• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Forum

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are almost half way through the season .... thought I'd share my thoughts about our family (we are sort of a family) as the season moves on ...

We are a small but a rather active community. We are 'alive'. There is always some sort of daily postings about something. There are some very very different personalities in our community and that is our life blood. It's this element of not agreeing about everything that makes us a really great community. We are a small but very diverse community ... on one end of the spectrum we have TZILL. TZILL lives in the moment! He bleeds and rejoices with each and every play in the damn game. He can always supply the community with a full analysis of why we won or lost a game. He tends to take losses with some degree of difficulty. His emotions sometimes get the better of him but he is an essential element of our community. We wouldn't be the same without him. On the other end of the spectrum is MSG. MSG recognizes the moment but also has a clear understanding that there will always be a tomorrow. A loss is never the 'end'. It's just a loss and there will always be a tomorrow. As a community we also need his presence. As A community we need to both see and feel the very ends of what fandom really is. For me personally, both TZILL and MSG define the scope of our community and are critical to our well being.

I also feel that the team it self is a critical component for our community. We need something to 'root' for and our Giants give us that and a host of our things as well. Again, IMHO, the Giants are a middle of the pack team. We will not win 100 games nor will we lose a 100 games. We will always be close to a .500 level team for this entire year. But for me .... THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS COMMINITY SPECIAL!!!!!! If you are a Dodger fan what the hell do you talk about in a forum other than who you expect to play in the playoffs. As a Dodger fan you'll never feel the tension of the game by game schedule until you reach the playoff and losses really matter. We will feel that tension for the next 81 games or so! These games will determine if we even reach the playoffs. It is this tension that keeps our community alive. It is this tension that makes us a family. We all share a common goal and watch the results unfold before us on a daily basis. TZILL always reminds us of the daily outcome (good or bad) while it is MSG that reminds us there is always a tomorrow no matter how good or how bad we just played! They are both needed for our survival as a community.

The rest of us are mostly in the middle. We all seem to feel the pain of a loss but also realize that the season is not over quite yet. The next 81 games or so are going to be fun and probably quite stressful. Some of us tend to be more vocal than others while some us us sit in the background and just go with the flow.

I'm personally very happy to have a community like this. Not sure how inclined I'd be to actually follow baseball with out this community .......
So ...... what I really mean to say is ..... thank you all .....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are almost half way through the season .... thought I'd share my thoughts about our family (we are sort of a family) as the season moves on ...

We are a small but a rather active community. We are 'alive'. There is always some sort of daily postings about something. There are some very very different personalities in our community and that is our life blood. It's this element of not agreeing about everything that makes us a really great community. We are a small but very diverse community ... on one end of the spectrum we have TZILL. TZILL lives in the moment! He bleeds and rejoices with each and every play in the damn game. He can always supply the community with a full analysis of why we won or lost a game. He tends to take losses with some degree of difficulty. His emotions sometimes get the better of him but he is an essential element of our community. We wouldn't be the same without him. On the other end of the spectrum is MSG. MSG recognizes the moment but also has a clear understanding that there will always be a tomorrow. A loss is never the 'end'. It's just a loss and there will always be a tomorrow. As a community we also need his presence. As A community we need to both see and feel the very ends of what fandom really is. For me personally, both TZILL and MSG define the scope of our community and are critical to our well being.

I also feel that the team it self is a critical component for our community. We need something to 'root' for and our Giants give us that and a host of our things as well. Again, IMHO, the Giants are a middle of the pack team. We will not win 100 games nor will we lose a 100 games. We will always be close to a .500 level team for this entire year. But for me .... THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS COMMINITY SPECIAL!!!!!! If you are a Dodger fan what the hell do you talk about in a forum other than who you expect to play in the playoffs. As a Dodger fan you'll never feel the tension of the game by game schedule until you reach the playoff and losses really matter. We will feel that tension for the next 81 games or so! These games will determine if we even reach the playoffs. It is this tension that keeps our community alive. It is this tension that makes us a family. We all share a common goal and watch the results unfold before us on a daily basis. TZILL always reminds us of the daily outcome (good or bad) while it is MSG that reminds us there is always a tomorrow no matter how good or how bad we just played! They are both needed for our survival as a community.

