

With that lets face it, if we could have acquired a big such as Jordan instead of Hibbert, we would have. So, I'm not so sure I can agree with your assessment in bold above.

Consider 7 of SI's top 10 players last year were bigs. Where guard play is vital, big play is dominant.

SI.com's Top 100 NBA players of 2015 - NBA - SI.com

I think what folks like me need to come to grips with is the fit of the team. I think we drafted need with the No. 2 (With the available talent in FA) rather than BPA.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the prevailing sentiment here that we have some good talent again and have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all a "wait and see" game. There isn't a single player in the last decade who was 100% certain to become a star. Hell, all top 3 players could turn out to be busts!

It's just sad some people can't stop bitching and moaning about the direction of the team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibbert of course came after the draft so now you are right, we don't need Okafor.

With that lets face it, if we could have acquired a big such as Jordan instead of Hibbert, we would have. So, I'm not so sure I can agree with your assessment in bold above.

Consider 7 of SI's top 10 players last year were bigs. Where guard play is vital, big play is dominant.

SI.com's Top 100 NBA players of 2015 - NBA - SI.com

I think what folks like me need to come to grips with is the fit of the team. I think we drafted need with the No. 2 (With the available talent in FA) rather than BPA.

I'm talking about centers, not forwards. Okafor fits more in the "camp out in the paint" model, rather than guys like Lebron, Davis, Love, Griffin who can actually make a shot from more than 10 feet from the basket.

Reggie Miller had it right when he called Okafor a "dinosaur" last night.