• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ten worst moves of the offseason

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should be a fun meltdown to watch in the Bay Area. Now if the Raiders go .500-ish again that would be extra amusing.

I don't think so. The expectations are low right now. And even with Kelly's issues, he is still going to be better than Tomsula was. Not sure what exactly a meltdown is supposed to be, but I don't see that happening. The Raiders not getting above .500 would probably be a bigger issue as the expectations for the Raiders around here is much higher this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. The expectations are low right now. And even with Kelly's issues, he is still going to be better than Tomsula was. Not sure what exactly a meltdown is supposed to be, but I don't see that happening. The Raiders not getting above .500 would probably be a bigger issue as the expectations for the Raiders around here is much higher this year.

Not sure Raiders fans could handle another bad year especially when expectations are for once high. WE see all the time though that teams when they go from underdog to spotlight really struggle.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephenson got shredded when he was playing LT for the Chiefs. They put him there because of injuries to that 1st overall pick they made. Different story when a guy is playing RT. I'm not saying Stephenson is some incredible player. I do think he is a bad player but I still would take him over Schofield. Honestly there are very few OL players in the league I wouldn't take over Schofield right now.

lol and I think the same of Stephenson... From a pass blocking perspective. Want to see him on the right side, throw on that return game of his vs. Oak. Uggh it was bad. Like I said, not sold when you get booted off the line by a guy who's gotten a lot out of his lines in Andy Reid for a journeyman guard.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Jets never seem to disappoint in this regard :burt:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol and I think the same of Stephenson... From a pass blocking perspective. Want to see him on the right side, throw on that return game of his vs. Oak. Uggh it was bad. Like I said, not sold when you get booted off the line by a guy who's gotten a lot out of his lines in Andy Reid for a journeyman guard.

I guess we shall see. I view it just a bit in the sense that the Broncos love to take superior athletes (which that is one positive about Stephenson is his athleticism) that maybe hasn't quite lived up to the hype but are getting ready to enter their prime and see if they can get the best years out of the player on the cheap. It has worked pretty well with guys like Sanders, Stewart, Knighton, and Vasquez. All of those guys had shown glimpses of being good but hadn't put a full season together or had some character flaws that dropped some of their value. Then they came to Denver were given that shot and excelled. I see Stephenson falling into that same category of a guy that they see has the athleticism to do what they want to do on offense but just hasn't quite put the talent to go with the athleticism.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pretty good list. Chase Daniel is the #2 QB for Philly, Wentz is currently #3 and I think he redshirts as a rookie. But still, good list.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Raiders fans could handle another bad year especially when expectations are for once high. WE see all the time though that teams when they go from underdog to spotlight really struggle.

The Raiders have talent and improved the roster. We shall see. The media here has talked up the Raiders which helps to increase expectations. We'll see if the Raiders can make the leap from okay to good.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea of PFF's list is to base it on PFF's player opinions. They think Ifedi is hot garbage at guard.
Yes, we all have opinions and Seahawk fans should be getting used to getting slammed on their draft picks. More often than not, the Hawks prove that they know better who fits what they are looking for than the pundits who think they are so wise.

'I can't believe he remembered that'

Troy Kema and Seahawks general manager John Schneider never met before the past August. Kema, now the director of player personnel and student services at Kansas, previously worked at Texas A&M. Schneider was in the area for the Seahawks' preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs and wanted to visit with Kema.

The two walked around the Kansas campus and got to know each other. As they were watching a Jayhawks practice, the conversation shifted to Ifedi.

"We were talking about players at A&M, and he asked me about Germain," Kema said. "I said, ‘Let me tell you something, man. You guys need to take a serious look. We can talk about the guys here. We can talk about anybody at A&M, Kansas, but this kid, if you don’t jump on this kid, man, y’all don’t know what you’re doing.'

"I was kind of half-joking, but not. I can’t believe he remembered that."

Earlier this month, the Seahawks chose Ifedi with the 31st overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft. Plenty of variables led to the selection, including the Seahawks' trade back from No. 26, other players going off the board and the offensive line losing two starters in free agency. But meeting Kema speaks to Schneider's thoroughness.

