• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about Beilein and Michigan hoops going forward. There's enough talent to develop and more coming in. This year is just a step back. No biggie.

Thinking the same about my Sparty hoopsters this year...
sucks not having a contender team to cheer for after football season is over.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the conversation clearer. It was in regards to developing/recognizing talent. Beilein has had 5 players drafted in 2 years and doesn't recruit like one of the bluebloods. Ryan has had how many players drafted, ever? Beilein racked up two B1G championships, 3 NCAA appearances including an E8 and NCG, two B1G POYs and a Naismith Trophy winner, in 3 years. Bo Ryan?

A drop-off was certain this year for Beilein (he's rotating 4 freshmen at the 4 and 5 spots, DJ Wilson, the 5th freshman in that rotation has been out for a few weeks). Morgan graduated, Horford transferred and McGary left early so it what it is; rebuilding/developing. Beilein has a roster full of young 3 stars, led (more or less) by two 4 stars and a 3 star. It'll take a season to bounce back considering what was lost and the youth he's working with but this team is flat out shooting poorly and getting their asses kicked in the paint right now. I counted 7 missed lay-ups tonight...a few uncontested. Wtf.

Production from the wing has been most disturbing. But any coach, or player for that matter, with any Michigan hoops knowledge, knows to key in on LeVert (still doesn't have his hops back post foot surgery) and Irvin (still having issues putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shots). Force them to make bad shots or turn the ball over and Michigan tanks (exactly what's happened). Spike and Walton have had nagging injuries all year and can't run the point the way they're capable of running it. And there is no low post threat. Beilein's banking on perimeter play this year and it's been inconsistent. Aubrey Dawkins is developing faster than expected but more importantly, our bigs are not. We aren't going to take down teams with two 7 footers, a la Purdue. Chatman (highly touted 4 star high school prospect) at the 4 has struggled mightily as well, with both his defense and shooting. His game hasn't adjusted to this level yet, and he was supposed to fill GRIII's shoes, immediately.

Michigan has underwhelmed thus far (this season) but let me know when Ryan is able to lead Wisconsin to a national championship game. Shit, Ryan has a 7 footer that's been there 4 years, a 5 star 6'9" forward playing next to him, two senior guards and a decent PF in Hayes. Epic fail if he doesn't make something of that.

But enjoy the drop-off next season. It happens. :suds:

We are talking about two different conversations. I have actually argued that Beilein is very good at talent recognition. In fact, I think he may be the best in all of college basketball. It's his only real strength. I don't think he is a great talent developer, and we have had good conversations on this in the past. The conversation I am talking about saw Cleaves"Bo Ryan will never make a Final Four"2000 claim Beilein was better than Bo, and you and LoftonPack defended the indefensible.

Bo Ryan doesn't rebuild like John Beilein does. Even when he has recruiting misses he has the ability to develop players into winners. Beilein doesn't. It's why Beilein will finish the season getting eliminated before the Round of 32 for the 7th time in 13 seasons as a major conference coach, while Bo has failed to advance twice in 14 years. I feel confident that next year we will be at least a 4-5 seed who get to the Sweet 16, and if we have Dekker and/or Diamond Stone, they could be a Final Four threat again.

As for you all, we'll see if Beilein can land another Burke or Stauskas. If not, I'd expect more of the same. He has never shown the ability to develop or gameplan without recruiting freakish talent. It's pretty clear that freakish talent isn't on your roster now. You guys look pitiful right now. I suspect some improvement as guys gain more experience, but I'd be shocked if you make the tourney.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisco sure as hell won't be bad next year, but they will be a far cry from a mark down sweet 16 appearance level of confidence. Dekker is almost certain to go. He hasn't had a whole lot of trajectory as Bo's system gets everyone involved and most guys don't like the prospect of being drafted as a senior if they can avoid it. Shit, Hayes may even go. He would be a fool but it may happen. If the box of rocks gets his grades up he is gonna go to UW though so that is a plus.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just dropping in to say-holy shit Michigan is horrible, the Purdue/Michigan game was like watching a jv high school womens basketball game.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about two different conversations. I have actually argued that Beilein is very good at talent recognition. In fact, I think he may be the best in all of college basketball. It's his only real strength. I don't think he is a great talent developer, and we have had good conversations on this in the past. The conversation I am talking about saw Cleaves"Bo Ryan will never make a Final Four"2000 claim Beilein was better than Bo, and you and LoftonPack defended the indefensible.

Bo Ryan doesn't rebuild like John Beilein does. Even when he has recruiting misses he has the ability to develop players into winners. Beilein doesn't. It's why Beilein will finish the season getting eliminated before the Round of 32 for the 7th time in 13 seasons as a major conference coach, while Bo has failed to advance twice in 14 years. I feel confident that next year we will be at least a 4-5 seed who get to the Sweet 16, and if we have Dekker and/or Diamond Stone, they could be a Final Four threat again.

As for you all, we'll see if Beilein can land another Burke or Stauskas. If not, I'd expect more of the same. He has never shown the ability to develop or gameplan without recruiting freakish talent. It's pretty clear that freakish talent isn't on your roster now. You guys look pitiful right now. I suspect some improvement as guys gain more experience, but I'd be shocked if you make the tourney.

