• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on trading up

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor mill has been talking about the possibility of the Lions trading up, potentially to all the way up to number 2 with my St Louis Rams.

Would trading up be something the fan base in Detroit support, or not really? You guys are already a fun team to watch, adding a top 3 player on that roster would put you into every game.

-ice

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some view moving up to take Watkins......Others view moving back and stock piling picks.....I'd rather move back and get more picks.

Lion's will take approach 3 and stay put and draft someone that most won't like.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of debate on this issue on the board. Some support trading up for an elite player, some do not. Some would much rather trade back. Some can see the virtues of either option.

If we traded up to land either Clowney, Mack, or Watkins, I personally wouldn't hate it. However, I'd much prefer to trade back 7 or 8 or so spots, take Brendin Cooks, and add an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder. Imo Cooks plus two send round players (Van Noy and Buchanon, perhaps?) helps the team far more than Watkins alone. I'm a bit higher on Clowney because of his massive up-side, particularly on our D-line. I'm all about Mack- he could be a monster OLB in our defense with his ability to rush the passer or play the run and still cover the pass.

If we stay at #10 Aaron Donald is my guy...

Last edited by a moderator:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you'd get 2 seconds if you move back form ten. Not do I think Cooks even comes close to Watkins in talent. I think both Watkins and even Evans can help any team and are much better then the next set of WRs. just imo though

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you'd get 2 seconds if you move back form ten. Not do I think Cooks even comes close to Watkins in talent. I think both Watkins and even Evans can help any team and are much better then the next set of WRs. just imo though

I don't think we'd get two second rounders for that trade, either. However, we'd have t give up a second rounder to move up and get Watkins. So, if we did that we'd have Watkins and no second rounders. If we can trade back into the late teens, we could have that pick plus two second round picks. I'll take three starters over one player with the potential to be an elite talent, at least right now. We have plenty of top-tier talent that we already can't afford.

Cooks isn't on par talent-wise with Watkins, but he's still very talented. He's faster than Watkins, and could be a great weapon for us out of the slot with his big-play potential.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor mill has been talking about the possibility of the Lions trading up, potentially to all the way up to number 2 with my St Louis Rams.

Would trading up be something the fan base in Detroit support, or not really? You guys are already a fun team to watch, adding a top 3 player on that roster would put you into every game.

-ice

People have varying opinions on this situation. I've probably been the most vocal against the move, unless it was being done to upgrade the defense.

I think Watkins and Evans will both be high quality players, but neither player is going to take the Lions to the next level. We have multiple spots to upgrade and on a team that already has Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Reggie Bush -- a 3rd WR isn't at the top of my list.

Mack or Clowney would be the two guys I would be pulling to see drafted by Detroit if they traded up. I just feel the team needs way more help defensively than they do offensively, especially after the addition of Tate in FA.

If you don't mind Ice -- could you call the Rams front office and tell them to ask for every draft pick the Lions have in 2014, plus their 1st round picks 1st born son, so Detroit is unable to move up and trade away picks. TY in advance.:laugh3:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The redskins offered their first born sons but we took an extra 1st instead haha.

And yeah the defense you can trade up for wouldn't hurt either. All going to depend on with what Houston goes with.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The redskins offered their first born sons but we took an extra 1st instead haha.

And yeah the defense you can trade up for wouldn't hurt either. All going to depend on with what Houston goes with.

I can understand trading away a bundle if you are trading up to draft what you think is a franchise QB. I just have trouble justify trading up to draft a WR when you already have Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate.

With so many question marks on defense -- If they are going to trade away picks -- I, personally, hope it is to give the defensive line help, with either an elite pass rusher, like Clowney or an elite talent at LB in Mack. Both would help the Lions much more than a WR, IMO.

I'm just not as high on Watkins as some of analysts have been. I also think if Watkins is supposed to be the best college WR prospect since Calvin Johnson -- there is no chance St. Louis would pass him up, when they already have two picks in the top 13. They'd want to surround Bradford with as much talent as possible to succeed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with either situation. I see the good in them all. When you have a opportunity to get an elite player, you do it. I believe teams should always be aggressive and go for the players they want. Playing the cards how they're dealt isnt always the answer.

Trading back is good also as long as its well executed.

If they stay at 10, I'm hoping for Evans or Gilbert.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not as high on Watkins as some of analysts have been. I also think if Watkins is supposed to be the best college WR prospect since Calvin Johnson -- there is no chance St. Louis would pass him up, when they already have two picks in the top 13. They'd want to surround Bradford with as much talent as possible to succeed.

Trustme got a question for you. I am interested to know if the Lions were sitting in the Rams shoes and had #2 and #13 where would go?

scenario 1
at #2 Clowney Mack and Watkins available?

scenario 2
Watkins and Mack available cause Clownet gone?

Just wondering. I am all for defense, however in this case I would almost go Watkins and then go defense with #13 and second rd. pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trustme got a question for you. I am interested to know if the Lions were sitting in the Rams shoes and had #2 and #13 where would go?

scenario 1
at #2 Clowney Mack and Watkins available?

scenario 2
Watkins and Mack available cause Clownet gone?

Just wondering. I am all for defense, however in this case I would almost go Watkins and then go defense with #13 and second rd. pick.

There really isn't a scenario where I would want to draft a WR in the 1st round, unless someone offered a ridiculous package to move up to #2 overall.

