• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The way it used to be...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf: It's kind of obvious why FCS teams play games with teams like Alabama and aTm. They wouldn't take that utter thrashing if it wasn't for the money and a little bit about exposure. Any major team playing one is a pure joke and they do so just for the easy W because the system does nothing to punish them for it. A W is a W. Ask BSU about that. Beat 1 or 2 teams with a pulse and you can reach the top 10. If BSU were to add just one more maybe they reach the top 5. It works for BSU and it works for Alabama and the rest of the teams who play total garbage to pile up artificial wins.

The part you seem to forget: In doing so, they are still doing better than all the other teams in college football.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part you seem to forget: In doing so, they are still doing better than all the other teams in college football.

No one 'forgets' that, but it isn't relevant. You seem to think that it makes it excusable. Teams in the SEC could play WAC, MAC, etc teams and still have their creamy fall asleep games. There is no reason to HAVE to play FCS PERIOD. Truth sucks doesn't it?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one 'forgets' that, but it isn't relevant. You seem to think that it makes it excusable. Teams in the SEC could play WAC, MAC, etc teams and still have their creamy fall asleep games. There is no reason to HAVE to play FCS PERIOD. Truth sucks doesn't it?

From my website, directly on the rankings page and as part of my rankings:

All FCS teams are automatically worth 0 points. FBS teams have no business playing FCS teams, and winning will give a team a maxium score of 0 points, while losing is a full -100. In addition, FCS teams count as a bye week for the team.

You are pointing fingers in the wrong direction. Lets see the other conferences pick up the pace and start scheduling enough OOC tough teams as to leap frog the SEC in overall SoS.

THEN if the SEC keeps winning national championships I'll start to think you are more than just a SEC hater.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those old SWC games are probably pretty easy to set up. I know those days are long past, but the old farts remember and the younger folk will hear about it. I'd imagine those tickets will be hard to come by.

home games in 2014: Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia

:drool:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are pointing fingers in the wrong direction. Lets see the other conferences pick up the pace and start scheduling enough OOC tough teams as to leap frog the SEC in overall SoS.

THEN if the SEC keeps winning national championships I'll start to think you are more than just a SEC hater.
I am? Because I've said to you several times I blame the system that rewards it, not the teams to make use of the tools allowed. How is that pointing a finger in the wrong direction? I wish no team had to stoop to playing FCS even my own and I wish we would see more top 25 teams playing OOC games with each other, but I understand why they don't. It's the system. How do you not hear me when I say that over and over?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am? Because I've said to you several times I blame the system that rewards it, not the teams to make use of the tools allowed. How is that pointing a finger in the wrong direction? I wish no team had to stoop to playing FCS even my own and I wish we would see more top 25 teams playing OOC games with each other, but I understand why they don't. It's the system. How do you not hear me when I say that over and over?

Because what the "SEC" is doing isn't even close to being the ones that "game" the system.

I do not hear you because you only say it about the SEC as a means of trying degrade and say that the national titles are "cheap" and such.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because what the "SEC" is doing isn't even close to being the ones that "game" the system.

I do not hear you because you only say it about the SEC as a means of trying degrade and say that the national titles are "cheap" and such.

Negative ghost rider. I know you haven't been here very long, but I'm known for slamming boise state, not alabama or team SEC. The team who takes advantage of the system the most is BSU and I've SAID THAT TO YOU THREE TIMES TODAY. You just choose to believe what you want, not what others say. You have serious issues my man. I tell you over and over I like alabama and don't blame them for taking advantage of the flaws in the system and yet you spew that garbage above over and over. Saying it 20 times won't make it true.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negative ghost rider. I know you haven't been here very long, but I'm known for slamming boise state, not alabama or team SEC. The team who takes advantage of the system the most is BSU and I've SAID THAT TO YOU THREE TIMES TODAY. You just choose to believe what you want, not what others say. You have serious issues my man. I tell you over and over I like alabama and don't blame them for taking advantage of the flaws in the system and yet you spew that garbage above over and over. Saying it 20 times won't make it true.

