• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Todd bowles

• Thread starter cubzzzfanincali
  • Start date
C

cubzzzfanincali

So lot of speculation tht Arizonas defensive coordinator, Todd Bowles, will probably get a head coaching job after job he has done this year. Any of you think he would be a good fit here?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we need another project that wants to do things the way he thinks they should be done, we need a guy that comes in and does things like they are supposed to be done.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I dont think we need another project that wants to do things the way he thinks they should be done, we need a guy that comes in and does things like they are supposed to be done.

remind me, who that's available does that include in your book?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remind me, who that's available does that include in your book?

Pretty sure there will be 9-12 coaches fired this off season. The right move was Arians. Its another year past of the itch to get scratched with John Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, Bellichek and the tv stars. We saw how a dud in Philly became a stud in Kansas City.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure there will be 9-12 coaches fired this off season. The right move was Arians. Its another year past of the itch to get scratched with John Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, Bellichek and the tv stars. We saw how a dud in Philly became a stud in Kansas City.

Stop with this people… stop.

Gruden has won a super bowl, and now sits in a cozy heated press box. Working a handful of hours per week, with no pressure… no job on the line every other year… no being away from his family full-time.. etc… All while getting paid just as much as he did as an NFL head coach. Probably the most grueling job in the football business.

He has no desire to leave that gig. And neither do the other three. They all have a ring, they have nothing left to prove to themselves or anyone else. They'll lay in the sun for the rest of their lives, and they damn well should.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gruden has won a super bowl, and now sits in a cozy heated press box. Working a handful of hours per week, with no pressure… no job on the line every other year… no being away from his family full-time.. etc… All while getting paid just as much as he did as an NFL head coach. Probably the most grueling job in the football business.

He has no desire to leave that gig. And neither do the other three. They all have a ring, they have nothing left to prove to themselves or anyone else. They'll lay in the sun for the rest of their lives, and they damn well should.

You cannot know if any of them are actually happy with so much down time. I know its the assumption that people would rather not work, but there are people that would prefer to be kept busy and work a day a week. Either way they are away from their families.

Who do you want to consider, Shannahan? Ex coaches that are currently coordinators or assistants like DelRio, Leslie Frasier, Wade Phillips, Dave Wannstead, Mike Sherman, McDaniels, Sparano? Its been reported that Harbaugh took himself off the list of being a candidate for Michigan.

I just think getting a name will pay that last two years of Trestmans deal. I doubt a guy moving to the new job is gonna do it. Maybe after next season.

Aussie77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only name right now that would interest me would be Harbaugh but he isn't coming here I wouldn't want to part with a draft pick to get him and I seriously doubt that the front office cleans house unless maybe we get blown apart down the stretch.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mostly agree with this.

While the possibility, remote as it is, exists that one of them would jump at something they consider a "perfect" job, I think most of us would agree that the Bears, as currently constructed/organized, are not.

Bellichek might someday leave New England, but I'll believe it when I see it — he went to college out there and will never have to buy a meal out in Patriot-land again. I wouldn't want Dungy, and strongly suspect Gruden would be exposed as a snake-oil salesman upon returning. Of the names anotheridiot posted, I'd be most interested in Cowher; but honestly, when he didn't return to coaching after he lost his wife in 2010, I have to think he's all done at this point.

Arians was perhaps less of a risk than Trestman was, but at the end of the day promoting any coordinator is a risk. The Bears (and all the other teams) will be in the same boat when they make the next promotion.

A team's best bet is to hire a guy who's successfully identified coaches in the past and have that person make the hire. Which would require hiring a team president with football acumen. Which isn't likely to happen on the McCaskey watch.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only name right now that would interest me would be Harbaugh but he isn't coming here I wouldn't want to part with a draft pick to get him and I seriously doubt that the front office cleans house unless maybe we get blown apart down the stretch.

San Francisco wants to trade Harbaugh for a draft pick, it does not mean they are gonna get one. The teams in the NFL know San Fran wants Jimmy and his baggy pants gone, so they can easily wait until they fire him and he wont cost that draft pick.

If you want him bad enough I guess you give up that pick, but I would rather the guy want to come here and not be foreced into it.

and sorry, that other post I meant Billick, not the current NE coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only two names I'd be interested in at this point are Harbaugh if we can retain our top picks to get him, or Shanahan.

Harbaugh: You all know how much I want us to get Jim Leavitt on the staff as DC assuming we cannot get Vic Fangio. Harbaugh would appeal to me for the same reason as these guys as a HC. San Francisco routinely beats Green Bay in the playoffs. They have the secret sauce over there. I'm not crazy about Cutler learning a new offense... but if it has to be it has to be... I would do this to get the SF blue print for beating the Packers.

Shanahan: As bad as things were in Washington, they seem to have gotten worse without him. Just like things got worse in Denver with Josh McDaniels. Like I said, I'm not crazy about changing offenses again, but Shanahan would present a great exception. He would bring in an offense Cutler doesn't need to start from scratch with.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team has been to the NFC Champ game for 3 years... and STILL doesn't want to keep the coach...doesn't that tell you something? NO to Harbaugh.

