• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Texans Have Contacted The Pats

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.
All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7.
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be reasonable and would give the Pats a lot of room to manipulate the draft. And you can always pick up Cassell again

Is he going to get cut after being resigned by the Vikings?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things...1) Houston is calling a ton of teams asking about availability of quarterbacks. They have done the same with the Broncos on Osweiler asking if he was available. I think there are even a few other teams they have contacted. They are just doing their due diligence to see if there is a different way they can go with that 1st pick than just quarterback.

2) With the whole Comp pick argument JDM is right that it is a very complicated equation that the NFL uses that nobody outside of the NFL actually knows. The little we do know about it is the first thing they will look at is how many players a team lost compared to that gained in FA. If they lost more than they gained just numbers wise then they are eligible for a pick in the 3rd-6th round. If they signed the same number or more but the value of those lost is more than those gained they are only eligible for the 7th round. So what you get for Mallet will depend some on how many players are lost compared to gained.

2nd then is if you lost more players than you gained then they look at 3 things to determine value of the pick received. The 1st and probably most important part is that of the contract they received. A great example is that of Mike Wallace this past year. He really didn't play all that great but most likely Pitt will get a 3rd round pick based on just his salary alone. The other parts considered are playing time and post season success. So really how they do on the field during the season doesn't matter at all.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was if you lose more value-wise (using whatever they score with) not just if you lose more eligible players, but I may have been wrong there. But either way they are likely to gain comp picks, and if Mallett makes enough to not be re-signed, we'll get a relatively high one.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can scream no, no, no all day long, but Bill O'Brien is going to get what he wants. You don't hire a new head coach and tie his hands behind his back. You certainly can't fire him if some one else does all the shopping and he doesn't have the ingredients to bake a cake.........Bill Parcells circa 1996.

I did hear today that a very possible trade was being discussed......Ryan Mallett and the Patriots first round pick for Houston's 2nd, 3rd and 4th Round. That would give the Texans the first and 29th and Mallett and the Patriots would get the 33rd, 65th and 97th picks.

That seems to be a very fair deal................

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not?

We improve our 2nd and gain the first pick in the 3rd round.

that is better than losing Mallet to free agency in a year and our 2nd pick

we likely could have gotten a 1st or second last offseason. Now Brady is coming off an off year. Not time to get rid of Brady - not time to get rid of the back-up either.

I'll play devil's advocate here. Lots of people think Manziel is a first rounder. If I had to start one of them in Teaxas? I'd take Mallett. Houston should up the offer and save themselves the embarassment of taking (or leaving) Manziel.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we likely could have gotten a 1st or second last offseason. Now Brady is coming off an off year. Not time to get rid of Brady - not time to get rid of the back-up either.

I'll play devil's advocate here. Lots of people think Manziel is a first rounder. If I had to start one of them in Teaxas? I'd take Mallett. Houston should up the offer and save themselves the embarassment of taking (or leaving) Manziel.

Bill declined an offer from two teams last off season for a second round pick.

If Bill B is that high on Mallet, so am I.
Bill O'B is trying to play poker on the with the pro's now after winning a few times in his garage, all we can do is set back and see how it works for him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol we're not getting the number one. He just won't move.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill declined an offer from two teams last off season for a second round pick.

If Bill B is that high on Mallet, so am I.
Bill O'B is trying to play poker on the with the pro's now after winning a few times in his garage, all we can do is set back and see how it works for him.

What were the teams? I'm willing to bet that would get your answer as to why he turned them down.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not division teams if that's what you're implying. Pretty sure one was Cleveland, one was some other perennial shithole that would have granted a high second rounder back.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not division teams if that's what you're implying. Pretty sure one was Cleveland, one was some other perennial shithole that would have granted a high second rounder back.

The Browns do not have anyone (now) that he is friendly with correct?

Same with the other team?

I'm thinking a team could offer him the world and if he does not like the team or something like that, he would bite the bullet and not trade.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bull. Belichick will happily fleece anyone. If Mallett wasn't worth a second rounder he would have happily sent him packing.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bull. Belichick will happily fleece anyone. If Mallett wasn't worth a second rounder he would have happily sent him packing.

If he can chuck a ball, Bill would not let the Jets have him for 2 first rounders.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can chuck a ball, Bill would not let the Jets have him for 2 first rounders.

If he was only worth the third rounder we got him for? Of course he would. And he'd make sure those two first rounders made the jets miserable their entire careers.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was only worth the third rounder we got him for? Of course he would. And he'd make sure those two first rounders made the jets miserable their entire careers.

Point.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM the little I have read on Comp Picks does say it starts with how many players you lost compared to sign. From there they then go to value (money wise) to determine what value pick you should get. I could be wrong as well but that is what I read on a couple of the things I was reading on the subject.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know either. They keep a lot close to the vest and most of the information there is contradicts each other and calls each other wrong.