Yes, it was that other WizardHawk who said the national championships were "cheap" because of the FCS teams on the schedule.

Damn Quantum Physics, always screwing me up.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was that other WizardHawk who said the national championships were "cheap" because of the FCS teams on the schedule.

Damn Quantum Physics, always screwing me up.

How does someone who claims to be smarter than anyone else around here end up missing such basic concepts? Could it be you are a closet retard?

I did say I wouldn't want to win a cheap title and to me that's what it would be IF my team dropped an extra IC game from what they have now and added a fluffy nothing game the week before the apple cup. Get it? Somehow I think you will miss the point again and go back to being all team SEC bat shit crazy again.

I have not once EVER said ANYWHERE that Alabama hasn't deserved ANY of their titles EVER. But I KNOW you will once again accuse me of it because it seems reading isn't a strong attribute of yours. You love to take things out of context and project words not said. It's ok, we get it, you can't keep up your defend at all costs all things SEC unless you use such tactics because you can't work with the truth when the truth doesn't support your claims.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does someone who claims to be smarter than anyone else around here end up missing such basic concepts? Could it be you are a closet retard?

I did say I wouldn't want to win a cheap title and to me that's what it would be IF my team dropped an extra IC game from what they have now and added a fluffy nothing game the week before the apple cup. Get it? Somehow I think you will miss the point again and go back to being all team SEC bat shit crazy again.

I have not once EVER said ANYWHERE that Alabama hasn't deserved ANY of their titles EVER. But I KNOW you will once again accuse me of it because it seems reading isn't a strong attribute of yours. You love to take things out of context and project words not said. It's ok, we get it, you can't keep up your defend at all costs all things SEC unless you use such tactics because you can't work with the truth when the truth doesn't support your claims.

Pretty sure I never claimed that, but I like that you have to say such things because you feel your basic arguments aren't strong enough to stand on their own.

And yes, you obviously meant something else in terms of cheap titles, even though you never mentioned any specific team but brought it up in the middle of people talking about the SEC. Oh, and then you even go so far s to say I'm all about defending the SEC but can't worth with the truth because it doesn't support my claims, yet for some reason you aren't talking about them?

:rollseyes:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I never claimed that, but I like that you have to say such things because you feel your basic arguments aren't strong enough to stand on their own.

And yes, you obviously meant something else in terms of cheap titles, even though you never mentioned any specific team but brought it up in the middle of people talking about the SEC. Oh, and then you even go so far s to say I'm all about defending the SEC but can't worth with the truth because it doesn't support my claims, yet for some reason you aren't talking about them?

:rollseyes:

:lol: loathing that which you find as your worst fault are you?

I obviously meant something other than what I said? I guess you know me better than I know myself.

I need to find smiles and apologize to him right away. He is no longer the most self absorbed arrogant pompous ass on the board. There is a new king in town.

Sir, tell me something I've said that isn't true. You can't. You can tell me things that aren't true that I never said, which you seem to like to do pretty much for hours on end. You can't, and won't find an untruth to anything I actually have said. Further, you can't find anything to support your claim that you know what I'm saying more than what I'm actually saying. Resorting to this is proof you have already failed.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: loathing that which you find as your worst fault are you?

I obviously meant something other than what I said? I guess you know me better than I know myself.

I need to find smiles and apologize to him right away. He is no longer the most self absorbed arrogant pompous ass on the board. There is a new king in town.

Sir, tell me something I've said that isn't true. You can't. You can tell me things that aren't true that I never said, which you seem to like to do pretty much for hours on end. You can't, and won't find an untruth to anything I actually have said. Further, you can't find anything to support your claim that you know what I'm saying more than what I'm actually saying. Resorting to this is proof you have already failed.

After pages of debate in which I've clearly outlined my disagreements with you and we've talked about it, you expect me to sift through your pages of crap and meet your demands of "proof" or else I'm by default "wrong" and I'm the one that is self absorbed?

