• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The way it used to be...

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel sorry for all those FCS programs. All those kids that got passed up by major programs and having virtually one shot at having a televised game. One opportunity to play at a major venue in an entire season. And those poor little schools who have to take so much money for putting them in that position. They should stop trying to schedule games with the big boys and fade away back into obscurity.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just got a home and home against Arkansas for 14-15

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel sorry for all those FCS programs. All those kids that got passed up by major programs and having virtually one shot at having a televised game. One opportunity to play at a major venue in an entire season. And those poor little schools who have to take so much money for putting them in that position. They should stop trying to schedule games with the big boys and fade away back into obscurity.

I said this on the other thread and I will say it again here.

There are several FCS teams that could load up their schedule with FBS cupcakes and become bowl eligible. Just because a team is FCS, doesn't automatically make it inferior to an FBS team.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hahahaha I detect some sarcasm here. Of course when you look at the mighty Texas AM schedule, I could understand. Here is a lesson, life ain't fair. Oh no, they didn't get to be on a televised game! boo hoo hoo.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OOC has a chance to improve with the new playoffs, but it will depend on how much SoS plays a part in the committee selection process. While it will only matter for 4 teams there are at least a dozen that start out every year thinking they can reach the top 4 and if they place more stock in SoS then there will be some changes, but probably not back to the way it was back then.

i think the solution is so simple, that is beyond me, why they don't try it. Why not select the four teams based on a point system. Give teams points based on teams they play, road games, and emphasis on SOS, and especially OOC games. There, you can just point to the point system and be done with it.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just got a home and home against Arkansas for 14-15

Those old SWC games are probably pretty easy to set up. I know those days are long past, but the old farts remember and the younger folk will hear about it. I'd imagine those tickets will be hard to come by.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would just stop getting so much pleasure from pulling on guys chains, cables, rods and whatever other name you want to call it, you wouldn't argue so much and your partner wouldn't be so testy.

Heh, heh...even "testy" ties in.

Sorry, I must confess I do enjoy it too much. I have tried to "separate" that part of my personality from the rest of me, but they won't let me even try here! :lame:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the solution is so simple, that is beyond me, why they don't try it. Why not select the four teams based on a point system. Give teams points based on teams they play, road games, and emphasis on SOS, and especially OOC games. There, you can just point to the point system and be done with it.

That's a very interesting and good idea.

But what happens when schools start dropping other schools from their schedules at the last second so they can get more points with their schedules? A poor team could receive a payout to bow out of a particular game in favor of a better opponent.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as wins matter more than playing quality football the crappy FCS schedules will continue. Money has been a driving factor, but even the cash cow would improve with better schedules as the TV match-ups would improve.

The rest of the conferences have been slowing going to the SEC model when it should be the other way around. As long as we keep giving titles to teams that play garbage there is no incentive for AD's to increase the difficulty of their schedules.

Despite a few confused posters on this board believing I blame the evil SEC for all ills, this problem is the result of the BCS. I blame the system, not those taking advantage of it. BSU takes advantage of a system that allows them to be relevant with only one or two games a year and some teams in the SEC and a growing number in other conferences are taking advantage of not having FCS blow out wins hurt their rankings and runs at a title. We don't know for sure if the playoff system will have substantial impact on that, but the chance is there. I doubt it can make the situation worse so it should be a positive step forward even if it doesn't fix it entirely.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee OOC schedule the past few years (outside of playing NC State & Oregon) has been shit. I went back and looked at their OOC schedule from the early to mid 2000's and it used to be a lot better.

2006 - California, Air Force, Marshall, Memphis
2005 - UAB, Notre Dame, Memphis
2004 - UNLV, Louisiana Tech, Notre Dame
2003 - Fresno State, Marshall, Duke, Miami
2002 - Wyoming, MTSU, Rutgers, Miami
2001 - Syracuse, Notre Dame, Memphis

There were little to no FCS teams...and definitely not two Sun Belt teams on the same schedule. Now, it's 1 BCS, 1 FCS and 2 Sun Belt teams or a MAC. I wish Tennessee would get back to scheduling more decent OOC opponents, other than just one team each year.

You can't and you won't until you start winning more and start fielding a better team.

