• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Titans Stance On Mariota Deal

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long will Titans maintain stance on Mariota deal?

The fact the Titans have said they're taking a hard line when it comes to negotiating rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota's contract shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone at this point.

The question is just how long the team is willing to stick to its guns.

Mariota is the NFL's only remaining unsigned first-round pick. The team said its offset language.

The Titans don't want to be on the hook for any money should Mariota not play four years.

I contacted Mr. Glennon of the Tennessean and this is his response......

John Glennon ‏@glennonsports 19h19 hours ago

How long can #Titans afford to hold the line on Mariota contract? http://tnne.ws/1HvcgxN pic.twitter.com/aSee2JdMNq

Mike ‏@titanfan8 12h12 hours ago

@glennonsports Hoping they get deal done not only so Mariota doesn't miss any camp but the team needs to realize many are watching as well.

John Glennon ‏@glennonsports 11h11 hours ago

@titanfan8 That just might be the difference maker in the end.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans are blowing this.

I get it, but you don't take a guy 2nd overall @ QB and plan for him not to play out his rookie deal.

They should've traded the pick...who knows, maybe they still can do that, but negotiating with your QB of the future just like he's one of 53 is stupid imo.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it, but you don't take a guy 2nd overall @ QB and plan for him not to play out his rookie deal.

They should've traded the pick...who knows, maybe they still can do that, but negotiating with your QB of the future just like he's one of 53 is stupid imo.

That's my take as well. If I'm the team and I just used a #2 pick on him then the last thing I'm worried about is him being cut before his rookie deal is up and then signing for anything more than the minimum with a new team. So in reality they are arguing over a few hundred thousand bucks. That's a lot of money to regular guys, but not NFL players.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah me myself i thought the team should've stuck with Mettenberger and took whatever Eagles gave up in players and draft picks for Mariota. Your a Steelers fan you saw how well Mettenberger played you guys last year. We lost in a close game but Mettenberger had a 110 QB rating and set a new rookie QB pass record on MNF including an 80 yard bomb with a defender in his face. I think with all the extra draft picks and players the team would've done great with Mett BUT dumbass GM and Whisenhunt wanted Mariota even though Mariota does not fir what Whisenhunt does at all on offense.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my take as well. If I'm the team and I just used a #2 pick on him then the last thing I'm worried about is him being cut before his rookie deal is up and then signing for anything more than the minimum with a new team. So in reality they are arguing over a few hundred thousand bucks. That's a lot of money to regular guys, but not NFL players.

Stuff like this makes me hate our front office. I can't wait until the Adams sell the team hopefully to locals in Tennessee hell the family is based in Texas:gaah:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're planning on the second overall pick not lasting on the team four years

What a poorly run franchise.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching NFL since 1985 roughly around thirty years. When i first started watching Tennessee had no team so i liked the Raiders and Steelers. In '99 once we got a team i strictly became a Titans fan. From 1999-2008 the first ten years were awesome. After Fisher left and they drafted QB Jake Locker it all went bad. All the team needs is to get the QB position settled. I thought Mettenberger was solid but the higher ups like Mariota. Not totally similar but someone said the Titans are in the situation like San Diego with Brees/Rivers in 2004 they had to choose and both went on to be good QB's. I think that will happen here as well that Mariota and Mettenberger will both end up being good QB's.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're planning on the second overall pick not lasting on the team four years

What a poorly run franchise.

"Poorly?" Poorly?!

It's in complete fucking DISARRAY!

They've dug in on this and made a huge issue out of it and are further confusing and alienating players and fans.

The Titans need a massive overhaul from top-to-bottom. If I bought that team, the very first thing I'd do is call Eddie George and beg him to get back with the team. How IN THE HELL do you completely alienate the greatest living player in the history of your franchise and do everything you can to make him feel small and unwanted, especially when it's a top-notch all-class guy like Eddie George?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah me myself i thought the team should've stuck with Mettenberger and took whatever Eagles gave up in players and draft picks for Mariota. Your a Steelers fan you saw how well Mettenberger played you guys last year. We lost in a close game but Mettenberger had a 110 QB rating and set a new rookie QB pass record on MNF including an 80 yard bomb with a defender in his face. I think with all the extra draft picks and players the team would've done great with Mett BUT dumbass GM and Whisenhunt wanted Mariota even though Mariota does not fir what Whisenhunt does at all on offense.

