• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Salary Cap....Good News?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap has an additional 7 million added to it.....helps out but it also helps out our rivals:omg:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 7 mil. improves our D. I don't give a shit how it affects our rivals.:lol:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
improve indeed.

If the 7 mil. improves our D. I don't give a shit how it affects our rivals.:lol:

How it is used is the key. We need to get younger without sacrificing veteran leadership. We need a lot of players just to fill out the roster. We need to avoid bad contracts if possible.

:suds:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes, that may make it possible for Seattle to hold on to Bennett.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How it is used is the key. We need to get younger without sacrificing veteran leadership. We need a lot of players just to fill out the roster. We need to avoid bad contracts if possible.

:suds:

:agree: But vet leadership is not really a concern of mine. Briggs is still under contract on the D side.
Getting good players is.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets think this through

Would rather have Micheal Johnson from Cincy.

Johnson made 11 mil last season......he will ask for that as a minimum.
Bennett made 4.8 mil last season...... he may ask for double that

Free agents get overpaid. .....Bennett had 8.5 sacks , Johnson had 3.5....Bennett would love to come here Johnson would be coming for the money

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson made 11 mil last season......he will ask for that as a minimum.
Bennett made 4.8 mil last season...... he may ask for double that

Free agents get overpaid. .....Bennett had 8.5 sacks , Johnson had 3.5....Bennett would love to come here Johnson would be coming for the money

Just think Bennet looked good because of the players around him. Especially the DBs.
Johnson on the other hand made his DBs look good.
Yes, he had help on that D-line . But football is a team sport.
Johnson won't resurrect our Bears by himself. But I think he'd be a much better option than Bennet. Even if we have to over pay.
I look at D-line consisting of Johnson LDE, Ratliff LDT, Jernigan RDT , Wooton RDE. That would be pretty imposing.
Fuck being cheap. This D could be fixed in 1 year.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you need to get your head out of your ass.

Just think Bennet looked good because of the players around him. Especially the DBs.
Yes, he had help on that D-line . But football is a team sport.
Johnson won't resurrect our Bears by himself. But I think he'd be a much better option than Bennet. Even if we have to over pay.
I look at D-line consisting of Johnson LDE, Ratliff LDT, Jernigan RDT , Wooton RDE. That would be pretty imposing.
Fuck being cheap. This Defense could be fixed in 1 year.

Its not being cheap........think about this for a second.........if you as a GM sign Johnson......you eliminate a lot of other free agent veterans. We have 29 players on the team.....We need 24 more to fill out the rooster.........minimum of 7 from the draft.........hopefully they all make the team but you never know. So now that leaves 17 more players needed to fill out the roster ........say you sign 5 free agents......that leaves 12 more players.........this will come from where????? Undrafted players????? FREE AGENT LEFTOVERS? Signing over priced free agents simply wont help no matter what our cap. Emery has a lot of work ahead of him.....its fun to dream about all these top free agents but quantity is the key here

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think about what you are saying

:omg:

Johnson was not the same player after Geno Smith was injured....3.5 sacks. He is not a peppers type player but will ge over paid by some team.... time to start thinking sensibly and realize we need a lot of players to fill out this roster.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subtract 2 from the 29. And the other numbers.....we signed a center and a safety.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:omg:

Johnson was not the same player after Geno Smith was injured....3.5 sacks. He is not a peppers type player but will ge over paid by some team.... time to start thinking sensibly and realize we need a lot of players to fill out this roster.

I think you mean Atkins.
Not too many guys manhandled Bushrod like Johnson did. Even w/ the quick throws the Bears used vs Cincy.
Cap room can be managed w/ alterations to Jay's and Pep's contracts.
I expect most of the 20 something players will be signed for minimum contracts.
But would like to see the DL get younger & better.
I don't think Bennet is in Johnson's class . JMO. Hence the cheaper.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8.5 sacks compared to 3.5 sacks

I think you mean Atkins.
I don't think Bennet is in Johnson's class . JMO. Hence the cheaper.

