• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Salary Cap....Good News?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 27-year-old Johnson is a good defensive end with plenty of good years left in him, but his sack total declined from 11.5 in 2012 to 3.5 in 2013, and it sounds like the Bengals will decide that they don’t want to spend the kind of money it would take to keep him around for 2014.

********PER PRO FOOTBALL TALK**********

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are only looking for people to agree with you?

:lol I certainly dont Somebody finally agrees w/ me? Thanks Cali.:suds:
But we could afford Johnson and a couple other FAs. Of course that would mean cutting Pep & restructuring Jay's salary in to bonus money. The only gamble there is betting Jay stays healthy.
I really think all we need is a Johnson and safety in FA . The draft could fill the rest of the D deficiencies.
@ 14 we most likely have a shot at the best DT ,CB, or safety. I think a trade down is in the books. Lots of talent on the D side in this draft. You don't always have to get the best player. But need few good 1s.

Who didn't agree with you about johnsons abilities? I just pointed facts on his play. I certainly don't agree with the notion that all we need is Johnson and a safety in free agency......who the hell is gonna play cornerback opposite Jennings? Do you really want a rookie playing against Megatron and Aaron Rodgers? who is your middle linebacker? . Offensive center? Back up center? Backups all over the place?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. It’s the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year. The issue though is the mechanism by which this works.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole point of the june 1 date was supposed to be to open up cap dollars for your incoming draft class.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the whole point of the june 1 date was supposed to be to open up cap dollars for your incoming draft class.

I'm not an expert on the nuances of the CBA negotiation, but I'm not under that impression. In fact, I thought one of the whole points of the CBA was to sort of standardize and control the draft class costs under the cap to some more predictable, smaller manner. I think leo is right on this one.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been reading alot of articles, I dont usually like to trust Wikipedia, but the main reason they allowed deferring payment was to make sure teams had money to sign their draft picks. If a team fills its salary cap with free agents, there would be no way they can sign their draft choices and stay under the cap, so the deferring half the payment for an entire year was the rule put in place so teams would wait til june 1 when their draft picks are closing in on having to be signed. The thought process being, you cut a veteran and use that money to pay the new draft kid.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unles of course you have enough money to already pay them.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I have been reading alot of articles, I dont usually like to trust Wikipedia, but the main reason they allowed deferring payment was to make sure teams had money to sign their draft picks. If a team fills its salary cap with free agents, there would be no way they can sign their draft choices and stay under the cap, so the deferring half the payment for an entire year was the rule put in place so teams would wait til june 1 when their draft picks are closing in on having to be signed. The thought process being, you cut a veteran and use that money to pay the new draft kid.

Again, someone else maybe knows more, but that was definitely not my understanding, and I personally wouldn't trust Wiki with something like this. Maybe I am wrong. But as far as I understand it, the picks cost what the picks cost, the new CBA firmed that all up, and no normal team is going to not sign it's draft picks since they are the cheapest guys on the roster. Maybe the excuse was signing draft picks, I don't know, but to me that doesn't pass the smell test. You are going to spend $5 mil or so on your picks and that's just all there is to it. The real question to me seems to be free agency.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who didn't agree with you about johnsons abilities? I just pointed facts on his play. I certainly don't agree with the notion that all we need is Johnson and a safety in free agency......who the hell is gonna play cornerback opposite Jennings? Do you really want a rookie playing against Megatron and Aaron Rodgers? who is your middle linebacker? . Offensive center? Back up center? Backups all over the place?

JMO. Getting a little touchy . Gilbert would be fine choice to replace Peanut. If a CB is what you want. Pryor(spelling?) if you want a safety. Jernigan if you want a DT. Though I'd love to see Nix line up next to Ratliff (if he's resigned).
Hopefully DJ gets resigned for MLB
Garza has been resigned w/Boggs as his backup in the fold.
Yeah, it's pretty much a wish list. And isn't it the time of year to proclaim your wishes.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Johnson is on the Bears defensive line. .....who gets double teamed? 3.5 sacks the whole season and made $11+ million dollar and will be asking for the same or more?????? How can that possibly help a team that needs 24 players just to make a roster??????? Might as well trade up for the #1 pick if we are playing the wishing game.... 24 players taking up 12 million in cap space and they are not even on the roster. .........we need more draft picks

The sky is falling .:lol:
We have the best cap guru working for us.
Just think the Bears have a plan in place.
I believe they'll have a 53 man roster (under the cap) , when the season starts.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course they will have a full roster.

