• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The University of Michigan vs the University of Alabama (Rose Bowl)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just being objective
Pretty fucking clear

Sure like they didn't miss any calls that would have favored Michigan and some 5 yard penalty in the 1st quarter would have made all the difference. I thought you'd be all out of tears after watching your buckeyes the other day.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it was roughing the kicker. And bama should have gotten a first down

I thought it was a pretty well officiated game. Maybe it was because Michigan won, but I saw missed calls on both sides. I really don't believe any of those missed calls changed or really would have changed the outcome of the game. That roughing the kicker missed call didn't seem like it was that big a deal. Michigan's defense was really dominated Bama at that time, and they were still on their side of the field when it happened. I am biased though. :nod:

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bama did better this year than i ever thought they would.it was a better game than i thought which bama should have won if they had not shit the bed in the 4th quarter.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a pretty well officiated game. Maybe it was because Michigan won, but I saw missed calls on both sides. I really don't believe any of those missed calls changed or really would have changed the outcome of the game. That roughing the kicker missed call didn't seem like it was that big a deal. Michigan's defense was really dominated Bama at that time, and they were still on their side of the field when it happened. I am biased though. :nod:
The running into the kicker call that was inexplicably missed would have resulted in an Alabama first down. Instead, Michigan got the ball, the equivalent of an interception on a long pass. Considering that the game ended tied in regulation, any turnover is a big deal.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The running into the kicker call that was inexplicably missed would have resulted in an Alabama first down. Instead, Michigan got the ball, the equivalent of an interception on a long pass. Considering that the game ended tied in regulation, any turnover is a big deal.

That seems to be a stretch, considering that Michigan's defense was dominating them at that time. They would have still been deep in their end of the field.

Are you insinuating that the missed call changed the results of the game? I just don't see that in this situation.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya IDK about the trip ( the Michigan defense could have pushed him a certain way ya know, so many ifs ) The QB had to make the play, and he didn't.
If you want to run, don't go up the middle, ya have a better chance of outrunning someone than muscling through all that beef.
Personally, I thought it would have been a pass, I mean all those WRs and a TE with all the left-side space but hey just my opinion. Michigan d-line was doing better than their secondary
I don't understand Alabama's last play in OT either. It's fourth down and goal from the four. You need a touchdown on this play or your season is over. What's called for is a play with options, so if one way to score is blocked, you can do something else to score. So who called a QB run up the middle against Michigan's defensive line? And why did Milroe blindly dive headfirst into the scrum when there wasn't a whisper of a hole for him to run through? There was no way he was going to push that pile backwards 4 yards. Still shaking my head in wonder.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bama did better this year than i ever thought they would.it was a better game than i thought which bama should have won if they had not shit the bed in the 4th quarter.

Only shitting of the bed was Michigan´s special teams in the game... fumble on punt return lead to Bama TD, missed extra point, missed FG and punt return at end of game that was almost the game.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems to be a stretch, considering that Michigan's defense was dominating them at that time. They would have still been deep in their end of the field.

Are you insinuating that the missed call changed the results of the game? I just don't see that in this situation.
Sure, they would have still been in their end, but it would have been first down Alabama. Let's go with your premise, that Michigan would have stopped Alabama in the next three downs and they punted. That would have burned 2 minutes and change off the clock. Michigan scored the tying TD with 1:34 left.

Again, in a game that ends tied in regulation, any turnover is a big deal.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand Alabama's last play in OT either. It's fourth down and goal from the four. You need a touchdown on this play or your season is over. What's called for is a play with options, so if one way to score is blocked, you can do something else to score. So who called a QB run up the middle against Michigan's defensive line? And why did Milroe blindly dive headfirst into the scrum when there wasn't a whisper of a hole for him to run through? There was no way he was going to push that pile backwards 4 yards. Still shaking my head in wonder.
My thoughts also.
Maybe, just maybe, when Milroe got the ball, he saw something, maybe after a bad snap he felt rushed to do something, maybe he was intending on QB sneak all along or maybe he wanted the ball.
IDK with all the maybe's but I'm sure as you noted the play came in as an option.
My guess would have been, to stack the line with receivers, you have all the left side to use, If a rollout was there boom take it but I think with his speed he could have made a better go at it with 25 open yards than 4 closed yards

I'm not saying I wanted Alabama to win but think they had a better chance instead of the middle

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, they would have still been in their end, but it would have been first down Alabama. Let's go with your premise, that Michigan would have stopped Alabama in the next three downs and they punted. That would have burned 2 minutes and change off the clock. Michigan scored the tying TD with 1:34 left.

