• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

There's no stopping them - Eagles sign another

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really disagree but I know the Hoop routine... the Eagles are fucked (no matter what the topic). The are great at structuring contracts. The difference between Dallas and Philly is we don’t give HUGE back loaded contracts to mediocre players like Marion Barber, Roy Williams and Miles Austin. We only backload players who we know will be around and not dead money. Huge difference. The Eagles strategy is nothing like what Dallas used to do.
Stop being a victim and read what I wrote and respond to what I wrote or don't quote me. There's no routine. It's not an "Eagle issue" for any reason other than they are doing it right now. You're whining. And Jackson is not at all a better player than Barber was when he got a big contract from the Cowboys.

You are flat out wrong. Backloading any contract hurts the future to protect the present and kicks the can down the road and that is exactly what Dallas did and what you are doing. Look at Jackson's contract! Of course it's worse with players that are cut or not worth their value later on or get hurt and retire like Romo. But, if the Rams gave Aaron Donald a 2 year $46M contract and structured it so the cap hit was $8M in year one and $38M in year 2 it would be completely asinine even though he'd still be the best payer in the league. You make your mind up about every point based on how it reflects on your team or your previous comments that you've dug your heels in on. You can look back at my comments on backloading contracts on the Cowboy board since I've been here and on ESPN before that and they are always consistent to what I'm saying here and were mostly pertaining to the Cowboys.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe he will get a huge deal.

I believe he will sign a team friendly contract with incentives for staying healthy that will net him a larger salary.
I'm pretty sure you are going to be wrong here, but what you outline would be very smart for Philly to do.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop being a victim and read what I wrote and respond to what I wrote or don't quote me. There's no routine. It's not an "Eagle issue" for any reason other than they are doing it right now. You're whining. And Jackson is not at all a better player than Barber was when he got a big contract from the Cowboys.

You are flat out wrong. Backloading any contract hurts the future to protect the present and kicks the can down the road and that is exactly what Dallas did and what you are doing. Look at Jackson's contract! Of course it's worse with players that are cut or not worth their value later on or get hurt and retire like Romo. But, if the Rams gave Aaron Donald a 2 year $46M contract and structured it so the cap hit was $8M in year one and $38M in year 2 it would be completely asinine even though he'd still be the best payer in the league. You make your mind up about every point based on how it reflects on your team or your previous comments that you've dug your heels in on. You can look back at my comments on backloading contracts on the Cowboy board since I've been here and on ESPN before that and they are always consistent to what I'm saying here and were mostly pertaining to the Cowboys.

How am I being a victim? The Eagles have nothing to do with me. The Eagles have been doing this for a very long time successfully and Dallas hasn’t. Also, the way the Eagles have always structured there contracts is to have less dead money if cut. They will be fine. They have consistently been one of the top teams at managing the cap and won’t be paying Miles Austin 10 million a year when he plays for a different team. I am not “flat out wrong” and you’ll see that in 3, 4, 5 years from now when we are still fine cap wise. We’ve done it this way for over a decade. Last year the SportsHoopla discussion was on how fucked the Eagles are cap wise. Then we sign Brandon Graham, a nice DT, Desean and LBer and a bunch of others including 8.5 million one year deal for Darby, so now it’s... “Wait until later. The Eagles are going to be fucked then”. We will be fine cap wise cause our GM is excellent at cap management... always has been. The only thing Philly has to worry about is nailing draft picks which they haven’t been as good as Dallas at.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I being a victim? The Eagles have nothing to do with me. The Eagles have been doing this for a very long time successfully and Dallas hasn’t. Also, the way the Eagles have always structured there contracts is to have less dead money if cut. They will be fine. They have consistently been one of the top teams at managing the cap and won’t be paying Miles Austin 10 million a year when he plays for a different team. I am not “flat out wrong” and you’ll see that in 3, 4, 5 years from now when we are still fine cap wise. We’ve done it this way for over a decade. Last year the SportsHoopla discussion was on how fucked the Eagles are cap wise. Then we sign Brandon Graham, a nice DT, Desean and LBer and a bunch of others so now it’s... “Wait until later. The Eagles are going to be fucked then”. We will be fine cap wise cause our GM is excellent at cap management... always has been. The only thing Philly has to worry about is nailing draft picks which they haven’t been as good as Dallas at.

Sure, they might be able to clear space again next winter, but that cap hit looms larger each time they do this without cutting loose players or largely sitting out a free agency period. That bill will eventually come due.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, they might be able to clear space again next winter, but that cap hit looms larger each time they do this without cutting loose players or largely sitting out a free agency period. That bill will eventually come due.

