• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TNF = BS

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else think that Thursday Night Football is utter bullshit?

The NFL is always prattling on about how much they care about player safety then they turn around and give teams 3 days rest before they have to play again just to pump their network. It's ridiculous.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 4 days rest even if the team had played Sunday night. It's great if you win, terrible if you lose.

As a viewer, I love one more nationally televised game.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, I love it. I don't watch much TV, but come football season, my TV nights are packed thanks to Thursday Night Football. Really gives me something to look forward to mid-week and makes the weekend seem longer for me since I'm always toasted Friday morning (and most of the day too) from the night before. Good stuff.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only sucks because I don't have NFL Network and don't get the games.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 4 days rest even if the team had played Sunday night. It's great if you win, terrible if you lose.

As a viewer, I love one more nationally televised game.

Sunday=play Monday=rest Tuesday=rest Wednesday=rest Thursday=play

I only count three days of rest.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how players and teams might not like it, but as a fan, I love it. More days with decent football on = Good. The only problem is that every team has to have a game on Thursday, so they (intentionally, I'm sure) end up scheduling some real clunkers (why have Seattle play Jacksonville for a National Audience when you can knock Jacksonville & Cleveland... or whomever... out in one week?). This week, though, should be a decent one.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can appreciate the 'more football the better' angle but I think players deserve more than a couple days to heal up between games. Thursday night games seem at odds with the NFL's 'player safety first' mantra.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HATE Thursday night football, mainly because I have yet to see a really good game. Every time the game comes on you see two teams not ready to do battle. There tired, slow, give up plays they never would have done. (I still blame the loss of last years game against the 49ners on having to play on Thursday, both teams where off). Too me the product suffers and its worse than watching cream-puff collage games where you know the outcome before the game begins. At least that's my takeaway from Thursday's night games.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should go back to only having Thursday night games for part of the season and the teams playing in those games should have their bye the Sunday prior to the game.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HATE Thursday night football, mainly because I have yet to see a really good game. Every time the game comes on you see two teams not ready to do battle. There tired, slow, give up plays they never would have done. (I still blame the loss of last years game against the 49ners on having to play on Thursday, both teams where off). Too me the product suffers and its worse than watching cream-puff collage games where you know the outcome before the game begins. At least that's my takeaway from Thursday's night games.

Meh, teams put up crappy performances on Sundays & Mondays as well. I thought last year's Hawks/Niners game was highly competitive and very indicative of their relative talent. Hawks had their chances and didn't capitalize and two great defenses dominated the game. SF's lack of a HFA showed up and it was while PC still had the breaks on Russell running the offense.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should go back to only having Thursday night games for part of the season and the teams playing in those games should have their bye the Sunday prior to the game.

The 2nd part of this I definitely agree with... It doesn't seem like it would be much a scheduling nightmare to work that out, so I wonder why they don't do it...

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree...I don't recall a single game where teams were just efficient and performing at their highest level. They've all been tough it out games where the team that makes the least mistakes wins.

It's cool to have something mid week to look forward to but like Monkey said it really diminishes the product.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is utter BS... Football is played once a week for a reason... Monday night is ok because even if you play the next Sunday you still get 6 day's rest which is considered a short week but still do-able... Thursday night football does not give you time to heal up and prepare.... I remember that Sunday night battle we had vs New England to then flip around and travel to San Fran on 3 day's @#$^ing rest... You could see the fatigue BIG TIME.... NFL cares so much about injuries so why would you play a team after 3 full day's rest...

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd part of this I definitely agree with...

Trust me, I would like to see Thursday games all year, but forcing teams to have their bye week in week two or three, might be a pretty tough sell. Of course in the interest of safety, they should just do it.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've always wondered why they don't just schedule it so that both teams playing are coming off their bye week. I mean, it'll make it so that neither is tired, underprepared and it would show that they were trying to get quality product as well as quality opponents. Just a thought.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I would like to see Thursday games all year, but forcing teams to have their bye week in week two or three, might be a pretty tough sell. Of course in the interest of safety, they should just do it.

They could finagle the schedule to work it out.... two games on Thursday in a few weeks (in particular, week 1), no Thursday games weeks 2, 3 or 4, add a thursday game (or two) week 16...

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could finagle the schedule to work it out.... two games on Thursday in a few weeks (in particular, week 1), no Thursday games weeks 2, 3 or 4, add a thursday game (or two) week 16...

I wrote out a schedule, works great, fair to every team, yet have no way to get it to "The right People".
It involves only 2 preseason games, still 16 regular season games.
Read this next part carefully and entirely before you jump on me.
Wed/Thursday games (2) each week. If you have one of those games, you get the weekend on each side of that game off. Both teams, fair to all. So in a 4 week span, you would play 3 games. Let say this
Sept 1, Sunday Game
Sept 11/12 a Wed or Thurs Game
Sept 22, Sunday Game.

Each team would do this twice during the season, along with a regular bye week somewhere else.
I wrote this out, it works. Creates 1 additional week to do entire pre-season and regular season.

Work calls, I'll write more later to clarify.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a great idea, Duncekaep. 4 preseason games are pretty much useless anyway, two sounds about right.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Years ago I read a piece written by Patrick Kerny called "A week in the Life of a Football Player" or something like that.
He said he starts his week by going in to see the trainers on Monday morning to have his fingers drained (!) because they're always swelled up from being smashed between helmets all day Sunday. That's not every once and a while, that's every week!

Jeez, give the poor guys some time to heal between games! They annihilate their bodies for our entertainment, I can wait a week between games.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote out a schedule, works great, fair to every team, yet have no way to get it to "The right People".
It involves only 2 preseason games, still 16 regular season games.
Read this next part carefully and entirely before you jump on me.
Wed/Thursday games (2) each week. If you have one of those games, you get the weekend on each side of that game off. Both teams, fair to all. So in a 4 week span, you would play 3 games. Let say this
Sept 1, Sunday Game
Sept 11/12 a Wed or Thurs Game
Sept 22, Sunday Game.

Each team would do this twice during the season, along with a regular bye week somewhere else.
I wrote this out, it works. Creates 1 additional week to do entire pre-season and regular season.

Work calls, I'll write more later to clarify.

There is no acceptable schedule with only two preseason games.