• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tiger Woods says 'didnt hit it good enough' to compete at PGA Championship

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another major championship season passed Sunday without a victory for Tiger Woods, a foregone conclusion at the outset of the PGA Championship's final round at Oak Hill Country Club.

Woods fought back with a 3-under-par 32 on the back nine to shoot even-par 70, far too little and far too late to make much difference at a tournament he has won four times.

It marked the end of five full seasons without a major title for Woods, who has been stuck on 14 since capturing the 2008 U.S. Open.

"Yeah, I was close in two of them; I was right there and certainly had a chance to win the Masters and British this year," said Woods, who tied for fourth at the Masters and tied for sixth at the Open Championship. "The other two, I just didn't hit it good enough. Just the way it goes."

That was certainly the case here, where Woods was never able to shoot in the 60s and finished his round before the leaders were even on the course Sunday. He began the day 13 strokes back and finished with a score of 284, 4-over par.

Source: ESPN

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another major championship season passed Sunday without a victory for Tiger Woods, a foregone conclusion at the outset of the PGA Championship's final round at Oak Hill Country Club.

Woods fought back with a 3-under-par 32 on the back nine to shoot even-par 70, far too little and far too late to make much difference at a tournament he has won four times.

It marked the end of five full seasons without a major title for Woods, who has been stuck on 14 since capturing the 2008 U.S. Open.

"Yeah, I was close in two of them; I was right there and certainly had a chance to win the Masters and British this year," said Woods, who tied for fourth at the Masters and tied for sixth at the Open Championship. "The other two, I just didn't hit it good enough. Just the way it goes."

That was certainly the case here, where Woods was never able to shoot in the 60s and finished his round before the leaders were even on the course Sunday. He began the day 13 strokes back and finished with a score of 284, 4-over par.

Source: ESPN

Ya gotta love it.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that he has never once broken even on that course. Pretty shocking, I'm sure that was in his head a bit this past weekend.

I think he will break through and win another major (or several) before its all said and done for his career. He is just too good not to IMO.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that he has never once broken even on that course. Pretty shocking, I'm sure that was in his head a bit this past weekend.

I think he will break through and win another major (or several) before its all said and done for his career. He is just too good not to IMO.

He hasn't broken 70 on the weekend at a Major in years.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't broken 70 on the weekend at a Major in years.

True, but at Oak Hill he has never broken 70 in any round ever in his career. That continued with his even round 70 on sunday.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but at Oak Hill he has never broken 70 in any round ever in his career. That continued with his even round 70 on sunday.

I bet there's a lotta folks could make that claim; especially when its set up for a Major. That course is a monster.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, but that has to bite a little when he saw guys breaking course records and challenging major records on Friday and the best he could post was even.

I think he will get off the 0 for streak also, but I think it will almost like winning his 1st again because there's so much build up for it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any of you see the Golf Channel analysis yesterday where they reviewed the reason for Tiger's failure during Majors? I forget who the person was providing the analysis. He basically stated that Tiger's short game was much different with his revised swing over the last several years (& emphasized using the left hand now more than the right).

This has resulted in a much poorer results around the green & much worse scores during Majors. I guess the implication is that he gets away with it during the lesser tourneys since the conditions are not as bad. Seems a bit simplistic since you would think that Tiger & his coaches would be aware of all of this. However - they appeared to make some valid pts that were reflected in his recent scores. Should make it interesting moving forward.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any of you see the Golf Channel analysis yesterday where they reviewed the reason for Tiger's failure during Majors? I forget who the person was providing the analysis. He basically stated that Tiger's short game was much different with his revised swing over the last several years (& emphasized using the left hand now more than the right).

This has resulted in a much poorer results around the green & much worse scores during Majors. I guess the implication is that he gets away with it during the lesser tourneys since the conditions are not as bad. Seems a bit simplistic since you would think that Tiger & his coaches would be aware of all of this. However - they appeared to make some valid pts that were reflected in his recent scores. Should make it interesting moving forward.

I didn't see it, but c'mon...you win 5 times on tour including a blowout the week before, but gag at the majors? Granted he didn't gag @ the Masters, but the air went out of his balloon when he hit that flag stick and it went in the water.

He's saying all the right things but imo, this is mental, mental, and more mental...he's trying to be too perfect on every shot...and he's putting as if he's wishing the ball would go in on these shortish putts that he used to knock in on a regular basis.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see it, but c'mon...you win 5 times on tour including a blowout the week before, but gag at the majors? Granted he didn't gag @ the Masters, but the air went out of his balloon when he hit that flag stick and it went in the water.

He's saying all the right things but imo, this is mental, mental, and more mental...he's trying to be too perfect on every shot...and he's putting as if he's wishing the ball would go in on these shortish putts that he used to knock in on a regular basis.

Yep - I am more in your camp on this one - just pointing out what they were stating. It puts him in a tricky situation. If it is basically mental it is not like other sports where you simply train harder & longer. More focus might result in even more mental stress down the road.

For the PGA tourney yes some of it was poor putting. However - a bigger problem that I saw was approach shots that led to relatively long birdie putts (& worse). Compare that to someone like Dufner who had numerous tap-ins. Oh well - we won't know much until at least next April.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I am more in your camp on this one - just pointing out what they were stating. It puts him in a tricky situation. If it is basically mental it is not like other sports where you simply train harder & longer. More focus might result in even more mental stress down the road.

For the PGA tourney yes some of it was poor putting. However - a bigger problem that I saw was approach shots that led to relatively long birdie putts (& worse). Compare that to someone like Dufner who had numerous tap-ins. Oh well - we won't know much until at least next April.

I here ya...the media is trying so hard to figure out why this guy has gone cold in the majors. I think it's pretty simple...pressure.

Ex. As well as Dufner played on Friday...when it came down to a historical putt for 62, something that everyone in the pro golf world would stand up and take notice of...he came up woefully short from inside 20'...pressure.

I don't think at their level that you lose your swing or your putting stroke in a week. I don't claim to have a real answer here, but imo Tiger seems to be under that kind of pressure himself now. I said his best shot to win again would be the Masters...we shall see.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotta agree on that and his putting reminds me of Tom Watson at the same age.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, his failure in the Majors is inexplicable and it makes it even better for me that it is inexplicable to him and it galls him all the more.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, his failure in the Majors is inexplicable and it makes it even better for me that it is inexplicable to him and it galls him all the more.

LOL!!! He's won what, 5 times this year, maybe four...LOL at people judging tiger on if he wins majors or not...he's soon to be the all time winningest professional golfer in the history of the game when more people are actively playing the game...he's the best that you've ever seen in your life...get over it...jack won his 18th major at 46...tiger is 37, I'll bet you he gets to 20 by the time he's done.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another great year for tiger haters