• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This team's greatest weakness

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have Robert Ayers in coverage Im sorry thats not going to work unless thee is pressure on the QB.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the OL. That is the biggest weakness.

The biggest problem with this team right now is the OL. It finally came up and bit the Broncos. We cannot as fans assume that losing the 3 best OLinemen would not hurt. It will and it will again. It effected the short yardage offense as well as causing the fumble on Manning.

I totally agree with this. Last night, all of the injuries on the offensive line finally caught up to us. The Colts were coming hard and the line couldn't hold up. Clark especially had a bad night, and it showed why we gave Clady the big bucks.

I'm hoping that, minus Clady of course, we can get this line back to full health. I think last night showed that Franklin is our second best offensive lineman.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You both have valid arguments. However, here's a question to pose: If our defense wasn't having problems, wouldn't it make sense that SOME of those scores on turnovers would be mitigated to FG's? Holliday had a viscious strip. But last season that was less likely to become a TD than it is this season. Something changed. (And no, it isn't Dumervil). I'm wondering if Del Rio's system is compromised. What if opposing offenses have figured out what he's trying to do? Would explain a lot.....

Sure the defense could be better and I think Del Rio needs to seriously make some mid season adjustments.

But, if you go 3 and out 8 times and turn the ball over 3 -4 times, you are putting your defense's back up against the wall too many times.

Turnovers also shift momentum, a brutal combo on the road.

Point is, mistakes on all 3 phases need to be reduced. When the offense is doing what it is capable of, the defense just has to be good. Not great.

Special teams needs to limit the mistakes as well, especially Holliday running kicks and punts out when he should not and starting the offense on the 5-15 yard line. It's feast or famine with Trindon. He might just break one loose, but he also fumbles more than your average return guy. My uncle told me, when you are deep in your own territory for a punt, you put your heel on the 10. If you have to back up to catch the ball, just let it go and run forward and hit the gunner.

And he needs to take a knee in the end zone when the situation dictates it on Kick returns.

We get a little better across the board and limit the mistakes, we win that game last night just like we won the last 17 regular season games.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with this. Last night, all of the injuries on the offensive line finally caught up to us. The Colts were coming hard and the line couldn't hold up. Clark especially had a bad night, and it showed why we gave Clady the big bucks.

I'm hoping that, minus Clady of course, we can get this line back to full health. I think last night showed that Franklin is our second best offensive lineman.

And Vasquez is a better Guard than Tackle and Kuper is not back to form yet. Also, Ramirez got exposed without Vaquez at RG.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN comments on the Broncos in their weekly power rankings:

"Fumbling may be the Broncos' biggest weakness."

Power rankings themselves are pretty subjective, but that statement is as close to factual as one can be.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Power rankings themselves are pretty subjective, but that statement is as close to factual as one can be.

which begs the question, what are the Donks gonna do with Hillman after this season. even Terrell Davis touched on it on NFL network a tad this morning. he believes the guy's VERY talented, but these fumbles are more than just a small issue...

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like I mentioned though. The one fumble by Manning is directly related to Mathis blind siding him, and the penetration on the line that caused the fumble on Hillman. Yes, Hillman already has fumble problems, but watch that play.

There is a thing that is called CAUSED FUMBLES. Sometimes, it is not about the fumbler, but the defense causing it. A well placed hit etc and it is really about the defensive play.

Holliday on the other hand left that ball on the inside hand, which if all you do is return kicks, you ought to know which hand to carry the ball.

Yes, fumbling is a problem, but in Sunday's game, of the 3 fumbles (and 1 int which was also basically a fumble) all but one can be directly related to the lack of blocking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the penetration on the line that caused the fumble on Hillman. Yes, Hillman already has fumble problems, but watch that play.

There is a thing that is called CAUSED FUMBLES. Sometimes, it is not about the fumbler, but the defense causing it. A well placed hit etc and it is really about the defensive play.

I can see the Manning fumble being all defense but the Hillman fumble is a bit of a stretch. The defense penetrating the Oline is not uncommon but not every ball carrier fumbles. The broncos D gets into the backfield all the time. Good ball carriers are able to protect it quickly and know the lines is a rough place for them.

Generally, we have had issues even beyond Sunday's game. The center QB exchange caused a couple fumbles against the Jags. Hillman and Ball have been targeted, because they are known fumblers.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Manning fumble being all defense but the Hillman fumble is a bit of a stretch. The defense penetrating the Oline is not uncommon but not every ball carrier fumbles. The broncos D gets into the backfield all the time. Good ball carriers are able to protect it quickly and know the lines is a rough place for them.

Generally, we have had issues even beyond Sunday's game. The center QB exchange caused a couple fumbles against the Jags. Hillman and Ball have been targeted, because they are known fumblers.

I agree with this. You can cite the O-line for some of the problem, but they are not the ones who have made Ball, Hillman, Decker or Holliday fumble. I think the funneling can be fixed, but it is going to take some serious mental preparation because as you said, the team has developed a rep for fumbling and as a result opponents will target our players for strips. It is going to take wrapping up the ball and being willing to go down instead of fighting for an extra yard and losing the ball as a result.