We’ve always done this and have always been fine. Howie knows how to manage the cap maybe better then any other GM. It’s been over a decade of doing this and they’ve always been fine. Let’s revisit this in 3 or 4 years and we will see if you’re right or if Howie knows what he’s doing. The one thing that is going to hurt and there’s no escaping is the 30 million/per they have to give Wentz.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ve always done this and have always been fine. Howie knows how to manage the cap maybe better then any other GM. It’s been over a decade of doing this and they’ve always been fine. Let’s revisit this in 3 or 4 years and we will see if you’re right or if Howie knows what he’s doing. The one thing that is going to hurt and there’s no escaping is the 30 million/per they have to give Wentz.

You should probably revisit all those years to see what really happened. Players had to be cut to alleviate those costs.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie is a madman

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I being a victim? The Eagles have nothing to do with me. The Eagles have been doing this for a very long time successfully and Dallas hasn’t. Also, the way the Eagles have always structured there contracts is to have less dead money if cut. They will be fine. They have consistently been one of the top teams at managing the cap and won’t be paying Miles Austin 10 million a year when he plays for a different team. I am not “flat out wrong” and you’ll see that in 3, 4, 5 years from now when we are still fine cap wise. We’ve done it this way for over a decade. Last year the SportsHoopla discussion was on how fucked the Eagles are cap wise. Then we sign Brandon Graham, a nice DT, Desean and LBer and a bunch of others including 8.5 million one year deal for Darby, so now it’s... “Wait until later. The Eagles are going to be fucked then”. We will be fine cap wise cause our GM is excellent at cap management... always has been. The only thing Philly has to worry about is nailing draft picks which they haven’t been as good as Dallas at.
The argument is ALWAYS long term with the cap and NEVER one year. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand the cap or assumes a team won't do some of the things Philly did (and had to), to get under the cap. Any team can restructure contracts, not sign their own FAs and trade guys to free up cap space which is exactly what you did and you mostly do that when you have a cap problem. Only fans that don't understand that think that means they don't have a cap problem. Trust me, there were many in Dallas. "Nets" is still trying to figure out how to get restructure every contract and resign every big free agent. Because you did that That doesn't mean there was not a problem or Jernigan, Hicks and Bennett would be Eagles. They could all help your team. You could still use another DT. Plus you still need a RB and some OL, some more DBs and to sign your draft picks. You will certainly do more spending before this offseason is done and that still won't mean you have a cap problem, because you do. It isn't insurmountable and it isn't going to cripple you, but if you inflate the cap totals 2 or 3 years from now to protect 2019 you may have an issue if Wentz becomes a top QB and gets a huge contract and you should get used to letting guys go because it will become the norm for you. You also have to understand that all cap savings can be rolled into the next year so the goal when you have a big contract on the horizon is to roll savings into those years. You should have done that last year instead of wasting money on some of the guys you signed

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles defense will look like this by November:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument is ALWAYS long term with the cap and NEVER one year. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand the cap or assumes a team won't do some of the things Philly did (and had to), to get under the cap. Any team can restructure contracts, not sign their own FAs and trade guys to free up cap space which is exactly what you did and you mostly do that when you have a cap problem. Only fans that don't understand that think that means they don't have a cap problem. Trust me, there were many in Dallas. "Nets" is still trying to figure out how to get restructure every contract and resign every big free agent. Because you did that That doesn't mean there was not a problem or Jernigan, Hicks and Bennett would be Eagles. They could all help your team. You could still use another DT. Plus you still need a RB and some OL, some more DBs and to sign your draft picks. You will certainly do more spending before this offseason is done and that still won't mean you have a cap problem, because you do. It isn't insurmountable and it isn't going to cripple you, but if you inflate the cap totals 2 or 3 years from now to protect 2019 you may have an issue if Wentz becomes a top QB and gets a huge contract and you should get used to letting guys go because it will become the norm for you. You also have to understand that all cap savings can be rolled into the next year so the goal when you have a big contract on the horizon is to roll savings into those years. You should have done that last year instead of wasting money on some of the guys you signed

One thing I do agree with is it will be difficult to keep the cap in check when you have to give your young QB their big money contract. That is EVERY teams issue not just ours. And Wentz will be getting a huge HUGE deal next offseason. Every team that has given their QB a huge deal have had to let players go.