If Detroit had the #2 and #13 picks -- I would draft Clowney. Detroit finished last season with 6th ranked rush defense and the part of the game they struggled with is getting to the QB. Adding a guy like Clowney could make Detroit's DL the best in the league, and it could also help out the secondary, as it could give QBs less time to throw.

At #13 -- it'd depend on who available there. My 1st choice would be Dennard. I just have a feeling he is going to be the best CB in this draft based on his intelligence and overall skill set. If he adjusts to how the game is called at the NFL level -- he is going to be a great CB.

If Dennard is gone -- I would go with Barr. Freakish talent with his size and speed. Would give the Lions a rushing LB they are talking about needing. Could also be used at DE at times to rush the passer.

2nd round -- I would weigh the options of the players available. If Detroit had picked Clowney and Dennard. I would go with Van Noy. If Detroit had picked Clowney and Barr, I would go with someone like Fuller, if he falls or Deone Buchanan, Jimmie Ward or even Terrance Brooks. Solidify the safety position going forward.

If a WR like Brandon Cooks falls to the 2nd round -- I'd draft him though, or even a Moncrief or Marquise Lee. After a select few though -- the quality of WR you will get in the 3rd round will still be very good with the depth in this draft, if you don't take a WR.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if it costs another first-rounder. If only our second, maybe. Otherwise the talent gap doesn't justify the price.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look how well that turned out for them.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't a scenario where I would want to draft a WR in the 1st round, unless someone offered a ridiculous package to move up to #2 overall.

If Detroit had the #2 and #13 picks -- I would draft Clowney. Detroit finished last season with 6th ranked rush defense and the part of the game they struggled with is getting to the QB. Adding a guy like Clowney could make Detroit's DL the best in the league, and it could also help out the secondary, as it could give QBs less time to throw.

At #13 -- it'd depend on who available there. My 1st choice would be Dennard. I just have a feeling he is going to be the best CB in this draft based on his intelligence and overall skill set. If he adjusts to how the game is called at the NFL level -- he is going to be a great CB.

If Dennard is gone -- I would go with Barr. Freakish talent with his size and speed. Would give the Lions a rushing LB they are talking about needing. Could also be used at DE at times to rush the passer.

2nd round -- I would weigh the options of the players available. If Detroit had picked Clowney and Dennard. I would go with Van Noy. If Detroit had picked Clowney and Barr, I would go with someone like Fuller, if he falls or Deone Buchanan, Jimmie Ward or even Terrance Brooks. Solidify the safety position going forward.

If a WR like Brandon Cooks falls to the 2nd round -- I'd draft him though, or even a Moncrief or Marquise Lee. After a select few though -- the quality of WR you will get in the 3rd round will still be very good with the depth in this draft, if you don't take a WR.

Clowney and Barr would be awesome. Or Clowney and Ha-Ha

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing I'd like to see from this team is trading up for a wr that might get 40-50 receptions and 500-600 yards in their 1st year. I realize the "down the road potential" or as another wr option should CJ or Tate go down to injury becomes highly beneficial to the offense but the focus should be a edge rushing LB'er or DB in both 1st and 2nd rounds.

I won't be disappointed should Mayhew draft Watkins or Evans, realizing their projected talent, but giving up picks that could be potential starters on defense wouldn't sit well me.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks. Trade back for more picks or take Barr at 10. Assuming he even lasts that long. Word on the street is that he is moving up on some boards.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks. Trade back for more picks or take Barr at 10. Assuming he even lasts that long. Word on the street is that he is moving up on some boards.

:agree:

I'm hoping to see several trade downs if possible. Be it 2-3 slots at a time down to 16-18 and then a possible WHAM trade down with 49er's at 30 for 3 picks (their #30 + #56 + #61 for what might be our #16 should a trade with Dallas occur). Too many players with impact would still exist at #30, IMO, versus a trade up + lose picks. Niner's have 11 picks and do not have room to add all those to their roster. They need a speedy wr and another cb, according to reports.

Players that could still be available at #30, #45, #56, #61...... Shazier, Verrett, VanNoy, Lattimer, Adams, Ward, Crichton, Bucannon, Attaochu, Richburg, M. Martin, K. Martin, Brooks, T. Smith, Matthews, Robinson (might be last years Keenan Allen)...

there's a big difference in players than just at #10 and #45 solely.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing I'd like to see from this team is trading up for a wr that might get 40-50 receptions and 500-600 yards in their 1st year. I realize the "down the road potential" or as another wr option should CJ or Tate go down to injury becomes highly beneficial to the offense but the focus should be a edge rushing LB'er or DB in both 1st and 2nd rounds.

I won't be disappointed should Mayhew draft Watkins or Evans, realizing their projected talent, but giving up picks that could be potential starters on defense wouldn't sit well me.

That is my main point and why I kept asking, what kind of numbers do you think Watkins is going to put up in Detroit's offense next year?

He isn't going to take away coverage from Calvin -- no WR in the NFL is going to do that, let alone a rookie. He isn't going to take away targets from Calvin. He is going to split receptions with Tate and possibly take a few away from the RBs, though if Lombardi is actually bringing New Orleans offense with him -- The RBs will probably take away receptions from the 2nd and 3rd WR's, as they LOVE to throw the ball to their RBs

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been supportive of Mayhew to this point, but if he trades up in this draft, I've got this rope......

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been supportive of Mayhew to this point, but if he trades up in this draft, I've got this rope......

Is the rope for him or you? I am sure there are support groups set up in West Texas for Cowboys fans, sure they will understand your pain and help you...