Tresty stays- Tucker goes as scapegoat... They play like this next year- Tresty is gone and they start over.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Trestman stays at least another season, whether the Bears drop the last 4 games or not. I do see a new defensive coaching staff next season, which might help the team win more games next year. But at this point I think the biggest concern is in the locker room with the player-coaches relationships. The players just don't act like they are playing their guts out for the coaches... Hard to discern from so far away, but certainly there hasn't been the enthusiasm on the sidelines like other teams. And that problem, my friends, starts with the HC.

So as long as the Bears hang on to Trestman, don't keep your expectations high.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team has been to the NFC Champ game for 3 years... and STILL doesn't want to keep the coach...doesn't that tell you something? NO to Harbaugh.

Tresty stays- Tucker goes as scapegoat... They play like this next year- Tresty is gone and they start over.

That's how I see it too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Trestman stays at least another season, whether the Bears drop the last 4 games or not. I do see a new defensive coaching staff next season, which might help the team win more games next year. But at this point I think the biggest concern is in the locker room with the player-coaches relationships. The players just don't act like they are playing their guts out for the coaches... Hard to discern from so far away, but certainly there hasn't been the enthusiasm on the sidelines like other teams. And that problem, my friends, starts with the HC.

So as long as the Bears hang on to Trestman, don't keep your expectations high.

I don't know. I'm not necessarily on either side of thought.

Good or bad, Emery hasn't pulled any punches in the past, and he seems to make any move he thinks is right, regardless. If he's unhappy with Trestman, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make the move to let him go.

Put it this way, I have hard time thinking he's happy. The only logical reason I see Emery wanting to keep him, is that he's afraid of the consequences of admitting failure. Maybe he wants to go down with the Trestman/Cutler ship that he built.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VERY hard for management to pawn Tucker off as the scapegoat at this point. Seeing that the offense has been far more of a disappointment than the defense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one would be shocked and disappointed if Tdog returns. His team blows on both sides of the ball. He has lost the respect of the players. No chance he returns. There is not one coach mentioned that impresses me much, including that wrongly named NE coach. Without Brady he sucked and was about to be fired. Personally I don't care who the coach is. No one is winning shit with Cutler. All the so called top coaches have elite QBs. I want one of those. Any coach with a personality will do. Any coach that holds players accountable will do.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing all of the rhetoric about Rex Ryan during the Jets-Fins game on MNF, what do you think the odds are that he ends up a DC somewhere? I don't think anyone offers him a head coaching position.

So why not here? Odds of this happening? Slim. Perhaps.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing all of the rhetoric about Rex Ryan during the Jets-Fins game on MNF, what do you think the odds are that he ends up a DC somewhere? I don't think anyone offers him a head coaching position.

I don't know. If he's smart, he'll recognize that he is at his best as a DC and not an HC.

I'd take either one of the Ryan boys as DC.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VERY hard for management to pawn Tucker off as the scapegoat at this point. Seeing that the offense has been far more of a disappointment than the defense.

I think that one word... you just wrote is the key here. "Disappointment" I think we are all very disappointed in what the O has done and had MUCH bigger expectations. Of course.

We all "knew" the D wasn't going to light things up and we weren't going to count on it.

But think of it this way: *and I know I do this all the time, just my way...
The Bears will most likely say: Well they are still only in the second year of a system, the majority of the key contributors will be back, we want to keep the continuity of this scheme together, Jay's all in, we have Alshon and Brandon...etc... We will pad this group with some more help on the Oline, and they will continue to improve...blah, blah, blah... (not to mention Tresty has another 2 years on his deal)

They will look at the stats- and think- well, it's better then we have had in the past:
First downs: 11th
Comp: 7th
Passing yards: 15th
Passing TD's: 8th
We can work with this: "Fix some things" "clean some things up" "We gotta look at the tape"

Defense: While everyone has been bemoaning the lack of O...The D has been overlooked, well maybe not overlooked- but more like "glossed over" is that better? "we knew it would be bad...so let's not focus on it" Well it is...

Yards: 26th
Yards Per play: 28th
Passing yards given up: 30th
Passing TD's given up: Tied for 32nd
Rushing yards- 10th HEY!!! (only because teams know then can pass at will!)

In the past two years they have given up 50+points three times. That's historic.

To put into perspective: ***AND YES THIS IS A REACH***... I know that... Let's say we put up 6 more points per game... would put us at 7th in the league in scoring. Do you know what our record would be?
6-6. We would have ONE more win. One. (Buffalo would have won) Would you feel more comfortable with the offense if you could say we were 7th in the league in scoring? Sure.

(and if we actually scored exactly 27 points in every game... it would be 6-5-1 would have tied with the Dolphins- but honestly... if we only score 27 a game... I don't see our D holding them for a full OT quarter to have that end in a tie.)

That's how bad our Defense has been. Pulling 72 points out of my ass and adding it to our total- would still not give us a better outcome. Every game that we have lost, except for one, was by more then 6 points. I know, I know, some will say it's because of turnovers, and 3 and outs... and not milking the clock but like I said- it's a reach...just perspective.

This is why Tucker needs to go (I don't think anyone disagrees with that) and Tresty will get another chance next year. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've also heard people say that they think he's absolutely going to get a HC job.

He did lead the Jets to three AFCCG's. It's more than possible.