One of the best things that could be done for college football right now is to allow all teams the practice time that is given for bowl teams. That practice time is probably more valuable than the bowl money for teams.

Or they could quit limiting practice, but that's never going to happen.

So those games give your team the best chance of being bowl eligible and getting that valuable practice time.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these FCS schools want and need these games. They bring in a lot of money and get some exposure from it. Almost every commercial break during the cup cake game there is an ad running for the FCS school. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to a D1 school and if scheduling games against SEC teams or any other D1 team helps give these people options and helps increase enrollment for FCS schools then I'm all for it. Even though I would prefer to see my team play a better program, I understand that I have nothing to do with the schedule and support my team regardless.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac used to give only .5 credit for wins vs FCS teams so almost no one ever played them. It wasn't all that long ago that they removed that and made it so there is no penalty for playing those teams. This is why Pac teams are now playing them. If all of the majors would adopt such a policy the FCS problem vanishes overnight, but they would just go back to playing the sun belt which isn't that much better.

As long as SoS means nothing to teams just trying to reach .500 there is no end to fluffy games. The SoS might start meaning more to top 25 teams and could lead to better games and really that's all everyone wants anyway right? Who cares if a 6 win team got half of them from the sunbelt as long as we as fans get better games from the better teams.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these FCS schools want and need these games. They bring in a lot of money and get some exposure from it. Almost every commercial break during the cup cake game there is an ad running for the FCS school. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to a D1 school and if scheduling games against SEC teams or any other D1 team helps give these people options and helps increase enrollment for FCS schools then I'm all for it. Even though I would prefer to see my team play a better program, I understand that I have nothing to do with the schedule and support my team regardless.
Why should fans care about the financial well being of FCS football programs? Those teams survived when majors didn't play them and they will survive after they are again left to their own level of play. One could argue it has hurt some of the mid-majors because the games you now play against pudunk state would have traditionally been against a WAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt team and now they get less exposure and income.

To me the point that it helps FCS teams is a red herring.

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution. Only count 11 games. You still play 12, but if you only count 11 for (record/SoS), then you can still play FCS/bottom FBS team and not be penalized for it.

Everyone wins.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a very interesting and good idea.

But what happens when schools start dropping other schools from their schedules at the last second so they can get more points with their schedules? A poor team could receive a payout to bow out of a particular game in favor of a better opponent.

how about this. we get all the AQ conferences to a round number. ND, BYU and Boise may need to join a conference. Then we do like the NFL. ACC schools play against the Big XII and because there are more schools in the ACC, some may play against SEC schools, and so forth. So for example, my Huskers have to play against the PAC 12 for those 3 OOC games (they are going to 9 conference game, the PAC 12 is already there.) and they get Oregon State, California, and USC. I would love that that OOC. Then you can go to the points system, or just have all the teams that win the AQ conferences and two at large teams join the playoffs.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should fans care about the financial well being of FCS football programs? Those teams survived when majors didn't play them and they will survive after they are again left to their own level of play. One could argue it has hurt some of the mid-majors because the games you now play against pudunk state would have traditionally been against a WAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt team and now they get less exposure and income.

To me the point that it helps FCS teams is a red herring.

RED HERRING is one of my all time favorites.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care but I understand why they are doing it. I don't think D1 programs are simply targeting to FCS teams simply to pad their schedule with some easy wins. FCS schools wouldn't get anything out of it if that were the case and they wouldn't agree to such a lopsided matchup. FCS schools are reaching out to D1 programs especially in conferences like the SEC where they can get the most exposure. And if a D1 team can save money by scheduling a FCS team while adding a couple mine W's to the record they are more likely to go in that direction. In the end it's all about money.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf: It's kind of obvious why FCS teams play games with teams like Alabama and aTm. They wouldn't take that utter thrashing if it wasn't for the money and a little bit about exposure. Any major team playing one is a pure joke and they do so just for the easy W because the system does nothing to punish them for it. A W is a W. Ask BSU about that. Beat 1 or 2 teams with a pulse and you can reach the top 10. If BSU were to add just one more maybe they reach the top 5. It works for BSU and it works for Alabama and the rest of the teams who play total garbage to pile up artificial wins.