• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really interesting article on the front page with exlanation of the charges. The NBA is charging that Donald Sterling tried to cover up his rant. Andy Rossier directed Stviano and others to destroy the evidence which is the reason he was placed on administrative leave and the NBA is charging that the Sterlings are not estranged as they pretend to be and that she must also be removed in order o avoid the appearance that Donald is still in charge.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Really interesting article on the front page with exlanation of the charges. The NBA is charging that Donald Sterling tried to cover up his rant. Andy Rossier directed Stviano and others to destroy the evidence which is the reason he was placed on administrative leave and the NBA is charging that the Sterlings are not estranged as they pretend to be and that she must also be removed in order o avoid the appearance that Donald is still in charge.

And the going just gets tougher for poor Sterling. We haven't heard from the SportsHoopla legal experts in awhile. Where have they been? lol

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the going just gets tougher for poor Sterling. We haven't heard from the SportsHoopla legal experts in awhile. Where have they been? lol

Just wait and when it's over they will be saying that they predicted it would happen just that way and will deny what they have been saying :laugh3:

Like I said before - I don't think they would be going after Sterling if they didn't have the right - and the way I understand it - they say they are going to vote to terminate his franchise agreement based on the violations which seems to keep growing :lol: I personally hope Sterling refuses to sell - I would love to see his chops get busted after screwing players and coaches for the last 33 year

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking - Donald is reportedly (Ramona Shelbourne) going to allow his wife Shelley to negotiate a forced sale of the team.

VERY unusual for them to give up like this.......looks like the league had more on them than some here realized.

I said this earlier - if you look at the exorbitant legal costs, the loss of revenue from lost sponsors, and the cost of being a social pariah, a lawsuit against the league simply would not be worth it.

Take the billion and go was really the only smart choice here.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking - Donald is reportedly (Ramona Shelbourne) going to allow his wife Shelley to negotiate a forced sale of the team.

VERY unusual for them to give up like this.......looks like the league had more on them than some here realized.

I said this earlier - if you look at the exorbitant legal costs, the loss of revenue from lost sponsors, and the cost of being a social pariah, a lawsuit against the league simply would not be worth it.

Take the billion and go was really the only smart choice here.

It's what we both have been trying to tell these morons for the last few weeks. Sterling isn't stupid - he's busted and he knows that his best option is to sell while the Clippers is at max value. He signed contracts agreeing to binding arbitration. I can guarantee you - that the Sterlings have been told they have no chance in court - otherwise they wouldn't be dragging it out and they know that if they did drag out they tend to lose hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. There is no way in hell he can continue with his reputation damaged like that. I have been in business to long to not know that and I have audited too many businesses over the last 24 years to know any different.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, while I always believed this was headed to court (that's how the Sterling's have always operated) I said all along that the only way it doesn't go to court is if the Sterling's just decide not to fight it.

Within the next couple of weeks or so, we should probably expect seperate statements from the NBA, Donald and Shelly all trying to paint themselves in the most positive light. The NBA will talk about how strong their case was and what great stand they've made against racism.

Donald will talk about how he decided he didn't want to drag the other owners, the league and the players (all of whom he will claim that he loves) through any more of this.

Shelly will probably talk about how she doesn't agree with Donald's views and she's not a racist, etc., etc.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, while I always believed this was headed to court (that's how the Sterling's have always operated) I said all along that the only way it doesn't go to court is if the Sterling's just decide not to fight it.

Within the next couple of weeks or so, we should probably expect seperate statements from the NBA, Donald and Shelly all trying to paint themselves in the most positive light. The NBA will talk about how strong their case was and what great stand they've made against racism.

Donald will talk about how he decided he didn't want to drag the other owners, the league and the players (all of whom he will claim that he loves) through any more of this.

Shelly will probably talk about how she doesn't agree with Donald's views and she's not a racist, etc., etc.

If the Sterlings knew they had a 50-50 chance in court - they would litigate, but every time Sterling tried that with NBA players, coaches and general managers - he has lost and he knows it. The NBA is set up in an usual way that makes it a club and you don't get in without signing contracts that agrees to binding arbitration. When 8 of the top prestigious law firms have turned you down and the best you can do is an 85 year old lawyer who is yesterday's news - the writing is on the wall.

That binding arbitration is a killer and then there is the two edged sword

Without the sponsors - the Clippers will move not forward successfully and that goes downhill without the fans and players. There is enough support behind the players union -that the Clippers would see significant damage.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sterlings knew they had a 50-50 chance in court - they would litigate, but every time Sterling tried that with NBA players, coaches and general managers - he has lost and he knows it. The NBA is set up in an usual way that makes it a club and you don't get in without signing contracts that agrees to binding arbitration. When 8 of the top prestigious law firms have turned you down and the best you can do is an 85 year old lawyer who is yesterday's news - the writing is on the wall.