Yes Atkins........I would rather have a cheaper player in Bennet who can actually sack the QB, than a over paid DE that can't sack the QB.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson had 2 games with a half a sack in the last 7 games including the playoffs......is that really what the Bears need when there are so many holes on the defensive line? WE NEED PLAYERS.......

C

cubzzzfanincali

Yes Atkins........I would rather have a cheaper player in Bennet who can actually sack the QB, than a over paid DE that can't sack the QB.

I don't agree with this at all. I'm actually opposed to signing either one of them, but if we had to sign one, the guy to sign would be Johnson. He has a proven, much higher ceiling than Bennett, and just in watching him (when he was healthy), there's just no comparison. Johnson is far more athletic in my eyes. Your whole criticism of Johnson is that when Atkins went out his production went down, I actually think that wasn't a coincidence, teams chose to double team him a lot more. NFL coaches deemed him to be the top threat on the line, and adjusted. Bennett saw very few double teams, because there are better pass rushers than Bennett on Seattle, and he simply benefitted and took the spoils.

Johnson is the better pass rusher. And even though Bennett will get his Super Bowl premium price, some team somewhere will give Johnson the higher contract because he is the better player.

That being said, we don't have the money to go after a top level DE. I've said this time and time again: the Bears roster has too many holes, we need too many guys, we can't sign one guy and then have scrubs everywhere else. In fact the whole POINT of cutting Peppers is to be able to sign two solid guys and not run into D line depth problems yet again.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for proving my point

Your whole criticism of Johnson is that when Atkins went out his production went down, I actually think that wasn't a coincidence, teams chose to double team him a lot more. NFL coaches deemed him to be the top threat on the line, and adjusted. Bennett saw very few double teams, because there are better pass rushers than Bennett on Seattle, and he simply benefitted and took the spoils....

My point exactly we can't afford either. We all want the best free agents but it is just not feasible. If Johnson came here he would be double teamed and rendered useless. ...........we have 24 players basically taking up 12 mil in cap space and they arent even on the roster.......we need players.. trade down in the first rd get a couple extra picks........not sure how else to do it.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with this at all. I'm actually opposed to signing either one of them, but if we had to sign one, the guy to sign would be Johnson. He has a proven, much higher ceiling than Bennett, and just in watching him (when he was healthy), there's just no comparison. Johnson is far more athletic in my eyes. Your whole criticism of Johnson is that when Atkins went out his production went down, I actually think that wasn't a coincidence, teams chose to double team him a lot more. NFL coaches deemed him to be the top threat on the line, and adjusted. Bennett saw very few double teams, because there are better pass rushers than Bennett on Seattle, and he simply benefitted and took the spoils.

Johnson is the better pass rusher. And even though Bennett will get his Super Bowl premium price, some team somewhere will give Johnson the higher contract because he is the better player.

That being said, we don't have the money to go after a top level DE. I've said this time and time again: the Bears roster has too many holes, we need too many guys, we can't sign one guy and then have scrubs everywhere else. In fact the whole POINT of cutting Peppers is to be able to sign two solid guys and not run into D line depth problems yet again.

:lol: Somebody finally agrees w/ me? Thanks Cali.:suds:
But we could afford Johnson and a couple other FAs. Of course that would mean cutting Pep & restructuring Jay's salary in to bonus money. The only gamble there is betting Jay stays healthy.
I really think all we need is a Johnson and safety in FA . The draft could fill the rest of the D deficiencies.
@ 14 we most likely have a shot at the best DT ,CB, or safety. I think a trade down is in the books. Lots of talent on the D side in this draft. You don't always have to get the best player. But need few good 1s.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Johnson is on the Bears defensive line. .....who gets double teamed? 3.5 sacks the whole season and made $11+ million dollar and will be asking for the same or more?????? How can that possibly help a team that needs 24 players just to make a roster??????? Might as well trade up for the #1 pick if we are playing the wishing game.... 24 players taking up 12 million in cap space and they are not even on the roster. .........we need more draft picks

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you have to think about the future......Freaking Cooper from Philly got 25 mil for 5 years.....how much do you think Alston is gonna get.....especially if he has a better season than last year?????