"That was our first conference, and I was like, 'I guess we’re drafting Germain Ifedi,'" joked Schneider, the only GM in the league to talk to Kema. "So this whole last couple months, we knew exactly what we were doing. We’ve just been waiting to take Germain Ifedi."

I expect it adds another chip to the shoulders of our players, who seem to need that edge to play at the level they aspire to. I do disagree that this pick is considered one of the worst decisions of the off season.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only offseason moves I think could have gotten the Chargers on the list is keeping McCoy and Pagano, I like the FA moves and draft picks.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hold on.....I bitched about the Denver fan always talking about the QB play being the worst and insinuating butt fumble won't be as bad. I give a rats ass how many times he says it.

I responded to the list about.... Browns rolling into 2016 with RG III as the presumptive starter at QB
I added that if Cleveland makes this list then Denver belongs cause they are doing the same.

as to Denver....I woulda brought in two vets to compete. Pick a name but why would you roll with just Sanchez?

So...you say RG3, Fitz and the Kap types are a piles of shit but Sanchez isn't? That's funny to me.

BOY....Lynch better be all that and not the QB I saw in his bowl game. This could get ugly.
Sanchez is a pile of shit just like the rest of pile of shits. They really had a bunch of shitty options. I guess they could have brought in 2 veteran piles of shit and had a shit-off but at that point who really give a shit

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez is a pile of shit just like the rest of pile of shits. They really had a bunch of shitty options. I guess they could have brought in 2 veteran piles of shit and had a shit-off but at that point who really give a shit
I call bullshit. I don't know why but the shit that comes from bulls carries more weight that any of the bovine species shit.
I tend to go for the jugular.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are acting like there are just great QB's growing on trees everywhere. That just isn't the case. The Broncos did what they could with a bad situation with not a whole lot of great options.

OMG. You mean they don't grow on trees???

My point is that Denver as a SB contender should be on the list ahead of Cleveland as a nothing team when it comes to the position they find themselves in at the QB position. You can't make some stupid point about QBs and trees and ignore the fact that we are talking about the QB position with both teams (one of which can certainly roll the dice more than the other given their expectations).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My point is that Denver as a SB contender should be on the list ahead of Cleveland as a nothing team when it comes to the position they find themselves in at the QB position. You can't make some stupid point about QBs and trees and ignore the fact that we are talking about the QB position with both teams (one of which can certainly roll the dice more than the other given their expectations).

I guess to me I view it a bit different...

1) I'm guessing PFF looks at it in the sense that the Broncos had their #1 QB retire. Not much they can do about that. Throw in him retiring saved them a buttload of money cap wise for this upcoming season and realistically is why they can keep a guy like Von Miller who is about to get a big pay day.

2) They then look at the #2 guy on the roster who was signed by Houston to a ridiculous contract that they are calling the worst contract of this past off season and thinking wow the Broncos really made a good decision not to sign this guy.

So then that leaves the team in a bit of a pickle QB wise but they did what they could considering the situation. Yes it is obviously not ideal when Sanchez might be your starter. At the same time when our QB production last year was so down right terrible and yet we still won a Super Bowl they are also viewing it in the sense of they don't need an all star at the QB position to win. Cleveland on the other hand probably needs an all star if they are to stand a chance and well RGIII probably not that guy. Can Sanchez at least be a guy that doesn't go out and blow it big time? We shall see. Then they work around in the draft and get the guy they really want in Lynch who is now cost controlled for 4-5 years.

