• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This will be the year for the Bengals

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty clear what will happen this year. The Bengals will somehow win a playoff game.... with nobody in attendance. Maybe helped along by many teams falling ill due to COVID. Then we'll spend the next 20 years arguing whether the Bengals one playoff win since 1992 should really count.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re a riot!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re a riot!

It's not out of question.... What if 25 teams have a COVID epidemic? We might be able to beat some scrub teams.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bengals will get the compensatory super bowl trophy with no one there to celebrate.

The bengals beat the remaining 3 other NFL teams in a round robin to win the superbowl. The Cleveland Browns, Washington Redskins, and Detroit Lions.

the bengals finally get their trophy, and the rest of the league can discredit Cincinnati for one more thing.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little optimistic, and at least Joe B. looks good, when he gets any protection from the line.

but the best thing this team can do now is declare that someone has covid and f'ning stay home. they are going to get their franchise player injured.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little optimistic, and at least Joe B. looks good, when he gets any protection from the line.

but the best thing this team can do now is declare that someone has covid and f'ning stay home. they are going to get their franchise player injured.
Yeah..... Maybe we can get Ryan Finely some more work while we tank the season. Put Joe in some bubble wrap. Trade that first round pick for a bunch of picks. Be the 76ers of football.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he gets hella pressure from a high caliber team I would hope they could sit him for a bit and let Finley take the abuse.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah..... Maybe we can get Ryan Finely some more work while we tank the season. Put Joe in some bubble wrap. Trade that first round pick for a bunch of picks. Be the 76ers of football.
I gave up on this when we drafted Akili Smith instead of getting like 8 more draft picks

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave up on this when we drafted Akili Smith instead of getting like 8 more draft picks

Brown puts a high priority on QBs.

I remember Dave Lapham discussing on a talk show that the word around the organization was that "Akili was stupid"

it would have been nice to figure that out after a few conversations, not after going all in on him for the franchise future.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my guess is, if we have a top 5 pick, we will be drafting our next blind side tackle, or a star WR to fill AJ Green's roll.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown puts a high priority on QBs.

I remember Dave Lapham discussing on a talk show that the word around the organization was that "Akili was stupid"

it would have been nice to figure that out after a few conversations, not after going all in on him for the franchise future.
I think I've mentioned this before, but the downfall of Akili was that he stopped caring once he got drafted. It was well known that he would fly to Vegas after Friday's practice and return early Sunday morning. He never studied, and stopped trying once he got paid. There was an article some-time ago with him talking about this - and he fully admits - once he was drafted, he made it and didn't care anymore. I don't think that it was because he was stupid - though, maybe not the brightest - but no matter the case, if you don't prepare and don't care - you can't succeed.

Edit - here is an article where he talks about this - but I can't find the one mentioning Vegas:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've mentioned this before, but the downfall of Akili was that he stopped caring once he got drafted. It was well known that he would fly to Vegas after Friday's practice and return early Sunday morning. He never studied, and stopped trying once he got paid. There was an article some-time ago with him talking about this - and he fully admits - once he was drafted, he made it and didn't care anymore. I don't think that it was because he was stupid - though, maybe not the brightest - but no matter the case, if you don't prepare and don't care - you can't succeed.

Edit - here is an article where he talks about this - but I can't find the one mentioning Vegas:

yea, that's the context I had in mind.

it would have been nice to assess his character with a simple interview process, like you would for hiring anyone in your organization. you can't get a job as a janitor without talking to at least 2 people, but starting QB for the Bengals getting paid millions, you just have to have college tape.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, that's the context I had in mind.

it would have been nice to assess his character with a simple interview process, like you would for hiring anyone in your organization. you can't get a job as a janitor without talking to at least 2 people, but starting QB for the Bengals getting paid millions, you just have to have college tape.
Well, I'm sure they interviewed him at the combine. That's usually what happens.

However, people can put on a good front during interviews. If every person ever hired that had a good interview actually followed through with how they were in the interview, not many people would get fired. People always put their best foot forward in an interview - and in the case, being the #1 pick and millions were on the line.

Not like he was going to tell them "You know, I really don't study tape that much, and this organization has been so terrible for so long that if we keep losing like this, I'll probably spend my time doing other things. After all, I'll already have been paid.