The sky is falling .:lol:
We have the best cap guru working for us.
Just think the Bears have a plan in place.
I believe they'll have a 53 man roster (under the cap) , when the season starts.

Best cap guru is a stretch....

Of course they have a plan..good or bad ...its a plan

They have to have a 53 man roster when the season starts....it is the rules....

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
living in a wonder land

JMO. Getting a little touchy . Gilbert would be fine choice to replace Peanut. If a CB is what you want. Pryor(spelling?) if you want a safety. Jernigan if you want a DT. Though I'd love to see Nix line up next to Ratliff (if he's resigned).
Hopefully DJ gets resigned for MLB
Garza has been resigned w/Boggs as his backup in the fold.
Yeah, it's pretty much a wish list. And isn't it the time of year to proclaim your wishes.

Gilbert by all accounts will not be there at 14.

Jernigan will be there at 20-25

Nix maybe there rather as well.......

Highly doubtful but not unrealistic that DJ is back.......he wants to be paid

Wishes? I wish for the best players at every position. ...is it gonna happen. Nope........be realistic or start a wish list threa.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it....might as well sign Jimmy Graham along with Johnson and Bennet.......and trade up for a higher draft pick. Sign t.j. ward and Jarvis Byrd. Get Hardy from Carolina. .....get orakpo. Sign the best punter available. Plus we have no long snapper.......after tgat we need 13 players just to fill out the roster.......what about camp competition? My goodness this is gonna be easy

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best cap guru is a stretch....

Of course they have a plan..good or bad ...its a plan

They have to have a 53 man roster when the season starts....it is the rules....

:scratch:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson made 11 mil last season......he will ask for that as a minimum.
Bennett made 4.8 mil last season...... he may ask for double that

Free agents get overpaid. .....Bennett had 8.5 sacks , Johnson had 3.5....Bennett would love to come here Johnson would be coming for the money

he would?.............And you know this how?

I really don`t think he would cause his team is a dominate defensive team that definetley has a legit shot at winning the SB again.
i highl doubt he would want to come here...........

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Atkins........I would rather have a cheaper player in Bennet who can actually sack the QB, than a over paid DE that can't sack the QB.

I think weneed to worry more about stopping the run than sacks.....

We gave up 161 yds per game rushing.i`m afraid to look to see were that compares to rest of the bottom feeders the last five years.............Thats horrendous.

Our passing defense is better than our run D by a longshot...............So right now I`m not worried about a sack artist.Give me someone who can stuff the run.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

We gave up 161 yds per game rushing.i`m afraid to look to see were that compares to rest of the bottom feeders the last five years.............Thats horrendous.

Our passing defense is better than our run D by a longshot...............So right now I`m not worried about a sack artist.Give me someone who can stuff the run.

Pressure on the QB is key to any great defense.......tell me how many pressures, QB hits, or sack did we have in the Detroit game in Chicago last year........How many sack did the team gave last year? our pass defense was only better because teams didn't have to pass....

C

cubzzzfanincali

x2. The Bear defense's main problem right now is run defense.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pressure on the QB is key to any great defense.......tell me how many pressures, QB hits, or sack did we have in the Detroit game in Chicago last year........How many sack did the team gave last year? our pass defense was only better because teams didn't have to pass....

So why would we not want to change this?............Simple thinking if you ask me.

And as far as you not wanting Michael Johnson from cincy:

3) Michael Johnson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals: Johnson's sacks took a dip in 2013, but disruption still counts as production. In addition to providing stout run defense, Johnson was among the leading defensive ends in batted passes and quarter hurries.

He is rated as the third top free agent.(accordingt to NFL.com)

I`m like 63...........I think he would be a great acquisition........:nod: