• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2014 MLB Ongoing Thread

CSD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Mets and Fish off to hot starts, NL East way more tough than we thought a month ago.

So much for the Mets. yet another season down the drain for them. BIG SURPRISE! :laugh3:

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maya Angelou passed away a couple of days before the Beacon Awards Luncheon, part of the Civil Rights Game MLB has had recently as part of it's ceremonies. She had previously said she would be unable to attend. Jim Brown and Berry Gordy will be honored.

This year's representatives in the game will be the Houston Astros and Baltimore Orioles. The Astros will wear the uniform of the Houston Eagles and the Orioles will wear the uniform of the Baltimore Elite Giants of the ***** Leagues for the game.

2014-Civil-Rights-Game-Throwback-Jerseys.jpg

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL SCIOSCIA

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Jones has brought his BA up to .300... and his OBP is only .314. He's on pace for 14 walks.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Jones has brought his BA up to .300... and his OBP is only .314. He's on pace for 14 walks.

That man just don't walk. Any team can afford that to a certain degree in one of their hitters. But when he's your team captain and the young guns are looking up to him.. modeling themselves after him.. that's when things get really tricky.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With neither the Braves nor Nationals rocketing off in the NL East, that's the most interesting division to keep tabs on right now. If it wasn't for the Marlins being right there with them it wouldn't be as much, but there they are.

Honestly, who would have predicted the Marlins to climb from the cellar the way they have? And missing Alex Fernandez to boot.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a Jeter Jr. in this draft, is there?

I saw that Ryan Ripken was drafted by the Natinals. Part of me likes to believe that Peter Angelos raised an eyebrow at his market-share rivals taking him.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With neither the Braves nor Nationals rocketing off in the NL East, that's the most interesting division to keep tabs on right now. If it wasn't for the Marlins being right there with them it wouldn't be as much, but there they are.

Honestly, who would have predicted the Marlins to climb from the cellar the way they have? And missing Alex Fernandez to boot.

Most projections had the Marlins having a pretty good pitching staff, which hasn't quite been the case so far (especially with Fernandez going down). However, the Marlins have gone from a historically bad lineup last year (only 513 runs scored and their non-pitchers had an OPS+ of 77. They're currently 2nd in the NL at 280 runs scored and their non-pitchers have an OPS+ of 106.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most projections had the Marlins having a pretty good pitching staff, which hasn't quite been the case so far (especially with Fernandez going down). However, the Marlins have gone from a historically bad lineup last year (only 513 runs scored and their non-pitchers had an OPS+ of 77. They're currently 2nd in the NL at 280 runs scored and their non-pitchers have an OPS+ of 106.

I thought they'd be on the rise.. but I wouldn't have guessed that they'd be a game within the division lead at the beginning of June. Kinda cool to see, really.

I wonder if Miami fans are noticing?

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do believe surrounding Giancarlo Stanton with Garrett Jones and Casey McGehee certainly helps. I remember watching both those guys play at Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and they were both pretty good hitters. Both had some down years, but when they were hitting the ball well, they were hitting REALLY well.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe surrounding Giancarlo Stanton with Garrett Jones and Casey McGehee certainly helps. I remember watching both those guys play at Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and they were both pretty good hitters. Both had some down years, but when they were hitting the ball well, they were hitting REALLY well.

Of the 15 Marlins players with 200+ plate appearances in 2013, only two had an OPS+ north of 100 (Stanton at 131 and Yelich at 112). It wasn't going to take much to upgrade that lineup. Not only have Jones and McGehee been competent hitters, but Yelich and Ozuna are playing pretty well too. Dietrich's held his own so far, and I think he'll be a good hitter. He looks like a left handed Dan Uggla. It's easy to forget that Uggla used to be a good player! 7 of the Marlins' 8 starters have an OPS+ north of 100 right now with Hechavarria being the lone exception (65, which is bad even for a shortstop). Having a healthy Stanton helps too, as he's making a pretty good MVP case thus far.

Don't see them making the playoffs (especially without Fernandez), but they're definitely headed in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 15 Marlins players with 200+ plate appearances in 2013, only two had an OPS+ north of 100 (Stanton at 131 and Yelich at 112). It wasn't going to take much to upgrade that lineup. Not only have Jones and McGehee been competent hitters, but Yelich and Ozuna are playing pretty well too. Dietrich's held his own so far, and I think he'll be a good hitter. He looks like a left handed Dan Uggla. It's easy to forget that Uggla used to be a good player! 7 of the Marlins' 8 starters have an OPS+ north of 100 right now with Hechavarria being the lone exception (65, which is bad even for a shortstop). Having a healthy Stanton helps too, as he's making a pretty good MVP case thus far.

Don't see them making the playoffs (especially without Fernandez), but they're definitely headed in the right direction.

Oh, I wasn't trying to sell the rest of their team short. I was just bringing up the point of how nice it is to have a team with a spot in the roster that can drive in runs. I have a hard time thinking of Marlins hitters before they brought in McGeehee and Jones who could drive in runs.

Baseball is truly a team sport. They are getting guys on-base and they are driving in those base runners. I do agree that I can't see the Marlins making the playoffs. I think it's only a matter of time before the Braves and Nationals start running away from the division and I certainly see both the Cardinals and Dodgers picking up a bit. Trying to get an NL Wildcard spot is gonna tough with those four teams.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great duel between Zimmermann and Lynn tonight. Zimmermann went 8 and gave up only 3 hits, but one was the deciding run (a Matt Adams home run). Zimmermann threw only 76 pitches in 8 innings (57 for strikes), walking one and striking out 5. Lynn only gave up 2 hits in 8 innings, striking out 8.

Zimmermann's last 3 starts:
@STL - 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 76 pitches
@SD - 9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 12 K, 114 pitches
PHI - 8 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 102 pitches

His ERA has dropped from 4.07 to 2.98 in that span.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregory Polanco hit his first MLB home run to give the Pirates an 8-6 lead in the 13th. His fifth hit of the night.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Mills traded to the A's

The A's need a starter.

In return, the A's will ship $1 to the Brewers.