LOL - But, yes, I get your point. If only they could have known - but that could go for so many different players. Ryan Leaf would be a great example.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a low Wonderlic (16), but not Vince Young (6) low.... And this was still before the draft was what it became, so I'm guessing prospects didn't really study for the test back then. I'm assuming that prospects now start preparing for the exam a year in advance.... So, if they blow it now, they likely have some serious learning deficits or just don't care.

Akili was just an example of what happens when you put a young man in the wrong culture. Those late 90 teams had no fucks to give.... LeBeau had a hell of a defensive mind, but either didn't have the control needed over personnel to enact change, or was just incapable of making change. No matter how we all feel about Marvin, he unquestionably changed the culture around the franchise. Guys on his team were rarely out of shape (until his last few years) and they played for him.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other Marvin comment..... The one thing he was good at doing was adding his "people" to the roster. Normally a handful of players that he trusted and would keep the culture intact. Reggie Kelly, John Thornton, Chris Crocker, and Domata Peko come to mind. Not always the best players, but good lockeroom police.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other Marvin comment..... The one thing he was good at doing was adding his "people" to the roster. Normally a handful of players that he trusted and would keep the culture intact. Reggie Kelly, John Thornton, Chris Crocker, and Domata Peko come to mind. Not always the best players, but good lockeroom police.
Marvin gets a lot of flack for not wining in the playoffs, and that is something he does deserve. That being said, you are absolutely correct in that he was able to come in and do what no other coach before him did - have some say in what he did. While Brown always has the last word, Marvin was one of the first to actually ever listen to him. None before him could do it. Marvin brought the Bengals into the modern NFL despite its owner.

Marvin to me would have won more games, and maybe even a playoff if he had more say in the roster. I think things would be different, but in the end, if the owner doesn't want to spend money to retain guys, or get good F/A's - then the coach is left holding the bag. Marvin did a lot of smoke and mirrors in some years to get this team to compete, but when it came time for those teams to face reality - the smoke usually went poof.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin gets a lot of flack for not wining in the playoffs, and that is something he does deserve. That being said, you are absolutely correct in that he was able to come in and do what no other coach before him did - have some say in what he did. While Brown always has the last word, Marvin was one of the first to actually ever listen to him. None before him could do it. Marvin brought the Bengals into the modern NFL despite its owner.

Marvin to me would have won more games, and maybe even a playoff if he had more say in the roster. I think things would be different, but in the end, if the owner doesn't want to spend money to retain guys, or get good F/A's - then the coach is left holding the bag. Marvin did a lot of smoke and mirrors in some years to get this team to compete, but when it came time for those teams to face reality - the smoke usually went poof.
Lack of personnel hurt Marvin sometimes. No doubt. Injuries to the QB also killed him twice (2005 and 2015). I also thought he was a poor gameday coach... I often felt the same way about Andy Reid (though picking up multiple championships will make people forget all those playoff eggs). Weird clock management decisions, look of shock when things go wrong, etc. Marvin seemed like a guy that was better during the week and in the offseason.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Marvin. he simply just got Bengalized. once Mike Brown got comfortable telling him the way it is, he had to go.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of personnel hurt Marvin sometimes. No doubt. Injuries to the QB also killed him twice (2005 and 2015). I also thought he was a poor gameday coach... I often felt the same way about Andy Reid (though picking up multiple championships will make people forget all those playoff eggs). Weird clock management decisions, look of shock when things go wrong, etc. Marvin seemed like a guy that was better during the week and in the offseason.
Agreed. 2005 and 2015 the teams were good enough to overcome Marvin's odd penchants for clock management, and other things.

The rest of the time - he looked lost. I think he would make a solid GM or assistant GM if he ever chooses to get into the front office somewhere. I think, overall, his eye for talent was always good. Just not always utilized thanks to Browns penchant for wanting things he wanted contrary to what was actually needed.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. 2005 and 2015 the teams were good enough to overcome Marvin's odd penchants for clock management, and other things.

The rest of the time - he looked lost. I think he would make a solid GM or assistant GM if he ever chooses to get into the front office somewhere. I think, overall, his eye for talent was always good. Just not always utilized thanks to Browns penchant for wanting things he wanted contrary to what was actually needed.

Marvin was known for being one of the best linebacker coaches and defensive minds in the NFL... before coming here and becoming a laughing stock of course.