• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alaskan King Crab Legs on the grill.

When your crab pot is too small...you go to plan B...about 375-400 indirect heat...a little olive oil on both sides...8 mins flipped then 6 mins on the other side and they turned out perfecto. I would encourage a pair of kitchen shears or a good cracker to work with these, but the meat came out very easily and oh so sweet...dipped in white truffle butter....uhmmmm!!!

thumbnail

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying something new. Cooking a pork butt in the crock pot. Seasoned it with garlic cloves, sea salt, black pepper and red chili flakes. Added chopped onions, apples quartered and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, apple juice, and brown sugar on top.

Thinking of cooking down some spinach in the juice and adding that to the sandwich.

Don't ask me what's going through my mind.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a new Le Creuset dutch oven a couple of weeks ago and made garlic & red wine braised short ribs. I'm still dreaming of them. They melted off the bone and the sauce seeped perfectly over creamy polenta. Also baked a loaf of french bread in it... it was good, but still need to work on perfecting it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a new Le Creuset dutch oven a couple of weeks ago and made garlic & red wine braised short ribs. I'm still dreaming of them. They melted off the bone and the sauce seeped perfectly over creamy polenta. Also baked a loaf of french bread in it... it was good, but still need to work on perfecting it.

We've got a 4 pc LeCreuset set...and a Staub grill pan...the grill pan is not coated inside so it's a bit hard to clean, but the seasoned cast iron is a great cooking surface....the ribs sound delicious!

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got a 4 pc LeCreuset set...and a Staub grill pan...the grill pan is not coated inside so it's a bit hard to clean, but the seasoned cast iron is a great cooking surface....the ribs sound delicious!
The Le Creuset is amazing! I got the best deal on it, too so that makes it even better!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Le Creuset is amazing! I got the best deal on it, too so that makes it even better!

IDk if we got great deal on our set...the wife feels like we did...bought ours at the Williams -Sonoma Outlet store and she got a close out color...Bone

Enamel coated cast iron has been around a long time but just starting to take hold over here...we were in Paris earlier this summer and the prices of LeCreuset and Staub are considerably lower over there.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDk if we got great deal on our set...the wife feels like we did...bought ours at the Williams -Sonoma Outlet store and she got a close out color...Bone

Enamel coated cast iron has been around a long time but just starting to take hold over here...we were in Paris earlier this summer and the prices of LeCreuset and Staub are considerably lower over there.
Srsly? I'm going to Paris next week. But that shit will be so heavy to bring back, I'll go over my baggage limits! Wonder if I could have it shipped. :think: The one I got was the 7.25 quart. It's matte black and it was a display at Crate & Barrel, so normally $380 and I got it for $189. I kept asking the saleslady what was wrong with it :laugh: Plus, I had a $260 credit I had to spend for buying $2,600 of furniture a couple months ago so it's kinda like I got it for nothing!

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20181115_160725.jpg 20181115_173835.jpg

Got some pork belly from a friend that killed a 300 pounder the other day, along with sausage and a rack of ribs. First time cooking pork belly and I'll definitely look to add it to my repertoire in the future. Need to figure out which local grocery butcher I can get some from.

Smoked at 250 with apple wood for 3 hours, then braised for another hour with bbq sauce, honey, and butter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Srsly? I'm going to Paris next week. But that shit will be so heavy to bring back, I'll go over my baggage limits! Wonder if I could have it shipped. :think: The one I got was the 7.25 quart. It's matte black and it was a display at Crate & Barrel, so normally $380 and I got it for $189. I kept asking the saleslady what was wrong with it :laugh: Plus, I had a $260 credit I had to spend for buying $2,600 of furniture a couple months ago so it's kinda like I got it for nothing!

Congrats on the trip!...it was our 1st time in Europe (30th anniversary) and we had a blast. The good thing about going now...the crowds will be much thinner. We had the skip the line tours so it didn't matter that much but most of the tours we did...the wait times were an hour +.

Yeah, the shipping might eat up most of what you save with buying cast iron cookware over there. We bought a Chanel handbag for the wife over there and we thought it was well worth it...the savings was about 30% less than buying the same purse here. That savings paid for our flights pretty much.

You stole that Dutch Oven!! Great deal there for sure.

I think we paid like $380 for the 4 pcs and the Staub grill pan was a $100..They will close out certain colors from time to time and that's normally a good time to buy...I see white, but the off white bone you don't see much anymore...I think that's why we got a decent price.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 190901 View attachment 190903

Got some pork belly from a friend that killed a 300 pounder the other day, along with sausage and a rack of ribs. First time cooking pork belly and I'll definitely look to add it to my repertoire in the future. Need to figure out which local grocery butcher I can get some from.

Smoked at 250 with apple wood for 3 hours, then braised for another hour with bbq sauce, honey, and butter.

Had a lot of the pig in my years, but never had pork belly...that in bold was enough to convince me it's good!

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 190901 View attachment 190903

I've gotten slabs from costco, if you're into that. They usually sell it in slabs or thick strips.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a lot of the pig in my years, but never had pork belly...that in bold was enough to convince me it's good!

Definitely came out great. Only thing for the next time would be to trim it up a little better, as I was in a little rush to prep. I did a quick cube and slice off of the skin, but I could've made them more consistent.

You should give it a try. Just slice off the skin and cube to about 2 inches a side. Add your rub and place them on a wire rack for 3 hours in the smoker. Take about a cup of bbq sauce, 3-4 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of honey to warm in a small sauce pan, then pour over the pork belly cubes in a throw away pan. Wrap with foil and back in the smoker for 60-90 minutes, with the last 15 minutes unwrapped to allow the sauce to tack up a little. Skewed with toothpicks and serve.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gotten slabs from costco, if you're into that. They usually sell it in slabs or thick strips.

Don't like anywhere close to a Costco, but I'll check around some local butchers. I'm sure I'll be able to get my hands on some more.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely came out great. Only thing for the next time would be to trim it up a little better, as I was in a little rush to prep. I did a quick cube and slice off of the skin, but I could've made them more consistent.

You should give it a try. Just slice off the skin and cube to about 2 inches a side. Add your rub and place them on a wire rack for 3 hours in the smoker. Take about a cup of bbq sauce, 3-4 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of honey to warm in a small sauce pan, then pour over the pork belly cubes in a throw away pan. Wrap with foil and back in the smoker for 60-90 minutes, with the last 15 minutes unwrapped to allow the sauce to tack up a little. Skewed with toothpicks and serve.

Thanks...I will look into doing that.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made this last weekend for seven folks for a special occasion. Sous vide/grilled filet, broiled tails. Turned out really well.

101193BF-9064-46FF-812D-3378D637D65C.jpeg

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks good. Love some surf and turf.

I've got some ribs in the smoker now.Will get some pics up when they come out. I've already got some pics of the prep work.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lunch; baked noodles with tomato paste, tomato sauce, steak tips.