Born and raised in TN (long, long before the state even had a team) so I always pay attention to the Titans...and him being at GA for a while, yes, I know a lot about Mett...if he never got in trouble @ UGA the kid is probably no worse than a 2nd rd pick but more likely a 1st rounder. Heck if he didn't smash up his knee at LSU he still probably goes no worse than 2nd or late 1st...the kid is a legit NFL prospect...not sure what Whiz was thinking on this draft of if his hand was forced...the smart play was to take the best DEF player in the draft and come back later for another QB or trade the pick.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that will happen here as well that Mariota and Mettenberger will both end up being good QB's.

I do too...

For someone else!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born and raised in TN (long, long before the state even had a team) so I always pay attention to the Titans...and him being at GA for a while, yes, I know a lot about Mett...if he never got in trouble @ UGA the kid is probably no worse than a 2nd rd pick but more likely a 1st rounder. Heck if he didn't smash up his knee at LSU he still probably goes no worse than 2nd or late 1st...the kid is a legit NFL prospect...not sure what Whiz was thinking on this draft of if his hand was forced...the smart play was to take the best DEF player in the draft and come back later for another QB or trade the pick.

No, it makes perfect sense for Ruston Webster and Ken Whisenhunt personally.

You take Leonard Williams or the deal from Phillie and the team still sucks and you get fired at the end of the season. Zero doubt about that.

You take Mariota and the team still sucks but at the end of the season you get to say "no, wait. This is a franchise QB and we deserve a few years to see what happens." You sign a 3-year extension worth many millions and sport a shit-eating grin at the expense of the Titans.

I'd fucking LOVE IT if Mariota walked away right now. The look on Webster's face would be absolutely priceless.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MIKE75 I love how Glennon and Kuharsky will respond. You should call in and talk to Kuharksy sometime. They liked my first couple of calls (was a long wait to get on the air) and now they put me right on as soon as I call in.

104.5 The Zone

It makes me crave this franchise being back in a position we can embrace. I want nothing to do with this regime.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've succeeded in pissing off both QBs. Now neither one is happy. :L

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it makes perfect sense for Ruston Webster and Ken Whisenhunt personally.

You take Leonard Williams or the deal from Phillie and the team still sucks and you get fired at the end of the season. Zero doubt about that.

You take Mariota and the team still sucks but at the end of the season you get to say "no, wait. This is a franchise QB and we deserve a few years to see what happens." You sign a 3-year extension worth many millions and sport a shit-eating grin at the expense of the Titans.

I'd fucking LOVE IT if Mariota walked away right now. The look on Webster's face would be absolutely priceless.

I did know that Ken was on the hotseat (a Webster hire?) so I guess it makes sense from that standpoint to try and get another deal out of the Titans...then why pull this dumbass offset shit? Get kid signed and into camp already...I would really hate to see the Titans turn into the Browns of the south.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did know that Ken was on the hotseat (a Webster hire?) so I guess it makes sense from that standpoint to try and get another deal out of the Titans...then why pull this dumbass offset shit? Get kid signed and into camp already...I would really hate to see the Titans turn into the Browns of the south.

That was 100% the responsibility of the new President/CEO from everything I've read. He has not a clue what he's doing but now he took a firm stance and talked tough and they can't back down. I read a quote from him where he basically said "if we cave in on this we have zero leverage on other issues." The article listed a bunch of franchise QBs who have none of this wording in the contracts.

LOL @ the Tennessee fucking Titans.

Sell the damn team and clean house already. :mad2:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing really. The new CBA made it so stupidly easy to get rookie deals done, yet Tennessee has managed a way to bungle it up.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing really. The new CBA made it so stupidly easy to get rookie deals done, yet Tennessee has managed a way to bungle it up.

Every single season since Jeff left the Titans have been among the very last (if not last) to get first and second round picks signed.

The level of incompetence throughout this organization is astounding. And you have NO IDEA about the stadium issues. Let's not even go there!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad my cluelessness as to what the Titans are trying to do is far from a small or ignorant base.

At this point it's every man for himself to make as much money as easily as possible until the team sells.

Bud Adams is rolling over in his grave.

"Shit will get better when Bud dies. Just wait."

No, shit got worse!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of an offset is so that a player can't double dip.

Presumably, if Mariota is Blaine Gabbert and gets cut after 3 years, some team will take a flier and pay him a minimum wage $500,000 salary. If the Titans win and get their offset, they will have an additional $500,000 in 2018.

Right now, the Titans have the second most salary cap space in the league. $25.4 million.
They have no players due massive extensions, and if needed could save some pennies restructuring or cutting Michael Griffin, Charlie Whitehurst and Sammie Lee Hill.

The Titans do not need salary cap relief. The Titans will get minimal cap relief if they win the offset battle.

......and also, planning for your first round pick to fail is planning to fail