• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ten worst moves of the offseason

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, is it incorrect?

Tell you what, I'll stop saying it when I stop seeing posts that say essentially, "The Broncos went from Peyton Manning to Mark Sanchez, lol." Fair enough?
I give a rats ass what you do. It's a point but hardly the commandment you make it.

Craig Morton killed the Orange Crush in 77 and woulda Bum's boy had the QB play been similar that day.
It's a point but you've taken it to the extreme...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the list

If Cleveland is mentioned then Denver belongs.
Perhaps more so....defending champ and all

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't meant as a slam...just a thought from a somewhat knowledgeable football fan that reads much more than posts. You're correct, winning a championship gives some fans a right of passage to come off as a higher authority cause their team won the SB. The hoop serves as a good example of that....least the last 3 years it has.

I think I'll retire from message boards should my team ever win another championship in my lifetime. Dallas fans come outta the woodwork and define obnoxious....and that was b4 the internet boom

I was actually thinking that when you were talking about how Bronco fans are acting. Throw in the Cowboys might have the largest fanbase on this board so yeah I can't imagine what that would look like. Like I said we just get a bit excited.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about the draft. If a SB contender is counting on the draft to provide them with their starting QB...then they have already failed.

Sorry...you will never be able to convince me that Mark Sanchez is ever the best option.

Again I just want to know what was the better option the Broncos had that they could have done?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I just want to know what was the better option the Broncos had that they could have done?

I don't understand what your point is. They get a pass because they left themselves in a position to not have any options better than Mark Sanchez? Well to me, that's their failure right there.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand what your point is. They get a pass because they left themselves in a position to not have any options better than Mark Sanchez? Well to me, that's their failure right there.

Actually agree somewhat with this. I will say they did try to prepare in the sense that they were hoping Osweiler would be the heir to Manning. Unfortunately he didn't develop quite as much as they had hoped and then priced himself out of Denver for a guy that only had 7 starts that were pretty mediocre. So they had a plan it just didn't work out like they had hoped.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about the draft. If a SB contender is counting on the draft to provide them with their starting QB...then they have already failed.

Sorry...you will never be able to convince me that Mark Sanchez is ever the best option.
That depends on what you mean by the best option. Was there another option out there for the Broncos that was better than getting Sanchez? Because if there was, I'd like to know what it was.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends on what you mean by the best option. Was there another option out there for the Broncos that was better than getting Sanchez? Because if there was, I'd like to know what it was.
Obviously trading two 2nd round picks for a frail Sam Bradford was the best move.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos didn't have a bad offseason. Let a mediocre QB walk when Houston offered him WAAAYYY too much money. Then drafted a future HOF QB in the first, who'll cost a third of what the Texans are paying Osweiler the next few years.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give a rats ass what you do. It's a point but hardly the commandment you make it.

Craig Morton killed the Orange Crush in 77 and woulda Bum's boy had the QB play been similar that day.
It's a point but you've taken it to the extreme...
How exactly have I taken it to the extreme? All I've consistently said is that it's entirely possible the Broncos get better qb play this year than they got last year, and that they'll need it if they intend to compete for the Super Bowl again. Is that not reasonable (genuinely asking here)?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously trading two 2nd round picks for a frail Sam Bradford was the best move.

Still mad that they didn't make this trade. Man could have added this elite talent. What was Elway thinking?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually agree somewhat with this. I will say they did try to prepare in the sense that they were hoping Osweiler would be the heir to Manning. Unfortunately he didn't develop quite as much as they had hoped and then priced himself out of Denver for a guy that only had 7 starts that were pretty mediocre. So they had a plan it just didn't work out like they had hoped.
Bingo. I think it's pretty obvious Osweiler didn't turn out to be as good as they thought he was going to be, and they underestimated what the market would pay him.

The Broncos put themselves in a bind with their qb situation: anytime the only qb on your roster is a second year 7th round draft pick who took one kneel down his entire rookie season, you haven't managed it very well. However, I think they managed to dig themselves out of it rather well, although it's certainly not the best position you want your team to be defending the championship with.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 is the Titans hiring of Muluarkey and Robiskie.

Seriously? That's the best they could do?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I was going to disagree with RG3 being on the list because I can totally seeing RG3 bouncing back and being a top 10-15 QB...

