• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim legler, ESPN, and you dunces on Spurs as #2

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the fact that the Rockets were in the tie gave the edge to the Spurs.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confused. NBA Regular Season Conference Standings - National Basketball Association

If Spurs won tonight, they'd have the same win-loss as the Clippers, split 2-2 with Clippers H2H, not in same division, and Clippers have a better Conf record... so why did Tim Legler, ESPN, and you dunces keep saying that the Spurs get the #2 seed if they won tonight?

You're the dunce actually.

Spurs just like Houston did would have gotten the 2 seed over the Clippers because they won their division and the Clippers did not.

Division winner is the first tiebreaker

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the dunce actually.

Spurs just like Houston did would have gotten the 2 seed over the Clippers because they won their division and the Clippers did not.

Division winner is the first tiebreaker

Actually, the reason that Spurs would have gotten the #2 seed is because it would have been a THREE-WAY tie.... and the Spurs had the best winning percentage within the three teams. Boom.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers 56-26
Rockets 56-26
...and if Spurs won tonight: 56-26

From my understanding ( I could be wrong because I'm not doing any research on this) but I believe if the above scenario would've happened, 2 different things would have taken place

1) Rockets and Spurs decided the division in their own tiebreaker. Spurs would win on H2H.

2) Spurs and Clippers would decide the 2 seed on another tiebreaker which would be the division winner tiebreaker.

Could be wrong but doubt it

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my understanding ( I could be wrong because I'm not doing any research on this) but I believe if the above scenario would've happened, 2 different things would have taken place

1) Rockets and Spurs decided the division in their own tiebreaker. Spurs would win on H2H.

2) Spurs and Clippers would decide the 2 seed on another tiebreaker which would be the division winner tiebreaker.

Could be wrong but doubt it

that's not how I read it/// the HEad to Head to decide Div Champ has nothing to do with deciding the Playoff Seeding... but I could be wrong... because the NBA tie-break and divisional rules are FUCKING STOOPIT

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
c. Guidelines For Applying Tie-Break Criteria.

The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:

(1) (a) Since the three division winners are guaranteed a spot in the top four, ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.

(b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner and its playoff position, not any other playoff position(s).

(2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:

>>>>
b. More Than Two Teams Tied

(1) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

(2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in the same division).

(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

(4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

(5) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents ("point differential").

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's not how I read it/// the HEad to Head to decide Div Champ has nothing to do with deciding the Playoff Seeding... but I could be wrong... because the NBA tie-break and divisional rules are FUCKING STOOPIT

Playoff seeding is pretty simple to understand.

1) Division winner is guaranteed a top 4 seed but is not guarantee HCA ( See Portland this year if you have trouble understanding this)

2) If teams finish with the same record, you apply the following tiebreaks:

(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
(3) Division won-lost percentage
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the three-way tie-breaker... and it is NOT that simple... that is why there are paragraphs upon paragraphs of notes [which you purposefully neglected to quote, Mr. It's Simple:

Playoff Tie-Break Procedures

Posted Aug 25 2010 3:04PM

The following outlines the NBA's playoff tie-break rules and procedures based on the final regular season standings:

Tiebreaker Basis
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
(3) Division won-lost percentage
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games

x-Clinched Playoff Berth | o-Eliminated from Playoffs contention | e-Clinched Eastern Conference | w-Clinched Western Conference | nw-Clinched Northwest Division | p-Clinched Pacific Conference | sw-Clinched Southwest Division | a-Clinched Atlantic Division | c-Clinched Central Conference | se-Clinched Southeast Conference

*-Games remaining vs.Teams Over/Under .500

Playoff Tie-Break Procedures
Teams 1 to 4 in each conference are the three division winners and the team with the next best regular-season record, with the seeding of these four teams determined by regular-season record. The playoffs seedings of Teams 5 to 8 are based upon regular-season record. Ties are broken pursuant to the rules set forth below.

Ties for playoff positions (including division winners) will be broken utilizing the criteria set forth in subparagraph a. below (in the case of ties involving two teams) and subparagraph b. below (in the case of ties involving more than two teams), and the guidelines set forth in subparagraph c. below.

a. Two Teams Tied

(1) Better winning percentage in games against each other

(2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).

(4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

(5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

(6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents ("point differential").

b. More Than Two Teams Tied

(1) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

(2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in the same division).

(5) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents ("point differential").

c. Guidelines For Applying Tie-Break Criteria.

The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:

(1) (a) Since the three division winners are guaranteed a spot in the top four, ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.

(b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner and its playoff position, not any other playoff position(s).

(2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:

(a) Each of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tiebreak criterion (a "complete" breaking of the tie). In this circumstance, the team with the best winning percentage or point differential under the criterion will be awarded the best playoff position, the team with the next-best winning percentage or point differential will be awarded the next-best playoff position, and so on, and no further application of the tie-break criteria will be required.

~OR~

(b) One or more (but not all) of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tie-break criterion (a "partial" breaking of the tie). In this circumstance: (x) any team(s) that performed better under the applicable criterion than any other team(s) will be awarded a higher playoff position than such other team(s); and (y) teams that had equivalent performance under the applicable criterion will remain tied, and such remaining tie(s) will be broken by applying, from the beginning, the criteria in subparagraph a.(1)-(6) above (for any remaining tie involving only two teams) or subparagraph b.(1)-(5) above (for any remaining tie involving more than two teams) and the guidelines set forth in this subparagraph c.

(3) If application of the criteria in subparagraph a. or b. does not result in the breaking of a tie, the playoff positions of the tied teams will be determined by a random drawing.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I said a few minutes ago, you break the division winner tie break and then you break the other tiebreak by following the simple tiebreak rules.

I think the more than two teams tied is really only used for the following situations:
  • 3 teams tied in the same division
  • 3 teams tied from 3 different divisions
  • 3 teams tied but none of the teams were division winners.
Your scenario is different because 2 of the 3 were from the same division which means you must apply the division tiebreaker first so there would be no 3 team tiebreak because you're breaking one tie by settling the division. Now let's say the Warriors, Rockets, & Blazers all finish with the same record then in that case you would apply the 3 team tiebreak

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in all this muck is the fact that my Team's reward for finishing 3rd is a 1st round knockout by the fucking Spurs.

I would rather play the Warriors.

This is the worst scenario imaginable.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in all this muck is the fact that my Team's reward for finishing 3rd is a 1st round knockout by the fucking Spurs.

:agree:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the more than two teams tied is really only used for the following situations:
  • 3 teams tied in the same division
  • 3 teams tied from 3 different divisions
  • 3 teams tied but none of the teams were division winners.
Your scenario is different because 2 of the 3 were from the same division which means you must apply the division tiebreaker first
"Ties for playoff positions (including division winners) will be broken utilizing the criteria set forth in subparagraph a. below (in the case of ties involving two teams) and subparagraph b. below (in the case of ties involving more than two teams)"

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would rather play the Warriors.

This is the worst scenario imaginable.

I swear the Clips are cursed. Even when they have a very good team and get a high playoff seed, they can't catch a break.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear the Clips are cursed. Even when they have a very good team and get a high playoff seed, they can't catch a break.

Agreed.

Even when we win, we lose.

:suds:Heres to another 1st round curb stomp.

...and I don't even have the draft to look forward to.

We gave up our pick for Doc.:gaah: