• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is wear mlb needs to be

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pitcher has the green light to shake off his catcher (in college, often the pitching coach just calls the game through the catcher and there is no shaking off). This would take a lifetime to get the signs straight. Catcher would have to stop, reprogram the alternative sign, and keep going back and forth with the pitcher until they finally agree on one.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pitcher has the green light to shake off his catcher (in college, often the pitching coach just calls the game through the catcher and there is no shaking off). This would take a lifetime to get the signs straight. Catcher would have to stop, reprogram the alternative sign, and keep going back and forth with the pitcher until they finally agree on one.
If the pitcher has the green light to shake off the catcher he could just tell the catcher what he is going to throw. (using the device)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pitcher has the green light to shake off the catcher he could just tell the catcher what he is going to throw. (using the device)
And then the catcher doesn't like it - creating the same issue. There's no way this doesn't end with pitchers/catchers having a back and forth over a smart watch on the field. Increasing the amount of time between pitches and also timeouts called by batters/catchers.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then the catcher doesn't like it - creating the same issue. There's no way this doesn't end with pitchers/catchers having a back and forth over a smart watch on the field. Increasing the amount of time between pitches and also timeouts called by batters/catchers.
This doesn’t happen if the college kids are trusted with calling their own pitches.

I don’t like it either way ftr.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn’t happen if the college kids are trusted with calling their own pitches.

I mean, if you can have a total and complete agreement. That the pitching coach or catcher (whichever one doesn't really matter) has complete control over the pitch selection and the pitcher is merely there to receive the signal and throw said pitch. Then, yeah, it can work. I just think that, inevitably, it won't with a good chunk of teams. Then, you'll have what I described.

There's probably no perfect way to go about it anymore. Therefore, IMO, you should just do the best you can with the finger signals and keep technology out of it.

I could very well prove to be wrong, though, and when I'm talking to my grandchildren decades from now. I'll be the old fart explaining to them how "When I caught, I used to relay the signals with my fingers. That was when the game was real! There was an art form to it. A whole other aspect of the game was trying to disguise your signs and pickup on the other teams signs. Today with all your fancy technology, you just take all of the nuances out of the game! Damn shame! I played the game when it was real!".

Then, I'll look up, remember I don't have grandchildren, snap back into it, take a sip of whiskey, and watch the Bears QB of the 2070's throw a pick six. Have a heart attack and fall dead in my Cade McNown jersey. Never having seen a Super Bowl title.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just have the pitcher talk into the watch like Michael Knight talking to KITT?

That would be cool

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pitcher has the green light to change it then there is no need for the catcher to do anything if he doesn't like it. They have a limited number of pitches. It's not like the pitcher is going to say fastball and then the catcher is going to say, curveball then the pitcher is going to say "good idea, I didn't think of that".

But seriously, I have complete confidence that if they will be able to develop the technology to the point where it speeds up rather than slows down the game.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if you can have a total and complete agreement. That the pitching coach or catcher (whichever one doesn't really matter) has complete control over the pitch selection and the pitcher is merely there to receive the signal and throw said pitch. Then, yeah, it can work. I just think that, inevitably, it won't with a good chunk of teams. Then, you'll have what I described.

There's probably no perfect way to go about it anymore. Therefore, IMO, you should just do the best you can with the finger signals and keep technology out of it.

I could very well prove to be wrong, though, and when I'm talking to my grandchildren decades from now. I'll be the old fart explaining to them how "When I caught, I used to relay the signals with my fingers. That was when the game was real! There was an art form to it. A whole other aspect of the game was trying to disguise your signs and pickup on the other teams signs. Today with all your fancy technology, you just take all of the nuances out of the game! Damn shame! I played the game when it was real!".

Then, I'll look up, remember I don't have grandchildren, snap back into it, take a sip of whiskey, and watch the Bears QB of the 2070's throw a pick six. Have a heart attack and fall dead in my Cade McNown jersey. Never having seen a Super Bowl title.
At least you'll still be alive in 2070. I'll be a frozen head on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously, why the fuck are they continuously trying to ruin the game with this type of bullshit. I saw you say somewhere else that you won't watch baseball if they bring in robot umpires. Do you mean that? I mean, I hate the fucking idea just as much as anyone else, but I think it would be hard to just give baseball/the Phillies up entirely. It's basically been apart of my entire life.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next to the Splendid Splinter…..
I was going to say that but I thought I read somewhere that they screwed up and let him melt or something.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this... You can only throw fastballs right down the middle... No other pitches can be throw.. Yeah, that sounds like a GREAT IDEA!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i case you couldn't tell.. I don't give a DAMN about the pace of play! WHY change it? You mean you want to go to a game spend well over $100 bucks and be in the stadium for an hour... F that!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, why the fuck are they continuously trying to ruin the game with this type of bullshit. I saw you say somewhere else that you won't watch baseball if they bring in robot umpires. Do you mean that? I mean, I hate the fucking idea just as much as anyone else, but I think it would be hard to just give baseball/the Phillies up entirely. It's basically been apart of my entire life.
This particular idea is one that I don't have a problem with. I'm assuming they will eventually come up with a way to make it easy enough to transmit the signs where it saves time rather than wastes it. And it should make it much harder to steal signs, which a lot of people think is cheating.
But like I said, they obviously will need to make improvements. No one wants to see 50 year old Jamie Moyer have to pull out his reading glasses every time the catcher or manager sends something.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This particular idea is one that I don't have a problem with. I'm assuming they will eventually come up with a way to make it easy enough to transmit the signs where it saves time rather than wastes it. And it should make it much harder to steal signs, which a lot of people think is cheating.
But like I said, they obviously will need to make improvements. No one wants to see 50 year old Jamie Moyer have to pull out his reading glasses every time the catcher or manager sends something.

Why should everyone know what pitch is coming? How does that speed up the game if the CF knows a curveball is coming?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not knowing (as a hitter) which pitch is coming and not knowing where the ball is likely to go (fielder) is all part of the game..

So having the entire defense know the pitch and move to a position is going to prevent the offense from knowing which pitch is coming? Couldn't they somewhat deduce what is coming based upon the defensive line-up?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not knowing (as a hitter) which pitch is coming and not knowing where the ball is likely to go (fielder) is all part of the game..

So having the entire defense know the pitch and move to a position is going to prevent the offense from knowing which pitch is coming? Couldn't they somewhat deduce what is coming based upon the defensive line-up?
Yeah I agree you would think the hitter could kind of figure out the pitch based on where the defense is playing. But in theory using something like this should eliminate what the Astros were doing.