• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

OSUTod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of calls; has anyone ever done a study of the number of fouls called against a home team as opposed to being away?.....Two weeks ago Syracuse at home shot more foul shots than Duke(forgot how many) and yesterday at Maryland, the Terps shot 27-4 for Syracuse. I don't think the refs consciously try to be lopsided, but it seems to work out that way.

Not exactly what you are looking for but it gives you a good idea Largest Home Foul Margin - 2013-2014 (minimum of 10 games called) - College Basketball Referee Stats - StatSheet.com

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iowa with another letdown in a game they should win tonight??

Im not sure letdown is the proper description of what happened vs Minnesota. I think a lot of times we blame the losing team too much and dont give enough credit to the winning one. Minnesota played lights out in that game and shot the ball ungodly. Sometimes a team just plays great. Actually the last 2 games ( Wisconsin and Minnesota) I dont think Iowa has played poorly as much as their opposition has played extremely well. That said IU really doesnt have anything to play for tonight so Id be surprised if they play as spirited as the Gophers died so I think Iowa probably wins tonight but in the B10 no game is a gimme.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska played poorly last night. Missed lay-ups/tip-ins/air-balls. 15 turnovers.

Petteway was cold with only 2 points in the first half. Illinois took him out of the game and when that happens someone else needs to step up. That didn't happen.

I think the success of the 5 game winning streak and the pressure to make it 6 got to everybody. It's not like they weren't getting shots. As a team they just couldn't get anything to fall.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska played poorly last night. Missed lay-ups/tip-ins/air-balls. 15 turnovers.

Petteway was cold with only 2 points in the first half. Illinois took him out of the game and when that happens someone else needs to step up. That didn't happen.

I think the success of the 5 game winning streak and the pressure to make it 6 got to everybody. It's not like they weren't getting shots. As a team they just couldn't get anything to fall.

those are the worst nights. ESPECIALLY when your best player is leading the "brick" charge. We had that happen in our first loss, 1-14 from Nick Johnson. I think he had more points 5 minutes into the game last night than he did in the entire first game

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's embarrassing to see all our talent go out of state. Pretty much every player on Michigan, Michigan St's star player, Kentucky's top player in the 2014 recruiting class, along with the Teague brothers, and many more. :gaah: How can you not convince these kids to stay...:bawling:

Ask Depaul and Illinois how they feel about talent "getting away"..

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_scuhxcFMxY]Cliff Alexander Fakes Out Illinois, Picks Kansas - YouTube[/ame]

I know how Illinois fans feel:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGkmQWcaRYA]Cliff Alexander's Decision. U of I Perspective - YouTube[/ame]

If you haven't watched that second one, it's incredible

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well tOSU jumped Iowa in the standings, now they need Wisky to lose this weekend and jump them.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well tOSU jumped Iowa in the standings, now they need Wisky to lose this weekend and jump them.

You didnt really "jump" us per se. You have just played an extra game :) but small victories for you I guess. LOL

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before DePaul & Illinois & Kansas were even in the discussion

Alexander had been saying for years he was MSU-bound. :L
Ditto Jabari Parker. :L
Ditto Jahlil Okafor & Tyus Jones. :L

s'the way this stuff goes...sucks, but that's the way it is.

Alexander is a massively-talented, classless traitorous punkass scumbag whom I wish nothing good for - not for pissn on Izzo (we're better off without him) but for pissn & dissn on the thousands of his supporters from the state he grew up in.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander had been saying for years he was MSU-bound. :L
Ditto Jabari Parker. :L
Ditto Jahlil Okafor & Tyus Jones. :L

s'the way this stuff goes...sucks, but that's the way it is.

Alexander is a massively-talented, classless traitorous punkass scumbag whom I wish nothing good for - not for pissn on Izzo (we're better off without him) but for pissn & dissn on the thousands of his supporters from the state he grew up in.

THIS. It's too bad that he is SO DAMN GOOD. If, for some CRAZY reason Embiid stayed next year (as unlikely as that is, I guess you never know), that kansas team would be incredible. I can't even fathom Alexander next to Embiid, it's almost too scary to think about

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why'd Parker not choose MSU?

dcZONA? remember our chat about who's more talented: Dawson or...I can't remember which Wildcat not named Gordon? doesn't matter. This isn't so much to pick a scab, but to splain why I think Dawson is massively under-rated.

Krzyzewski, a Chicago native and Weber High School graduate, and Michigan State coach Tom Izzo had courted Parker for years. Parker said he was concerned about whether he would fit in with 6-6 sophomore Branden Dawson on Michigan State’s roster.
“A lot of it came down to, ‘How I will be used on the floor?’ ” Parker said. “Branden Dawson, me and him play the same position, and it would kind of be a controversy if me and him were on the same floor and we would run into each other. I wanted to go to a school that was fitting for me.
“It was the main reason I didn’t pick them today, because of Branden. I don’t want to mess up his thing, his groove,” he later added.
Jabari Parker's college choice - Chicago Tribune

Spartan Skepticism Alert: Parker's altruism re: Dawson's 'groove' made for good PR (wow, what a swell guy!) but covers what might have been the real reason - he would have had to COMPETE for a position with someone he knew might well BEAT HIM.

