• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Teach Me Baseball Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, the title isn’t the best because I don’t actually expect to be taught baseball. However, I do have a question they did not know where to place it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh Hader’s team was up 1 to 0 in the eighth inning and he would need to get four more outs. He did not make himself available to it because he cited the long season. They also have to win five out of of the last six games to make the playoffs. They lost the game that he refused to enter and so now would have to win the rest of the games in order to qualify. He said it wasn’t an postseason choice because they weren’t in playoff qualifying situation. Being that realistic to say that you’re not going to win five out of six games is not a good sports attitude, even though it’s likely (or maybe he didn’t know there was a chance). But that’s not my question.

I am used to basketball which has 82 games and players lament how long the season is all the time. Baseball has 162 games which is obviously almost double, but pitchers don’t play every game. He is appeared in 57 games and has not relieved more than three outs since 2020.

TLDR: Do you think that this is a reasonable unavailability? Is 57 games a lot when it’s in the context of not being full games? Is not coming in because you fear an injury pitching reasonable because it was unlikely to make the postseason (meaningless game)?

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kid just got picked up by a travel team a few weeks ago and I'm learning all kinds of shit that I had never really thought about before.

What's up?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh Hader’s team was up 1 to 0 in the eighth inning and he would need to get four more outs. He did not make himself available to it because he cited the long season. They also have to win five out of of the last six games to make the playoffs. They lost the game that he refused to enter and so now would have to win the rest of the games in order to qualify. He said it wasn’t an postseason choice because they weren’t in playoff qualifying situation. Being that realistic to say that you’re not going to win five out of six games is not a good sports attitude, even though it’s likely (or maybe he didn’t know there was a chance). But that’s not my question.

I am used to basketball which has 82 games and players lament how long the season is all the time. Baseball has 162 games which is obviously almost double, but pitchers don’t play every game. He is appeared in 57 games and has not relieved more than three outs since 2020.

TLDR: Do you think that this is a reasonable unavailability? Is 57 games a lot when it’s in the context of not being full games? Is not coming in because you fear an injury pitching reasonable because it was unlikely to make the postseason (meaningless game)?

Part of it depends on his usage before that game

It’s rare for guys to throw more than b2b days as an example

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is unreasonable since he just had sat and Sunday off

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's an entitled asshole.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's crazy. He's a fucking douche. Not very much of a team player.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking forward to teaching someone baseball

Not that I'm overly qualified or anything but I was also looking forward to discussing the nuances of the game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking forward to teaching someone baseball
Not that I'm overly qualified or anything but I was also looking forward to discussing the nuances of the game.

I do have a lot to learn, so if you don’t mind from time to time, I might post in this thread questions about the nuances. Hopefully, they’re not too basic.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a lot to learn, so if you don’t mind from time to time, I might post in this thread questions about the nuances. Hopefully, they’re not too basic.

Always welcome

Nothing is too basic

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hader’s team traded him last year, during a pennant chase.

Not to make the team better, to get him off their team.

San Diego seems to have collected a lot of “me” guys. And aren’t getting much back in return.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have put him in in the 8th and told him to get the last out and the first 2 outs in the 9th then let someone else get the save.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second thing you must learn is " we need to hear a little chatter out there" swing batter batter, swing!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like relievers should be conditioned for multiple roles.