Until last season Ryan had never taken Wisconsin to a Final Four. That's indisputable. You are mistaken if you think I claimed Beilein to be a "better" coach than Ryan, and called you stupid. That didn't happen. My claim was Beilein has taken Michigan further in the tournament, produced more talent, and was more deserving of the B1G COY. There's no refuting that.

In Beilein's system, 3/4 star players (PGs, SGs, and SFs) like Morris, Hardaway, Burke, Stauskas, Glenn Robinson, LeVert, Irvin, Walton, Albrecht, soon to be Dawkins, soon to be Duncan Robinson, flourish. They all make significant jumps from their freshman to sophomore years. It's been a trend since Beilein arrived. Beilein doesn't recruit freakish talent, he develops freakish talent. We don't get Kentucky/Duke/UNC level McD All-American kids (if you really paid attention you'd see the best talent in Michigan goes elsewhere). There is coaching and development involved in that transition/improvement. You seem to think these guys Beilein reels in are pre-packaged, ready to go, NBA MVPs. It's just not so. But it must bug the shit out of you how he develops them, haha.

For the record, I don't think Ryan's a bad coach, while I do believe Beilein's a very good developer of talent. He's proved this by taking 2-4 star talent, winning B1G championships, going on deep Tourney runs (Elite 8 and national championship game) B1G COY, 2 B1G POYs, national POY, and sent a number of players into the NBA, all in a short period of time. It's clear you don't like Beilein but give the man credit. Short of beating Louisville in the NCG and getting that ring, he's accomplished as much as any college coach the last couple of seasons.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking the same about my Sparty hoopsters this year...
sucks not having a contender team to cheer for after football season is over.

Go Blue Hockey! And I've never had much interest in college baseball but I have a feeling Bakich (man recruits like a beast) will have Michigan competing for B1G titles soon and maybe get U-M back to Omaha for the first time since '84. Michigan's no longer a football, basketball, or hockey school. It's baseball mofos!

Side note: has anyone else seen Wisconsin's hockey team lately? Holy phucking dogshit, that's ugly.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Blue Hockey! And I've never had much interest in college baseball but I have a feeling Bakich (man recruits like a beast) will have Michigan competing for B1G titles soon and maybe get U-M back to Omaha for the first time since '84. Michigan's no longer a football, basketball, or hockey school. It's baseball mofos!

Side note: has anyone else seen Wisconsin's hockey team lately? Holy phucking dogshit, that's ugly.

Yeah dude I watch college hockey a ton and I didn't see that coming at all. I mean coming into the season I don't really follow the upcoming potential of the talent. But I definitely didn't see 1 goddamn win coming. What the hell? Making the 6 team conference look bad. At least Penn State is winning ha.

Gophers have been playing like absolute shit. Such a let down so far after returning basically everyone from last year. March/April are what matter though so hopefully they pull out of the funk. Only played 1 conference series. Michigan next weekend!!

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC can we make a shot please?

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd feel relieved after watching Michigan play PSU in hoops. Couldn't handle the ball worth a crap but at least the shots finally fell.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell the fresh is going off!!

He has 25 already, still in the 1st half

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St @ Minnesota going to OT.

Williams from OSU missed an easy one at the rim to win it with under 5 seconds left

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But enjoy the drop-off next season. It happens. :suds:

Not to Bo Ryan it doesn't.

• Since Bo Ryan took over, Wisconsin has won five Big Ten titles - three regular season, two tournament (only Ohio State has more) and owns the top record in conference games, going 158-66 (.705). Ryan's .703 win percentage (158-66) is the highest in Big Ten history.
• In 13 seasons at Wisconsin, Bo Ryan has accumulated the best winning percentage in Big Ten history, going 158-66 (.705).
• Last year, the Badgers finished off their 14th-consecutive season with a winning conference record. In 108 years of Big Ten basketball, only one school has a longer streak of continuous success (Purdue, 16, '72-88).
• Wisconsin has never finished lower than fourth in the Big Ten standings under Ryan. UW's active streak of 13 consecutive seasons in the Big Ten's top four is tied for the longest in league history.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggame in Iowa Dity tonight. Sparty needs a quality win and Iowa wants to stay atop the B10 with the Badgers. Should be a good one. MSU has owned Iowa recently so an Iowa win here would speak volumes about this teams toughness.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going for 9 in a row...

Biggame in Iowa Dity tonight. Sparty needs a quality win and Iowa wants to stay atop the B10 with the Badgers. Should be a good one. MSU has owned Iowa recently so an Iowa win here would speak volumes about this teams toughness.

Hawkeyes always give Sparty a good game...this one looks to be no different.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dawson cant seem to put a layup in tonight

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So fucking sick of msu and so over this Hawkeye team than can't beat them...

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not supposing sympathies would do much good...

So fucking sick of msu and so over this Hawkeye team than can't beat them...

yah...it's gotta be discouraging to realize yall can't do what Texas Southern and 4 real teams did. serious though, hawks got game, they'll do fine this year (msu only 1x)...keep the faith brah.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU shooting the 3 ball 100% in the second half was insane. The hawkeyes went away from what was beating MSU giving the ball down low to Olaseni, he was killing them and getting fouled the entire first half.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It only took three games for every team besides the Badgers to have a conference loss. There's gonna be a lot of parity below us. It sucks if you want to see deep tourney runs, but it should make for a great conference season.