• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Ten Greatest Stadiums in College Football History

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how Clemson is popping up on these all time lists all of a sudden :think:

Everybody keeps telling me that history begins on whatever date is convenient to them ... therefore Clemson has claim to the greatest team and the greatest stadium where they have never lost a game!!

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted him to see that thread. :)
That isnt how it works, just because you have someone on ignore doesnt mean they dont see what you write, it means you dont see what they write....

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted him to see that thread. :)

Is that what you think ignore does?

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how Clemson is popping up on these all time lists all of a sudden :think:

You're just mad because we're you but stronger. We've got a lake, better academics, better traditions, and are now better at football. And apparently a better stadium.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit list...The Rose Bowl is a great place to see the Rose Bowl...the other 6 or 7 games are bullshit. The only thing Michigan has going for it is you get to watch the game with 100,000 other people that don't care about the game. I'm ok with the rest of it, except for Florida...that ain't what it used to be.

For Alabama, I like playing at Tiger Stadium...good atmosphere, intense, good food, awesome time. Hate playing at Neyland...fucking Rocky Top....ugh.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw the name of stadium #9, I had no idea what school it was... but I did think of this:

tumblr_inline_oab905vknM1shx9h6_1280.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit list...The Rose Bowl is a great place to see the Rose Bowl...the other 6 or 7 games are bullshit. The only thing Michigan has going for it is you get to watch the game with 100,000 other people that don't care about the game. I'm ok with the rest of it, except for Florida...that ain't what it used to be.

For Alabama, I like playing at Tiger Stadium...good atmosphere, intense, good food, awesome time. Hate playing at Neyland...fucking Rocky Top....ugh.
Right, the fans are better in southern stadiums; no question. I think it's hard to argue against the coolness of Michigan stadium.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stadium is great. The fans being quiet too much kinda sucks.
They did improve it with recently but even with the additions it's far rom 2nd.
Michigan men keep their composure and give a harty hazaa for their team. :D

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
te
I've been to 9/10 of this list for a game(s) + a walk through @ Clemson. Here are my thoughts:

01. Rose Bowl: Love the Stadium and the setting, especially on NYD. Tailgating on the Gold Course is California Cool.

Best Game: 2010 Rose Bowl Game between Ohio State and Oregon. A perfect CFB Day. Should be bottled and sold.

Worst Game: 2003 Illinois 3 @ UCLA 6. That was one of the worst games I have ever been to in person, and I went to Iowa State during the Walden Error!

02. Michigan Stadium: Biggest complaint is the restroom engineering. Just awful. But it is the B1G House!

Best Game: 1991 vs. Florida State. Just a glorious day with talent all over the field for both teams. I saw two future Heisman Winners that day! Desmond Howard doing his thing in his year + Charlie Ward punting for the Seminoles + he threw a pass on a trick play, IIRC?

Worst Game: 2008 Northwestern Game. It was a cold, wet, nasty day on the first day of hunting season in Rich Rod's first season. There is no way 100,000 were there that day. On my row alone, there were many missing in action. The result was good (Northwestern won 21-14), but I was not dressed appropriately for the game and suffered until I left and listened to the end of the game on the radio back to my hotel in Southfield.

03. Notre Dame: Friendliest place I have ever been to a game in person. They literally bend over backwards with the "Welcome to Notre Dame Stadium" stuff.

Best Game: 2015 vs. Southern California. Only complaint was that it was a night game, and this game should always be played int h afternoon!

Worst Game: 1996 vs. Rutgers. Great day in the stadium, but it was a blowout. I saw Paul Hornung though!

04. LSU: The ONLY place in CFB that I approve for a Night Game! Terrible place for a Day Game.

Best Game: 1982 vs. Florida State in the "Orange Bowl" Game. Winner of the late November Game was going to the Orange Bowl to lay Nebraska, and every time LSU scored, the oranges were flying! Made the front page f the New York Times the following day.

Worst Game: 1984 vs. Wichita State. It was so awful, the Shockers ended up dropping football. LOL. I kid, I kid.

05. Ohio State: Best place in CFB for a Day Game!

Best: The California Game in 2012 was a lot of fun. Ohio State continued their march to 12-0 in Urban Meyer's first season due in part to their stellar FG defense (Cal missed a bunch of 'em).

Worst: Purdue in 2010. Payback is a bitch, and the Buckeyes paid the Boilermakers back for upsetting them the previous year @ Purdue. It was UGLY. I think it was 49-0 at the half!

06. Clemson: Walk through only in the Summer of 2015. Beautiful Campus and looks like a cool place to go to a game. On my "To Do" list!

07. Husky Stadium @ Washington: Only game was the 1992 victory over Southern California. I had a great time and love the Stadium and Campus.

08. Neyland @ Tennessee: Only game was the 2012 game vs. Alabama. I thought the place was GREAT, especially with the extra leg room in the 2nd half!

09. The Swamp @ Florida: H-O-T hot for both games!

Best: 1997 Florida Upset of #1 FSU. Yikes! The Gator fans were literally dancing in the streets after the win. A Classic Game wiht a tragic result.

Worst: 1984 LSU 21 @ Florida 21: The top 2 teams in the SEC played to a draw that day. So, so hot, especially 3 rows up from the artificial turf which had to be 120 + on a hot, humid 100 F day!

10. Beaver Stadium @ Penn State:

Best: Watching Tim Dwight of Iowa beat Penn State 21-20 from the Penn State Student Section. After the game, Hayden Fry said: "It's a Happy Hawkeye Valley"! No Iowa fan here, but I rooted for them (not openly) that day.

Worst: Same game, but the weather sucked! I was cold. It was rainy. It was the Hawkeyes! lol. I was visiting a friend, so we had to stay until the very end, as he will never leave a game early. Best memory of the day was getting back to my friend's apt.!

That's all folks!

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70,000????

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
It won't ever reach 100k and it's entirely about that view. They won't wall off the open end zone and remove the view of lake washington and mount rainier.

As designed it's still as loud as 100k seat stadiums with more than 70% of seats from end zone to end zone and the roof system that reflects sound back toward the playing surface.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't ever reach 100k and it's entirely about that view. They won't wall off the open end zone and remove the view of lake washington and mount rainier.

As designed it's still as loud as 100k seat stadiums with more than 70% of seats from end zone to end zone and the roof system that reflects sound back toward the playing surface.
That is a good thing! 70,000 is a perfect size for a CFB Stadium. I liked it when I visited in 1992, and I look forward to going back for another visit to see the face-lift.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soon as I clicked on the link....there it was....

cfb-150-stadiums.png

Yes sir! Any questions?

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just spent 28 million on the locker room....