Dawson's a head-scratching head case...gifted, but moody & immature. I hope the kid's grown up some; think he has; and that his tourney play matches our expectations.

gggw

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS. It's too bad that he is SO DAMN GOOD. If, for some CRAZY reason Embiid stayed next year (as unlikely as that is, I guess you never know), that kansas team would be incredible. I can't even fathom Alexander next to Embiid, it's almost too scary to think about

yep...nightmare theatre, fer sure!

speaking of which...
Parker might be at Duke again next year...with Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones

:shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dcZONA? remember our chat about who's more talented: Dawson or...I can't remember which Wildcat not named Gordon? doesn't matter. This isn't so much to pick a scab, but to splain why I think Dawson is massively under-rated.

Jabari Parker's college choice - Chicago Tribune

Spartan Skepticism Alert: Parker's altruism re: Dawson's 'groove' made for good PR (wow, what a swell guy!) but covers what might have been the real reason - he would have had to COMPETE for a position with someone he knew might well BEAT HIM.

Dawson's a head-scratching head case...gifted, but moody & immature. I hope the kid's grown up some; think he has; and that his tourney play matches our expectations.

gggw

awwwww cmon that's a little bit silly. We are talking about a top 3 nba draft pick and future perennial all-star. Jabari Parker wasn't worried about playing time, let's be honest here. But did he want to go somewhere that had NO other options at his position? Maybe, who knows.

The debate was more about importance to a team, as I valued Nick Johnson's importance to our team as comparable to Adrien Payne and said I thought AG was a better and more important player than Dawson. I certainly still believe that because AG can literally cover 1-4 on defense, and his offense is improving every week. Also, he doesn't punch tables and break his hand...................too soon?

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awwwww cmon that's a little bit silly. We are talking about a top 3 nba draft pick and future perennial all-star. Jabari Parker wasn't worried about playing time, let's be honest here. But did he want to go somewhere that had NO other options at his position? Maybe, who knows.

The debate was more about importance to a team, as I valued Nick Johnson's importance to our team as comparable to Adrien Payne and said I thought AG was a better and more important player than Dawson. I certainly still believe that because AG can literally cover 1-4 on defense, and his offense is improving every week. Also, he doesn't punch tables and break his hand...................too soon?

silly now. wasn't so silly then. Parker propped Dawson as his 'main reason for not picking MSU.' talk about silly.

waitta minnit here...re: spat...you're saying I was arguing DAWSON vs GORDON? dude, that scares the shit outta me; hell, I'm not even going to dig back for fear it's true. wtf was I thinking? no. no. forget about it!

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's embarrassing to see all our talent go out of state. Pretty much every player on Michigan, Michigan St's star player, Kentucky's top player in the 2014 recruiting class, along with the Teague brothers, and many more. :gaah: How can you not convince these kids to stay...:bawling:

Michigan and State both recruit the midwest fairly well (Indiana and Illinois are generally better states to recruit from) considering neither schools are bball bluebloods. You can contribute most of UofM and MSU's recent success to coaching/player development however, i.e. every senior class at MSU ends up in the Final Four...and when Beilein took over at Michigan he was coaching up a load of smaller and less athletic kids (the Ed Martin scandal/NCAA sanctions played a huge role in UofM's decline in recruiting).

I also think most highly touted recruits/prospects today are attracted to "one and done" scenarios. That is not something Izzo and Beilein are preaching. Their philosophy is different. Not that Michigan or State wouldn't welcome a James Young type player, they're just not going to win many head-to -head recruiting battles with Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC or Indiana...maybe even Louisville. We don't battle too much with other great bball schools like UCLA, Syracuse and Arizona very often. Michigan did land Kam Chatman over Zona but lost out to Trevon Bluiett to UCLA (later decommitted and inked with Xavier).

We don't lose them all though...Derrick Walton was an early Michigan lock and Eric Davis is a heavy Michigan State lean.

I agree though that both Michigan and Michigan State should be landing more blue chippers.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
**Edit: I mistook you for a Michigan fan. Haha, well the same can be said for the current state of IU basketball. You land a few and miss a few. Your team needs to get their asses back in the Final Four to get the ball rolling though Crean is a good recruiter.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
**Edit: I mistook you for a Michigan fan. Haha, well the same can be said for the current state of IU basketball. You land a few and miss a few. Your team needs to get their asses back in the Final Four to get the ball rolling though Crean is a good recruiter.

he certainly has Indianapolis locked up...and, probably has a step up when it comes to recruiting the B1G's new Eastern provinces (aren't most of his players not from Indiana from Maryland and Virginia?) now, if he could only coach.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games Today

7:00 PM (ET) ESPN2

#22 Ohio St (9-6)(22-6)
Penn St.......(4-10)(13-14)

Ohio St (-6.5)

9:00 PM (ET) ESPN Rescheduled to today

#20 Iowa (8-6)(19-8)
Indiana....(5-9)(15-12)

Iowa (-4)

THE ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT IS A HAWKEYE WIN TONIGHT. Hawks have got to find a way to win this F'r. A 3 game losing streak this point in the season wouldn't be good.....

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he certainly has Indianapolis locked up...and, probably has a step up when it comes to recruiting the B1G's new Eastern provinces (aren't most of his players not from Indiana from Maryland and Virginia?) now, if he could only coach.

Vonleh is from Virginia and our top recruit for this class is also from there.

And true that.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT IS A HAWKEYE WIN TONIGHT. Hawks have got to find a way to win this F'r. A 3 game losing streak this point in the season wouldn't be good.....

Can't really figure you guys out. Had you pegged as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the B1G (behind Sparty and maybe Wisky) for most of the season.

Assembly is not an easy place to win but the Hoosiers have all but given up. I highly doubt the Hawks lose 3 straight either.

Iowa 70 ... Indiana 66