:laugh3:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I was going through good old youtube that the kids are so crazy about, and I somehow ran into a game between Notre Dame and Miami back in 1988. It was a barnburner, the game ended in a tight finish. Anyways, I am doing some stuff around the house and had the game playing in the background. There are some familiar faces, like Barry Alvarez as the DC for the Irish, everyone's favorite Lou Holtz, and then, Jimmy Johnson. Oh, and Pat Hadden up on the booth. Now, here is the kicker. The Canes were playing the Irish, the previous week...they were playing the Wolverines...and even better, these were back to back ROAD GAMES FOR THE CANES! yeah, that's right, they played Michigan at Ann Arbor and then went to South Bend the next week. That is wicked awesome, and I wish that would be the norm for today's game.

no they didnt

Miami Game by Game Results

and you can blame conference expansion for this demise too.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska usually takes on one of the best FCS teams in the country!

We aint slacking that much.

:dance:

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember back in the day when the lord, our god, Bob Devaney said that when scheduling you should look for (in order):
1. A team you will beat
2. A team you SHOULD beat
3. A team that could beat you if you don't show up prepared.

Wish it was still done that way.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad but true. Todays game is as much about strategic scheduling as it is about playing on the field. Field a decent (but not dominant) team, schedule 3 FCS level scrubs, count on beating 3 of the 4 FCS level scrubs that live at the bottom of every FBS conference, and go bowling in the winter. Wash, rinse and repeat next season.

The problem with using Miami's 1988 season here for an OOC SOS discussion is that they were independent at that time. Not being in a conference, they had to schedule these games home and away. Their entire season was OOC, so this doesn't show the scheduling of a tough OOC.

That being said, their schedule that year was really tough:

September 3 #1 Florida State #6 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL CBS W 31–0 77,836
September 17 at #15 Michigan #1 Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI ABC W 31–30 105,834
September 24 Wisconsin #1 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL W 23–3 48,311
October 1 Missouri #1 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL W 55–0 40,654
October 15 at #4 Notre Dame #1 Notre Dame Stadium • Notre Dame, IN CBS L 30–31 59,075
October 22 Cincinnati #4 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL W 57–3 44,107
October 29 at East Carolina #4 Ficklen Memorial Stadium • Greenville, NC W 31–7 29,400
November 5 Tulsa #3 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL W 34–3 38,196
November 19 at #11 LSU #3 Tiger Stadium • Baton Rouge, LA ESPN W 44–3 79,528
November 26 #8 Arkansas #3 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL CBS W 18–16 63,271
December 3 BYU #2 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL W 41–17 59,637
January 2 vs. #6 Nebraska #2 Miami Orange Bowl • Miami, FL (Orange Bowl) NBC W 23–3 79,480

But it shouldn't be used an OOC barometer as the independents, and there were a bunch of them, had to schedule home and away like this.

Here is an interesting list of independent teams in 1988. Check out all the teams that are now in conferences that were indies back in the day:

Team W L T W L T
#1 Notre Dame – – 12 – 0 – 0
#3 Florida State – – 11 – 1 – 0
#2 Miami (FL) – – 11 – 1 – 0
#5 West Virginia – – 11 – 1 – 0
Southern Miss – – 10 – 2 – 0
#13 Syracuse – – 10 – 2 – 0
Army – – 9 – 3 – 0
Louisville – – 8 – 3 – 0
South Carolina – – 8 – 4 – 0
Northern Illinois – – 7 – 4 – 0
Pittsburgh – – 6 – 5 – 0
Memphis – – 6 – 5 – 0
Rutgers – – 6 – 5 – 0
Southwest Louisiana – – 6 – 5 – 0
Akron – – 5 – 6 – 0
Penn State – – 5 – 6 – 0
Tulane – – 5 – 6 – 0
Temple – – 4 – 7 – 0
Tulsa – – 4 – 7 – 0
Boston College – – 3 – 8 – 0
Cincinnati – – 3 – 8 – 0
East Carolina – – 3 – 8 – 0
Navy – – 3 – 8 – 0
Virginia Tech – – 3 – 8 – 0

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had to rewatch this play thinking back to when College Football was really at its peek.....

One of the greatest plays of all time.

Last edited by a moderator: