• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Forum Part 2 - Memories

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we are a very diverse community I thought it would be interesting to share some of our oldest memories as they relate to baseball itself ...

My father was the person who introduced me into the world of baseball. He was an avid Giant fan and took me to my first baseball game in the summer of 1954. It all began there ..

But .... I should also have a memory of an event that happened in 1952. I'm positive that my father would have been listening to the Dodger-Giant game that featured the famous Bobby Thompson home run. I'm also sure that he would have been screaming at that time .... but sadly .... no memories of that day or event ..

On weekends my father would take me to the park and we'd have some informal practice. I can clearly remember that I didn't like trying to field anything hit on the ground. This was my first indication of 'not going to be an infielder'. Never really developed 'soft hands' either. Infielders seem to be born with that inherent ability. I would find my way into the outfield. Until I was 12 I played little league ball, CYO ball and whatever else I could find. I now realized that I was really quite fast and could usually rundown anything that was hit in the air. Coaches realized that as well and I would always be placed somewhere in the outfield. To bad I couldn't hit. Guess I was just destined to be a light hitting defensive gem! This profile would follow me through high school and college as well. Not sure if this 'profile' actually helped in the early years (under 12). From what I can remember almost no one ever hit the ball into the outfield. Didn't hit it much at all. Seem to remember lots of walks, strikeouts and infield errors. I actually remember losing a game that was a no hitter! Strange, the things that seem to crawl back into your memories.

But baseball was different then. Didn't know about salaries, team management, the front office, statistics in general. Pitchers pitched full games. Never heard the term middle reliever. I knew all the Giant players by number. Living in NY I hated the Dodgers and the Yankees. These were the days of Mickey (Mantle), Willie (Mays) and the Duke (Snider). I collected baseball cards by anyway possible. I can remember 'flipping matches' for them. I can remember throwing them against a wall. Trying for something called 'a leaner'. I can remember 'hating' the team cards (TOPPS baseball). They were nothing more than a checklist for the current series that was out for sale.

Loved the summer as a Kid!!!! Baseball was everywhere

Just before the Giants moved I can remember going to the Polo Grounds with a group of friends. You could reach all of the baseball parks by local transportation. The baseball parks were different back then. You were allowed to roam to park and change seats without too much hassle. You'd buy a bleacher seat and work your way down towards to box seats. By the 6th or 7th inning no one cared where you sat. Being a kid and sitting almost on the field was akin to magic. You could almost touch the players.

As a kid you never ever gave up on your team. They were never eliminated until the World Series started and they weren't in it. As a youngster, there was always hope, even if it was impossible. There were only two divisions. A National League and an American League. I don't have any recollection of playoffs. Just the world series.

I still remember the Bobby Bonds for Bobby Mercer trade. Hated it, absolutely hated it.

I remember the Giants moving to SF and struggling to keep up with them. I seem to recall that in the early days of the move they would still provide radio coverage for the Giants but the time difference made it hard to follow them. To me it seemed that the older generation let their team ..... just go. I couldn't do that. I just couldn't let go of baseball and my team ..... and here I am 64 years after the move .... in a forum .... sharing baseball stories .... with a lot of people .... just like me ..... ..