Again, in a game that ends tied in regulation, any turnover is a big deal.

Maybe I'm remembering the game wrong. Didn't the running into the kicker happen in the first half? (my memory is probably shot)

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm remembering the game wrong. Didn't the running into the kicker happen in the first half? (my memory is probably shot)
You're right, it was in the first half. My bad. Still, it was a turnover, and it still makes a difference. Michigan scored a TD in the last 3:49 of the first half, which could have been time that Alabama would have burned up with a first down in the possession they missed.

I'm amazed that the refs missed that call considering that it's something that can happen on every punt.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, it was in the first half. My bad. Still, it was a turnover, and it still makes a difference. Michigan scored a TD in the last 3:49 of the first half, which could have been time that Alabama would have burned up with a first down in the possession they missed.

I'm amazed that the refs missed that call considering that it's something that can happen on every punt.

Wow, that just seems like way too much "pretzel" type thinking to me. I feel like you're playing the movie "The Butterfly Effect". :D

Maybe missing a running into the kicker completely changed the game. I don't think it made any difference. I don't see it as being a turnover more than any other missed pass interference call in every college football game. Just my two cents.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only shitting of the bed was Michigan´s special teams in the game... fumble on punt return lead to Bama TD, missed extra point, missed FG and punt return at end of game that was almost the game.
i disagree,bama sure did on offense and defense in the quarter.michigan almost lost when that guy nearly fumbled on the goalline the end of regulation.they had st screw ups,but i did,nt cost them the game.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan was fortunate to win the game with so many gaffes on the special teams last night. Those are all uncharacteristic of them and should be easily fixed by the time they play Washington. I think it was more about the nervousness of the players in that game than anything. Hopefully for Michigan, that nervousness will be much less.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. if it was a 1/2 yard or less out, maybe............. no fucking way, 3+ yards out. I really can't believe saban called that.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree,bama sure did on offense and defense in the quarter.michigan almost lost when that guy nearly fumbled on the goalline the end of regulation.they had st screw ups,but i did,nt cost them the game.
  • Michigan outgained Alabama by 70 yards in the game
  • Alabama barely had 100 yards passing, were much more 1 dimensional and less balanced offensively
  • Both teams average 4.0 yards rushing the ball (Michigan averaged slightly more)
  • DL for Michigan 6 sacks and 10 TFL / Alabama 1 sack and 1 TFL
  • Penalties and penalty yards pretty much even
  • Turnovers even, but Alabama turned their turnover into 7 pts thanks to short field
Not really seeing any domination by Alabama to lead me to believe they shit the bed on offense or defense.

Special teams comment not much of a rebutal, did not cost them the game because Michigan won. Does not change the fact Michigan kicker left 4 points on the field and punt returner gave Bama very short field that lead to only Bama score in first half. Michigan overcame all their special teams mistakes and still won the game.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Alabama barely had 100 yards passing, were much more 1 dimensional and less balanced offensively
  • Both teams average 4.0 yards rushing the ball (Michigan averaged slightly more)
  • Turnovers even, but Alabama turned their turnover into 7 pts thanks to short field
Not really seeing any domination by Alabama to lead me to believe they shit the bed on offense or defense.

Special teams comment not much of a rebutal, did not cost them the game because Michigan won. Does not change the fact Michigan kicker left 4 points on the field and punt returner gave Bama very short field that lead to only Bama score in first half. Michigan overcame all their special teams mistakes and still won the game.
It was surprised at how bad their passing game looked last night. He was scared to death to drop back to pass with Michigans rush. It makes me question how good Georgia was this season if they couldn't beat that Bama team. I know Georgia didn't have all their horses, but they should have easily had enough to beat that Bama squad. Michigan played scared for large parts of the game and still won.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a good no call. The kick was completed and the defender had turned around to play the return. At some point the punter is just another player on the field, regardless of how long they keep their leg out in front of them. The punter is lucky he didn't get flagged for tripping.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^THIS. I was pulling out my hair. Michigan came out very flat on special teams and still won that game somehow.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bama was averaging 10.4 yards per pass attempt entering the game. For them to hold them to 5.0 Y/A is pretty insane.