• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This sucks

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck would the Big Ten want Maryland and Rutgers?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The markets.

Maryland has the DC and Baltimore markets and Rutgers have NYC market.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people in NYC watch college football?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good football move. Those teams suck!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people in NYC watch college football?

Nah...just baseball. I look at and say, more teams to beat up on, but it wont help case of conference being more legit! Maryland sucks in ACC and Rutgers...well look at their schedule---talk about cupcakes.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 22 million people in the NYC metro area, almost 6 million in the DC metro area. Even if the BTN only gains 3% of that population by lowering subscriber rates in the region and generating interest in an expanded conference that includes Maryland and Rutgers, you're still talking about 760,000 new subscribers. That isn't even including the rest of New Jersey and Maryland.

I may not like it, but it isn't as dumb as people are making it out to be.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly a revenue move.

The B1G just got their footprint into the #1 and #4 tv markets in the country.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah...just baseball. I look at and say, more teams to beat up on, but it wont help case of conference being more legit! Maryland sucks in ACC and Rutgers...well look at their schedule---talk about cupcakes.

just baseball?? ever heard of the knicks giants jets rangers devils?? the big east was king here when basketball mattered. now that they have watered it down with western also rans i can see the nyc market get behind the big ten very easily.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The markets.

Maryland has the DC and Baltimore markets and Rutgers have NYC market.

For the billionth time... no they don't.

Nobody in NYC gives a shit about Rutgers football. Nobody that's from NYC really gives a shit about college football period. They watch the national championship game, or something like Alabama vs. LSU last year, like we would watch the World Cup or Man U vs. Real Madrid... it's a novelty. The people that pack bars to watch games on Saturdays are, like me, transplants.

yes, lots of alums of big schools.
Exactly.

Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Texas have more fans in NYC than Rutgers. Probably schools like Florida, Wisconsin or Michigan State too.

(note: most SEC fans either go to DC/Atlanta after college, or their degrees are not good enough to get them jobs that pay enough to afford Manhattan... sorry but it's true)

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so fucking retarded.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time I checked, Maryland and New Jersey have a lot of football talent. I can think of a certain running back that you might have heard of from New Jersey. It's not a good enough reason to bring them into the conference, but there's worse things than allowing NJ and MD recruits a chance to see us every year.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all about the Big Ten Network. These areas don't have to have Rutgers or Maryland fans (which depsite what is being said they do). They become a part of the Big Ten footprint which up until this point has meant that cable companies within this footprint offer BTN in their regular tiered programming. This means millions more viewers.

Think about it now, BTN will get paid for each of these subscribers regardless of whether they are watching or not. And it will bring in more viewers. These viewers don't have to just watch Rutgers football. The entire BTN programming is available to them, not just Rutgers.

And if you want to watch Maryland basketball now where will you have to go? BTN.

Delaney just exponentially increased the profits of the most profitable conference tv network in existance. And inevitably there will be two more teams. Delaney is guaranteeing our presence on the east coast.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(note: most SEC fans either go to DC/Atlanta after college, or their degrees are not good enough to get them jobs that pay enough to afford Manhattan... sorry but it's true)

There is so much fail in this statement. If you really believe this, you are fucking brain dead....

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically for Rutgers/Maryland and northeast sports fans in general, the product just got a lot better. I can understand limited interest in Rutgers vs Uconn in football, but now it's Rutgers vs B1G teams which have more appeal and exposure in the msm.

Getting the #1 and #4 tv markets in the country was a huge move by Delaney and will be a key part of his legacy when he steps down.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All they have to do is lump BTN with YES(yankees) in some sports package, and NYC becomes a cash crop. Like everyone keeps pointing out, there are a ton of B1G alumni in NYC anyway. I know that Chicagolanders and Coasties make up a pretty significant minority of Wisconsin students. Rutgers brings the regional excuse that providers need, but the B1G is already a brand on the east coast.

Next step...get Virginia Tech. Make sure BTN is lumped in with the NFL Network and you're golden. Just like NYC, there are a lot of B1G fans there.

Next step...get Notre Dame. You just made every TV market in the country an option.

I'm sure Mike Slive knows the strategy by now, so I'm not giving away any secrets here. It's the obvious money move for the B1G, just like snagging FSU and VT would be the obvious money move for the SEC unless they can land Texas and Oklahoma, or all 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I would expect Rutgers' conference home games to sell out. Penn State fans from Philly will have an easy road game to attend for once. I would think some of the various B1G fans in NYC will show up. Even some of the girls I graduated HS with who are out there now, who aren't huge football fans, will probably go just to get a taste of home.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much fail in this statement. If you really believe this, you are fucking brain dead....
That was mostly a joke. But you don't see a lot of SEC fans in NYC except for Florida, or the occasional Bama fan (probably bandwagon), compared to the Big Ten schools.

If you guys don't believe me, read this from Nate Silver. He was right about the election and he's right about college football expansion:

Expanding Eastward Could Dilute Big Ten Brand - NYTimes.com