Jernigan missed most of the season and we have his replacement making more then he was getting. Losing Bennett hurts cause he played really well but there were rumors he wasn’t liked and was bitching about playing time but he will be replaced by a returning DE in Barnett who isn’t 34. So that’s a complete wash. Especially since Bennett was a backup until Barnett got hurt.

Jordan Hicks is a baller but ALWAYS hurt. Sean Lee type of always hurt and he is a huge gamble by AZ. The Eagles almost never give big money deals to LBers. Can’t remember them ever doing that except for Bradham. LBer is a hole.

I don’t think we have a cap problem at all. They’ve been doing this routine for a decade. My issue isn’t with your point it’s with all the people who said we are completely fucked. The only big loss I see is Foles and everyone knew that was coming. No one can pay a backup 20+ million.

To simplify this is... we lost nothing (except Foles). We are in the same shape as last year. But we will have problems when you have to give one guy (Wentz) 30 million per. Any team would have that problem. Dallas will be in the same boat when they sign Dak and a hole bunch of others. We are fine cap wise and always were. We won’t be once we have to sign Wentz.

Another thing Howie does great is getting comp picks. We will be getting some especially since the DT tackle we signed was cut and doesn’t count towards the comp pick formula. The Birds will be just fine as long as they draft well. They desperately need a draft like the Saints had a couple years ago.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I do agree with is it will be difficult to keep the cap in check when you have to give your young QB their big money contract. That is EVERY teams issue not just ours. And Wentz will be getting a huge HUGE deal next offseason. Every team that has given their QB a huge deal have had to let players go.

Jernigan missed most of the season and we have his replacement making more then he was getting. Losing Bennett hurts cause he played really well but there were rumors he wasn’t liked and was bitching about playing time but he will be replaced by a returning DE in Barnett who isn’t 34. So that’s a complete wash. Especially since Bennett was a backup until Barnett got hurt.

Jordan Hicks is a baller but ALWAYS hurt. Sean Lee type of always hurt and he is a huge gamble by AZ. The Eagles almost never give big money deals to LBers. Can’t remember them ever doing that except for Bradham. LBer is a hole.

I don’t think we have a cap problem at all. They’ve been doing this routine for a decade. My issue isn’t with your point it’s with all the people who said we are completely fucked. The only big loss I see is Foles and everyone knew that was coming. No one can pay a backup 20+ million.

To simplify this is... we lost nothing (except Foles). We are in the same shape as last year. But we will have problems when you have to give one guy (Wentz) 30 million per. Any team would have that problem. Dallas will be in the same boat when they sign Dak and a hole bunch of others. We are fine cap wise and always were. We won’t be once we have to sign Wentz.

Another thing Howie does great is getting comp picks. We will be getting some especially since the DT tackle we signed was cut and doesn’t count towards the comp pick formula. The Birds will be just fine as long as they draft well. They desperately need a draft like the Saints had a couple years ago.
Yea it is every teams problem, but the problem with where the Eagles are at right now is they are having those problems and Wentz is still on his rookie deal, hasn't even signed his mega deal yet.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles defense will look like this by November:

We lost one starter. A starter who was always hurt year after year. Go educate yourself before you post completely wrong posts.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it is every teams problem, but the problem with where the Eagles are at right now is they are having those problems and Wentz is still on his rookie deal, hasn't even signed his mega deal yet.

What problems? Dolled out 100 million in contracts during the offseason that we were supposedly “fucked”

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost one starter. A starter who was always hurt year after year. Go educate yourself before you post completely wrong posts.
Only one starter? Which guy?

I guess it depends on what point of the year because you had a lot of turnover.
I would think Tate with a full offseason and Ajayi would be starters if back. Tate is way better than any WR on your roster not named Jeffery and Ajayi was your starter. You had to have lost at least one starter on the DL. You lost Jernigan, Bennett and Ngata and Long is either a FA or may retire, no?. None of them would have started? Hicks? Wasn't Wisniewski also a starter?

Seems like more than one but you would know better than me.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What problems? Dolled out 100 million in contracts during the offseason that we were supposedly “fucked”
What problems? Well most of the time when teams are handing out their QB big contracts they have problems later. The Eagles are going to have to clear room before signing their QB. Also I never said the Eagles were fucked, dont put words in my mouth.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong as usual.
1. You always play the victim card and nothing has changed here.
2. Sorry ONE SB in 50 years is not doing it successfully.
3. Your GM has been kicking the cap can down the road without having to pay a top QB salary. You will see this soon, FA tag or long term it's going to be felt.
4. You got this right. Your same "genius" GM is terrible at evaluating talent and drafting.