Honestly yes I do view this year as a bit of a rebuilding year. You guys experienced it after the Super Bowl where you just can't afford to keep everybody and you have to hit the reset button a bit. Doesn't mean you become a bad team by any means but some talent leaves and you have to work to replace that. Again this is why I don't expect the Broncos to repeat. Did they do enough though to stay very competitive and possibly push for the playoffs...I would think even with Sanchez many would say yes. Heck Bucky Brooks just put out an article that he has the Broncos as the 4th most talented roster. So even with guys taking huge pay days they still have a very talented roster. I would say that is some great work FO wise to pick and choose who is a priority and get them locked up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said otherwise. I think he is in a great situation with O'Brien and his system. I think Osweiler can do just fine. I do think though with the Broncos watching him for 4 years in practice came to the same conclusion that I have that he just won't be much more than above average. If they thought he would be more they would have done everything possible to keep him. The Broncos have been wrong on evaluations many times so maybe Osweiler goes out and proves them wrong. Plenty of players have been late bloomers or needed a change of scenery to really put it all together.
I'm with you I think Os has the potential to do well under O'brien? What I find amusing is everyone saying he won't be a top tier or a franchise QB. First that's only speculation on any of our parts. Beside how many actual franchise/top tier QBs are there? That being said 2nd tier QBs are getting paid. As a GM you just hope you get lucky picking your QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you I think Os has the potential to do well under O'brien? What I find amusing is everyone saying he won't be a top tier or a franchise QB. First that's only speculation on any of our parts. Beside how many actual franchise/top tier QBs are there? That being said 2nd tier QBs are getting paid. As a GM you just hope you get lucky picking your QB.

I will go on record and say that I don't think Osweiler has the ability to be a consistent top-10 QB. That doesn't mean he is a bad QB by any means but I just think he is one of those guys that is decent at everything but just not great at any one thing as a QB. So I think he will be solid for the Texans but maybe not take them over the top like they are hoping. This is why I was happy the Broncos didn't try to up their offer to match that of the Texans because I think that means we lose a lot of talented players because of being hamstrung by paying a maybe above average QB. Now he can go prove me wrong and like I said O'Brien is a great coach for him to be going to. I am very interested to see how that all goes. Honestly I do think it can be a win/win for both teams. The Broncos are happy about getting Lynch and trying to have him be the future plus not being in a bad cap situation because they are not paying a QB huge money so they can keep a guy like Miller and the Texans feel like they got their franchise QB. So yeah I think both teams could end up very happy in the situation.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's a good guard, what's the problem? He was taken 32nd overall... not 2nd overall. If you can get an above average guard out of 32nd overall, that's a win.
Assuming they make/keep him at G, and he has an above average career then yes it wasn't a huge reach. But the pundits are likely basing their opinion on him as a T. So today I'd agree with them. What happens in the future we'll all have to wait and see.

A 10 yr. Career is a lot to hope for. Not many players make it 10 years. If he turns out to be a good guard as you say chances are he won't be on Seattle after this contract. Seattle not known to pay their Oline under the current regime.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEN was in the middle of a rock and a hard place...cap wise, they couldn't do a whole lot more for Os even if they wanted to which wouldn't have made sense...as bad as he looked at the end in WAS...RG3 made more sense to me than Sanchez..but as it stands imo, they made out pretty good getting Lynch...hopefully Sanchez will turn over the keys with them around .500 and the new era starts...they got their ring...defending was always going to be tough w/o improving at the QB spot.
Agreed but I would also say the Denver FO missed on this. Usually they like NE draft for the future not the next year. Denver mortaged the house the past two years by paying the players tgey chose to pay. It worked out short term with a SB let's see how it works out over the next couple years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also just a quick note. I do think PFF looks at the last significant work that Sanchez had as a Starting QB in this league where he started 9 straight games for the Eagles and sees a guy that is a nice upgrade over Manning from this last year. I mean he did in those 9 games have 14 touchdowns to only 11 interceptions, very good completion percentage, and a QB Rating of 88.4. Not overly impressive numbers but still a very big step up from 11 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, a Completion percentage below 60% and a QB Rating of 67.9. I mean that jumps the QB play from 32nd in the league to 22nd in the league. Not great but still an upgrade.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed but I would also say the Denver FO missed on this. Usually they like NE draft for the future not the next year. Denver mortaged the house the past two years by paying the players tgey chose to pay. It worked out short term with a SB let's see how it works out over the next couple years.

This is again where I come back to the Broncos tried to prepare for the future with Brock Osweiler. Unfortunately he just didn't quite live up to what they were hoping he would become. Then you throw in the contract that he signed with Houston and you just think this guy is not worth that kind of money with so little experience and honestly average at best play when he did get experience.

Also I don't think the Broncos mortgaged the future with their contracts. Money was tight this year but they have the most cap space of any team in the league next year plus something like 10 more draft picks with 5 of those being in the top-100 picks next year.