The rest of us are mostly in the middle. We all seem to feel the pain of a loss but also realize that the season is not over quite yet. The next 81 games or so are going to be fun and probably quite stressful. Some of us tend to be more vocal than others while some us us sit in the background and just go with the flow.

I'm personally very happy to have a community like this. Not sure how inclined I'd be to actually follow baseball with out this community .......
mean girls thats beautiful GIF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So glad to have you here, man. You bring a very unique perspective that none of us have. I for one, am very glad you decided to come back

:yo:

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad to have you here, man. You bring a very unique perspective that none of us have. I for one, am very glad you decided to come back

:yo:
I'm the one that is thankful. I've been a displaced a Giant fan since 1958 (12 years old) Most people don't understand or appreciate the magnitude of what happens when your team just "leaves'. Much worse than seeing your favorite player traded. As a 12 year old it was hard trying to follow a team 3000 miles away. No more TV or radio broadcasrs. All you really had left was the newspapers..
Fotums have aleays been myifeline to the Giants. Been part of quite a few of them. Most aren't worth rememberkng. This one is special. This is the only that has made me like I'm part of something much bigger than just me ...

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the one that is thankful. I've been a displaced a Giant fan since 1958 (12 years old) Most people don't understand or appreciate the magnitude of what happens when your team just "leaves'. Much worse than seeing your favorite player traded. As a 12 year old it was hard trying to follow a team 3000 miles away. No more TV or radio broadcasrs. All you really had left was the newspapers..
Fotums have aleays been myifeline to the Giants. Been part of quite a few of them. Most aren't worth rememberkng. This one is special. This is the only that has made me like I'm part of something much bigger than just me ...
Most of us almost experienced it twice when Labatts was going to buy the team and take it to Canada and then the almost move to St Pete. The team was so bad at that time and there was so little fan interest that it seemed like a done deal both times
We would have missed the three titles though. Something that none of us who were fans in the 70s would ever have thought possible

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us almost experienced it twice when Labatts was going to buy the team and take it to Canada and then the almost move to St Pete. The team was so bad at that time and there was so little fan interest that it seemed like a done deal both times
We would have missed the three titles though. Something that none of us who were fans in the 70s would ever have thought possible
If a major event like that had happened I doubt they get the 3 titles. Barry Bonds would not have signed there either.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel something similar, but from a different perspective. The team didn't move away, I did. Granted, I never lived anywhere closer than about 2.5 hours from Candlestick but growing up in Fresno, there were plenty of Giants' fans. When I moved south for college, got married and settled in Orange County, I didn't have anything to talk Giants' baseball with me. Angels' fans shared a common dislike of the Dodgers but that was the closest it came to friends who could talk some commonality about baseball beyond just the game itself. Occasionally, I'd see someone wearing a Giants' hat, jersey or jacket and we'd exchange pleasantries, but we never sat down and talked for hours about the farm or the underperformers or about Bonds from the team fan perspective. So when I signed up for fantasy baseball in 2008 on the ESPN website (I had heard it was better than MLB's fantasy set up) and stumbled upon the team forums I got sucked in. Now, moving to Tennessee, I will be shocked to find anyone who is a fan of any California teams. I appreciate the fact that you all put up with me and allow me an outlet to express my Giants' fandom.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, I am VERY tempted to pin this thread…

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M
While I understand your position I also think that there are some points that we not quite on the same page for ..... as a young kid when the Giants (or any team) moves there is really no such thing as fan interest. As a youngster your fandom is never quite in question. The Giants could have lost a 100 games and I still would have got myself to the ballpark and spent the day screaming and following their every play. I think a kid's allegiance and interest to their team is very much unquestionable. But I also think that this aspect can change as we grow older. BUT ... for us (this forum) to be here regularly, for almost every damn game .... pretty much says that we haven't lost interest .... maybe we are all somewhat still the kids we were many years ago ...
Lastly ...... to 'almost experience' something is really a unique way of saying .... 'it never actually happened'. IMHO you will never really feel the impact of something until it actually happens. Thinking about 'pain' is not quite the same as actually experiencing it ...