That binding arbitration is a killer and then there is the two edged sword

Without the sponsors - the Clippers will move not forward successfully and that goes downhill without the fans and players. There is enough support behind the players union -that the Clippers would see significant damage.

I agree and I've always thought that Sterling should lose the team. I just wasn't sure about how the NBA's stance would hold up in court, particularly re: Shelly since she wasn't the one who made the statements.

Honestly, we will never really know if it would have or not because I don't see the Sterlings admitting defeat. I think that along with what I posted earlier, they will also throw in crap about his advanced age and cancer battle. But if asked, they will likely claim to have had a solid case.

Basically, they are likely to try and make Donald look like some kind of hero or something which would be pretty despicable, imo, but that's how he rolls.

Bottom line, it looks like this will be over relatively quickly now (however quick is defined when talking about a deal involving close to a billion dollars) which is good for the league and the Clippers.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and I've always thought that Sterling should lose the team. I just wasn't sure about how the NBA's stance would hold up in court, particularly re: Shelly since she wasn't the one who made the statements.

Honestly, we will never really know if it would have or not because I don't see the Sterlings admitting defeat. I think that along with what I posted earlier, they will also throw in crap about his advanced age and cancer battle. But if asked, they will likely claim to have had a solid case.

Basically, they are likely to try and make Donald look like some kind of hero or something which would be pretty despicable, imo, but that's how he rolls.

Bottom line, it looks like this will be over relatively quickly now (however quick is defined when talking about a deal involving close to a billion dollars) which is good for the league and the Clippers.

I am expecting Shelly to try to assume control as the new board of governor and agree to sell Donald's half and then threaten to sue if they don't let her. He defense then would be the injured spouse routine often used by spouses of husbands that owes the IRS big money. I think the NBA will then rebuff that one quickly and repeat what they said before. The team must be sold in it's entirety and it must be sold now.

Anything less - would simply look like Donald Sterling maintaining control through Shelly Sterling behind control doors and everyone knows that. This is not quite over yet, but for Donald Sterling to give up like he has is a big step that speeds it up. I would be surprise if new owners aren't close to a new deal by November though. Like I said - when you agree to binding arbitration ahead of time - very few courts if any will even consider hearing the case. Shelly would have to prove that she is not joined at the hip to Donald - and the evidence is too strong to say that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am expecting Shelly to try to assume control as the new board of governor and agree to sell Donald's half and then threaten to sue if they don't let her. He defense then would be the injured spouse routine often used by spouses of husbands that owes the IRS big money. I think the NBA will then rebuff that one quickly and repeat what they said before. The team must be sold in it's entirety and it must be sold now.

Anything less - would simply look like Donald Sterling maintaining control through Shelly Sterling behind control doors and everyone knows that. This is not quite over yet, but for Donald Sterling to give up like he has is a big step that speeds it up. I would be surprise if new owners aren't close to a new deal by November though. Like I said - when you agree to binding arbitration ahead of time - very few courts if any will even consider hearing the case. Shelly would have to prove that she is not joined at the hip to Donald - and the evidence is too strong to say that.

You actually may have a good point. The "innocent spouse" defense could be interesting. Basically, she'd be saying, "I shouldn't be punished just because my soon to be ex-husband is a racist idiot"

One of the things that has been reported is that she and her lawyers are working with the NBA on an "amicable solution". Interesting word, amicable.

If Shelly's definition of "amicable" is her retaining her 50% and the NBA's definition is no one with the last name Sterling will be allowed so much as an NBA League Pass subscription, it could get ugly all over again.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You actually may have a good point. The "innocent spouse" defense could be interesting. Basically, she'd be saying, "I shouldn't be punished just because my soon to be ex-husband is a racist idiot"

One of the things that has been reported is that she and her lawyers are working with the NBA on an "amicable solution". Interesting word, amicable.

If Shelly's definition of "amicable" is her retaining her 50% and the NBA's definition is no one with the last name Sterling will be allowed so much as an NBA League Pass subscription, it could get ugly all over again.

The NBA's position is that they can't even buy NBA2K and PLAY as the Clippers on xbox......

There's an angle in here somewhere. I don't know what it is yet, but there's one. Shelley isn't just going to sell her "share" of the team even if Donald gives up. She's out for something else.

I think they realized what I did a few weeks ago tho.......the lawsuit angle is just too costly. If its one thing the Sterlings do NOT like to do, it's pay ANYBODY. Paying lawyers for years on a case they aren't guaranteed to win? Its not in their DNA.

Shelley wants to settle. For what, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA's position is that they can't even buy NBA2K and PLAY as the Clippers on xbox......

There's an angle in here somewhere. I don't know what it is yet, but there's one. Shelley isn't just going to sell her "share" of the team even if Donald gives up. She's out for something else.

I think they realized what I did a few weeks ago tho.......the lawsuit angle is just too costly. If its one thing the Sterlings do NOT like to do, it's pay ANYBODY. Paying lawyers for years on a case they aren't guaranteed to win? Its not in their DNA.

