• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Teach Me Baseball Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a friend who thought you always had to tag the runner to get them out and so when someone hit the ball and the first baseman didn‘t tag him but touched the base, it would annoy him. He thought it was stupid how they just assumed that the first baseman would be able to tag the player because he thought that was just an assumption.

In elementary school, I had a classmate who had played rugby a lot from where he was from and so every once in a while, he would pick up an incomplete ball and start running when we played football.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In JV high school, I had a teammate who swung and missed at a 3rd strike, but the catcher missed catching the ball. We all yelled run to him and he got confused, and ran as fast as he could back to the dugout!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pitching in a game and there was a guy on second base- i used the inside pick off move and the umpire did not know what it is and called a balk. I tried to explain it to him but to no avail. This was in high school.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should a team be able to decline a balk like football can decline a penalty? Or is it the same as how you cannot decline an intentional walk or a hit by baseball? I don’t want emphasize the word “intentional” because then obviously there’s going to be some gamesmanship or pretending like it was an accident. You’re either balking or you’re not and if you are, should they be able to decline?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should a team be able to decline a balk like football can decline a penalty? Or is it the same as how you cannot decline an intentional walk or a hit by baseball? I don’t want emphasize the word “intentional” because then obviously there’s going to be some gamesmanship or pretending like it was an accident. You’re either balking or you’re not and if you are, should they be able to decline?

Correct. You can’t decline it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. You can’t decline it.

Someone was arguing that they should allow a team to decline it. Would that be a good or bad option? On one hand, it’s a smart play to avoid signs from being stolen with the minimal or absent negative of advancing a man on base. On the other hand, the advance is a benefit to the offense that one might say they should be able to refuse. It sounds like a loophole but it could just be strategy and not all loopholes have to be closed.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone was arguing that they should allow a team to decline it. Would that be a good or bad option? On one hand, it’s a smart play to avoid signs from being stolen with the minimal or absent negative of advancing a man on base. On the other hand, the advance is a benefit to the offense that one might say they should be able to refuse. It sounds like a loophole but it could just be strategy and not all loopholes have to be closed.
Yeah I don’t like it. If the defense is willing to sacrifice the base in exchange for assurance that it’s more difficult to steal a sign I say allow them to do it. I mean the reason for declining would be to attempt to steal signs which is frowned upon already.