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel something similar, but from a different perspective. The team didn't move away, I did. Granted, I never lived anywhere closer than about 2.5 hours from Candlestick but growing up in Fresno, there were plenty of Giants' fans. When I moved south for college, got married and settled in Orange County, I didn't have anything to talk Giants' baseball with me. Angels' fans shared a common dislike of the Dodgers but that was the closest it came to friends who could talk some commonality about baseball beyond just the game itself. Occasionally, I'd see someone wearing a Giants' hat, jersey or jacket and we'd exchange pleasantries, but we never sat down and talked for hours about the farm or the underperformers or about Bonds from the team fan perspective. So when I signed up for fantasy baseball in 2008 on the ESPN website (I had heard it was better than MLB's fantasy set up) and stumbled upon the team forums I got sucked in. Now, moving to Tennessee, I will be shocked to find anyone who is a fan of any California teams. I appreciate the fact that you all put up with me and allow me an outlet to express my Giants' fandom.
Exactly ..... same set of emotional triggers but from a different perspective. IMHO ... your move is more complex than just 'a team moving'. A move to another city, state, or country is actually a move away from life as you know it. It often involves people other than just yourself. When a family relocates to another location, the effects are quite different for almost all of the family members. Sports is not the only aspect that will be effected. For me personally .... when ever we moved to another location it was ALWAYS much more of a challenge to the kids in the family then the parents. As a kid I hated moving. Never could understand why we had to move to begin with. Lost all my friends and everything familiar to me. Wasn't till much later in life that I realized that there are valid reasons why families have to relocate. Not an easy road ....

I'm a life long Giant fan (1954 for my first game attendance) ... I now reside in Nova Scotia, CA ... not many (any) Giant fans here. Not many baseball fans in general. This is actually NHL territory. Everything revolves around hockey. Not much little league baseball but a lot of junior hockey! This forum provides displaced Giant fans (like me) with a great place to meet and talk about what we all love ..... Giant's baseball ....

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M

While I understand your position I also think that there are some points that we not quite on the same page for ..... as a young kid when the Giants (or any team) moves there is really no such thing as fan interest. As a youngster your fandom is never quite in question. The Giants could have lost a 100 games and I still would have got myself to the ballpark and spent the day screaming and following their every play. I think a kid's allegiance and interest to their team is very much unquestionable. But I also think that this aspect can change as we grow older. BUT ... for us (this forum) to be here regularly, for almost every damn game .... pretty much says that we haven't lost interest .... maybe we are all somewhat still the kids we were many years ago ...
Lastly ...... to 'almost experience' something is really a unique way of saying .... 'it never actually happened'. IMHO you will never really feel the impact of something until it actually happens. Thinking about 'pain' is not quite the same as actually experiencing it ...
Agreed. It would have been really strange not to have the Giants around for the entire summer. Baseball was such a huge part of the joy of each summer as a kid being out of school. Would not have been the same

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on several sports forums that were engaging and ultimately imploded (golf, cfb,...) and their downfall was usually a poster or two who were relentless in injecting politics, personal, or regional insults, until it wasn't worth pulling up the web page. Kudos for the poster's here for keeping it real and interesting without devolving into an internet cesspool meme.

I'm an old guy and it's fun just to be able to sign on in the AM and have insight and banter with fans of a team I care about

Thx to all....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly ..... same set of emotional triggers but from a different perspective. IMHO ... your move is more complex than just 'a team moving'. A move to another city, state, or country is actually a move away from life as you know it. It often involves people other than just yourself. When a family relocates to another location, the effects are quite different for almost all of the family members. Sports is not the only aspect that will be effected. For me personally .... when ever we moved to another location it was ALWAYS much more of a challenge to the kids in the family then the parents. As a kid I hated moving. Never could understand why we had to move to begin with. Lost all my friends and everything familiar to me. Wasn't till much later in life that I realized that there are valid reasons why families have to relocate. Not an easy road ....

I'm a life long Giant fan (1954 for my first game attendance) ... I now reside in Nova Scotia, CA ... not many (any) Giant fans here. Not many baseball fans in general. This is actually NHL territory. Everything revolves around hockey. Not much little league baseball but a lot of junior hockey! This forum provides displaced Giant fans (like me) with a great place to meet and talk about what we all love ..... Giant's baseball ....
FWIW we're taking our 1st trip to Nova Scotia this fall. Looking forward to seeing someplace we've never been :)

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I firmly believe just as you are born with a finger print, you also are assigned a golf handicap and a MLB team. I'm happy mine is the Giants. Not so pleased with my handicap
Glad to hear you are a golfer. There is no better sport for people from 8 to 80