...for one year. And then getting hurt and sulking. Never invest in a QB made of glass.

That said, I think PFF is being hypocritical by targeting certain QBs and completely avoiding San Francisco's decision to keep going with Kaepernick and/or Gabbert. Those are the NFL equivalents of Hackenberg and PFF is just assuming Chip Kelly is going to come in and work wonders and he completely imploded a team last year so he definitely should be on the list if they are being consistent.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. I think it's pretty obvious Osweiler didn't turn out to be as good as they thought he was going to be, and they underestimated what the market would pay him.

The Broncos put themselves in a bind with their qb situation: anytime the only qb on your roster is a second year 7th round draft pick who took one kneel down his entire rookie season, you haven't managed it very well. However, I think they managed to dig themselves out of it rather well, although it's certainly not the best position you want your team to be defending the championship with.

I agree. Osweiler just did not live up to the hype. Kept waiting to see the year everything really clicked for him and while he had a few moments for us it just never felt like you were watching the franchise QB that you want. And unfortunately when that high draft pick QB fails you really do have to hit the reset button.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Osweiler just did not live up to the hype. Kept waiting to see the year everything really clicked for him and while he had a few moments for us it just never felt like you were watching the franchise QB that you want. And unfortunately when that high draft pick QB fails you really do have to hit the reset button.
Houston Texans have been an average team and instead of slowly building on that, it does look like they hit the panic button this offseason. Bill O'Brien really hasn't had any weapons to install a high powered offense. Hopkins has been a fantastic target but has no shot at YAC and is the focal point. Will Fuller is not a 1st round WR prospect. I think he is close to Paul Richardson or Ted Ginn and not a true legit threat. Braxton Miller I was comping to Brad Smith and the fact that they got him in the 3rd round actually isn't that bad at all but it reinforces this idea that the Texans basically went all in on the passing game with Bill O'Brien but they chose players that aren't good enough to hit pro bowls. It seems like the right idea to take advantage of JJ Watt's prime but they chose the wrong offseason to make these moves imo.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osweiler just did not live up to the hype.

Guy started 7 games. Not like he had a whole lot of time to show whether he's a big money QB or not. Way too soon to tell if he's gonna live up to the hype of a 2nd round pick or not.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston Texans have been an average team and instead of slowly building on that, it does look like they hit the panic button this offseason. Bill O'Brien really hasn't had any weapons to install a high powered offense. Hopkins has been a fantastic target but has no shot at YAC and is the focal point. Will Fuller is not a 1st round WR prospect. I think he is close to Paul Richardson or Ted Ginn and not a true legit threat. Braxton Miller I was comping to Brad Smith and the fact that they got him in the 3rd round actually isn't that bad at all but it reinforces this idea that the Texans basically went all in on the passing game with Bill O'Brien but they chose players that aren't good enough to hit pro bowls. It seems like the right idea to take advantage of JJ Watt's prime but they chose the wrong offseason to make these moves imo.

When the Texans traded up I thought they would be taking Josh Docston of TCU. He makes a heck of a lot more sense for the #2 WR. Instead they took the speedster. I do agree I think they went all in but did it for some pretty mediocre players and then didn't seem to evaluate those players very well to fit the system. Such as Osweiler's biggest problem with the Broncos was his deep ball. He was down right terrible at throwing it deep but then you go and draft a bunch of guys who are more known as deep threats than those who are great route runners and can take those 5-10 yard passes for big gains. Just doesn't seem like a great matching of talent.

Honestly beyond the Broncos the Texans are maybe the team I am most interested in to see how they do. I will give them a thumbs up for adding Lamar Miller as I think he was vastly underrated and underused when with Miami.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy started 7 games. Not like he had a whole lot of time to show whether he's a big money QB or not. Way too soon to tell if he's gonna live up to the hype of a 2nd round pick or not.

It goes beyond that though. I've gone to training camp and watched this guy and honestly nothing he did stuck out to me. He looked like a guy that struggled with many of the same issues he had as a rookie. Heck there were reports that he got outplayed during camp by Siemian last year on quite a few days of training camp. I do agree 7 games is not long enough to evaluate the guy and maybe he becomes more with the Texans but I see his ceiling as being an above average starter in this league. Not really what you want for paying $18 million a year for.