• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: TkSecond Round: Pittsburgh Penguins v. Washington Capitals

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's exactly the kind of hit the league says they want to stop. Late, Charging, Left his feet, went high and about 80 feet from the puck.

Wheel O' Justice may still be on Tom Wilson mode.

Plus, I am given to understand the league wants to give all the breaks to the Penguins. :thumb:

Right, but the league looks at result, not intent/action. They're more inclined to get you for hitting a guy in the head when you weren't trying to than aiming for the head and missing, it seems.

I agree with @ritari330 that it was a 2-minute charge and little else, according to the book. On the other hand, I have to wonder if charging should maybe be an automatic 5 instead, just to better dissuade players from making risky/dangerous hits.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to work late and missed the game, but phewwwww....

Dodged that 3-1 series lead that always gets us. Good job, Caps!

Reactions: gob

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the follow-up. Letang might be lucky Oshie is a bad shot (in punches that is) because that's a dangerous position to be in. Kind of wish Oshie had punched a little harder and broken his wrist on the ice.

But time to move on. Nobody hurt and we're going to a best of 3! Based on the up and down play, it's anyone's series. It's going to come down to goaltending, lucky bounces, or special teams, imo. Not much to separate these two at 5-on-5.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get to see the whole game, but to my eye, and of what I did see, this was the best neutral-zone decision making game of the series for the Pens. They didn't burn themselves too badly at any point. If they turned it over, the rush was defendable, at least, even if it was an odd-man, because they had someone close enough to push back. That was probably a big part of the third-period shut down, too.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the follow-up. Letang might be lucky Oshie is a bad shot (in punches that is) because that's a dangerous position to be in. Kind of wish Oshie had punched a little harder and broken his wrist on the ice.

But time to move on. Nobody hurt and we're going to a best of 3! Based on the up and down play, it's anyone's series. It's going to come down to goaltending, lucky bounces, or special teams, imo. Not much to separate these two at 5-on-5.
it seems like they don't like each other...:noidea:

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the Oshie hit if anyone wants to see. I could see them giving a fine, just as a heads-up, but no way Oshie misses time for that. But again, not sure what he was thinking, especially after Wilson's suspension. If Letang gets hurt - or even just fakes it for a day or two - he's missing multiple games. No reason to do that (anytime really) at this point in a close series.

He left his feet to hit Letang high!! that should have been a 2 minute penalty but nothing more.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better game for the Penguins but still does the rest of the team know how to score goals?

The defense was still shaky with the puck but really kept the Caps in check. Another great game and look forward to Saturday. :suds:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better game for the Penguins but still does the rest of the team know how to score goals?

The defense was still shaky with the puck but really kept the Caps in check. Another great game and look forward to Saturday. :suds:

Especially in the 3rd, the Hagelin, Hornqvist, Malkin line was looking good tonight.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to work late and missed the game, but phewwwww....

Dodged that 3-1 series lead that always gets us. Good job, Caps!

Another positive note for Washington fans the Pirates made Hellickson look like an Ace tonight.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the Oshie hit if anyone wants to see. I could see them giving a fine, just as a heads-up, but no way Oshie misses time for that. But again, not sure what he was thinking, especially after Wilson's suspension. If Letang gets hurt - or even just fakes it for a day or two - he's missing multiple games. No reason to do that (anytime really) at this point in a close series.

From that angle you can clearly see his rocket skates stuck open. Hockey play.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps had three shots in third period. That's what I love to see from the Pens.

It's crazy how night and day Bylsma vs. Sullivan is. Byslma was thoroughly outcoached in almost every series post 2009. I won't say Sullivan is outcoaching Trotz, but he's making adjustments and it shows. Pens did a much better job of breaking through the neutral zone and avoiding turnovers. Kind of interested to see how the Caps counter.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the follow-up. Letang might be lucky Oshie is a bad shot (in punches that is) because that's a dangerous position to be in. Kind of wish Oshie had punched a little harder and broken his wrist on the ice

Cool!

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, it was a complete bitch move but don't see a suspension.

You would think he would have learned to be a good loser by now.:suds:

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his injury happened in the second last game of the season. I remember there was debate whether they'd rest him his last game, given that he's one of the NHL's "iron man" leaders. Speculation is that it's something mid-body, like a rib or hip injury. He just doesn't have his usual jump, or snap on his shots.
I think it's time to sit Phil and let him heal up. He's obviously not playing at his usual high level and he's hurting the team with his constant turnovers trying to protect the injury. Iron man streak be damned, let him heal up!!!

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one's keeping you here.

I don't understand this one. That was a really well played, straightforward hockey game. I didn't think the officiating was an issue.

Did they think the Malkin goal shouldn't have counted? Is he just being whiny? So many questions...