Shelley wants to settle. For what, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Damn. That's harsh.:lol:

I don't trust Shelly to be quite so "amicable" either. She has been pretty adamant that she will fight for her half, while Donald has kind of gone back and forth. I agree that she's angling for something. This is still likely to be fairly interesting.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. That's harsh.:lol:

I don't trust Shelly to be quite so "amicable" either. She has been pretty adamant that she will fight for her half, while Donald has kind of gone back and forth. I agree that she's angling for something. This is still likely to be fairly interesting.

Considering how many black families were told by Shelly that they could not live in her apartment building - I am okay with harsh. Either way though - I don't trust either one enough to expect them not try one more effort to retain control and I agree with Silver when he said that Shelly is not estranged from her husband as she claimed. They are business partners and very close business partners at that.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all are over-thinking this. I just finished reading the article on MSN.

He's signing over his "half" of the team to her, and she's selling the whole thing. No one with the last name of Sterling could ever get sponsors, or otherwise make money on the Clippers, except by selling the team. No great mystery here.

Might Sterling have prevailed in court? Yup, maybe...if he lived long enough...and by then, he'd probably need diapers and a drool cup. He's over 80, and has cancer. Fighting to keep the team, when the players and fans hate him, and he couldn't get sponsors at gunpoint...just not worth it.

Sterling was a bastard long before he met that gold-digging POS Stiviano. He's still a bastard, and he'll die a bastard. Soooooo, in the grand scheme of things, nothing has changed. All's well that ends well.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all are over-thinking this. I just finished reading the article on MSN.

He's signing over his "half" of the team to her, and she's selling the whole thing. No one with the last name of Sterling could ever get sponsors, or otherwise make money on the Clippers, except by selling the team. No great mystery here.

Might Sterling have prevailed in court? Yup, maybe...if he lived long enough...and by then, he'd probably need diapers and a drool cup. He's over 80, and has cancer. Fighting to keep the team, when the players and fans hate him, and he couldn't get sponsors at gunpoint...just not worth it.

Sterling was a bastard long before he met that gold-digging POS Stiviano. He's still a bastard, and he'll die a bastard. Soooooo, in the grand scheme of things, nothing has changed. All's well that ends well.

I hope you're right and I agree that no one with the name Sterling should be allowed to own the team or will be - but I think she might try a fast one - When your nature is to lie, cheat and steal - The Sterling family just can't help themselves.

Just one question though: What makes you think Donald Sterling doesn't need diapers now?:lol:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least now they have the power to sell the team to whomever they want. Magic nor Oprah will be owning the team. I can't believe he went out with such a thud but as suggested, maybe they had a lot more on him than any of us know about. Oh well, it's only the fucking Clippers anyway. :dhd:

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right and I agree that no one with the name Sterling should be allowed to own the team or will be - but I think she might try a fast one - When your nature is to lie, cheat and steal - The Sterling family just can't help themselves.

Just one question though: What makes you think Donald Sterling doesn't need diapers now?:lol:

To the bold: perhaps he does. But even if I had a way of checking, I don't care enough to do so.

And I cannot imagine why his wife would "try a fast one." No way would the players play for her, and no way would sponsors come back.

I don't believe that people lie, cheat and steal just because it's their nature...they do it for gain, and in this case, there's none to be had. Again, only way for anyone with that last name to make money on the team is to SELL.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the bold: perhaps he does. But even if I had a way of checking, I don't care enough to do so.

And I cannot imagine why his wife would "try a fast one." No way would the players play for her, and no way would sponsors come back.

I don't believe that people lie, cheat and steal just because it's their nature...they do it for gain, and in this case, there's none to be had. Again, only way for anyone with that last name to make money on the team is to SELL.

The thought that comes to my mind - is because she is delusional and thinks with her husband officially out of it - things would resume to normal. If she does try that by the way - I think once the NBA says no and shuts her down - then I believe the Sterling family will fold and sell. I have always thought they would fold after they tried everything except the litigation. The binding arbitration just simply shuts down the arbitration down to quick and easy - that's why they have it built into the clauses

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least now they have the power to sell the team to whomever they want. Magic nor Oprah will be owning the team. I can't believe he went out with such a thud but as suggested, maybe they had a lot more on him than any of us know about. Oh well, it's only the fucking Clippers anyway. :dhd:

That's not quite true. The NBA has to approve of the sale. For example, the Maloofs had deals in place to sell the Kings to Seattle but the NBA made it known that wasn't their preference and muscled them into selling the team to the group that would keep the team in Sac-town (for less money than the Seattle group offering). Same thing happened with the Pelicans. They had several buyers that wanted to buy the team and move it but the NBA (who owned the team at the time) wouldn't sell to anyone unless they kept the team in NO.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Clips will be going to Seattle. The Supersonics are back.

LA is a Laker town anyway. Everyone wins.