• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The return of Jeff Banister! Pirates at Rangers 04/30-05/01

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his question and answer column today, TR Sullivan seems to think the rebuilding plan is to be scrapped because of our offense. He says, " The Rangers need to keep the pitching they have and not trade them for Class A prospects who are three years away. The Rangers need to find creative or financially acceptable ways to bolster the pitching."

He is usually plugged in to what the team is thinking, but I sure hope this is an exception. If the rebuilding is to be scrapped now, then it was a mistake to begin it. Pick a plan and work it out in its entirety.

I don’t mind seeing them go for a wildcard this year. We’re scoring more runs then almost any other team. With that said, we can’t keep trading our prospects for these mediocre (or worse) players at the deadline like lucroy then turn around and complain about nobody developing down there.

I wasn’t looking forward to the day that pence, Santana, and minor are traded because after the Darvish / hamels trades, I don’t trust this front office to get good value in return.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t mind seeing them go for a wildcard this year. We’re scoring more runs then almost any other team. With that said, we can’t keep trading our prospects for these mediocre (or worse) players at the deadline like lucroy then turn around and complain about nobody developing down there.

I wasn’t looking forward to the day that pence, Santana, and minor are traded because after the Darvish / hamels trades, I don’t trust this front office to get good value in return.

Going for a wildcard is beyond stupid, its that philosophy that got us in trouble to begin with (signing and trading for players that didn't really push the needle much, making moves for the sake of making moves, looking for a spark)

where this team is, its better to cut bait and get some prospects in return especially if they're for players that won't be here in 2 years anyway... which minus the young guys is every veteran on this team and even some of those guys might not be here

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going for a wildcard is beyond stupid, its that philosophy that got us in trouble to begin with (signing and trading for players that didn't really push the needle much, making moves for the sake of making moves, looking for a spark)

where this team is, its better to cut bait and get some prospects in return especially if they're for players that won't be here in 2 years anyway... which minus the young guys is every veteran on this team and even some of those guys might not be here
Backing out now is unimaginable. Back the process and stick with the rebuild. We can't compete anyway without picking up expensive FA and waving them good bye the next year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would/will have a HUGE problem with going for a WC position this season. If it works out where we do indeed earn ourselves the opportunity, then so-be-it. But that should NOT be our goal.

As far as Darvish is concerned I think most don't see him being moved the way I did. Frankly, I didn't give a big crap what we got for him in return. OK, that's a tad overstated......But my point is, by getting rid of him it kept us from totally screwing-the-pooch and giving this guy a huge contract for a decade, and thus putting us in the 'cat-bird-seat' of a Choo type contract which hamstrings our organization yet again. Sometimes we need to protect ourselves from ourselves.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would/will have a HUGE problem with going for a WC position this season. If it works out where we do indeed earn ourselves the opportunity, then so-be-it. But that should NOT be our goal.

As far as Darvish is concerned I think most don't see him being moved the way I did. Frankly, I didn't give a big crap what we got for him in return. OK, that's a tad overstated......But my point is, by getting rid of him it kept us from totally screwing-the-pooch and giving this guy a huge contract for a decade, and thus putting us in the 'cat-bird-seat' of a Choo type contract which hamstrings our organization yet again. Sometimes we need to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Love it. Saving the pooch.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, we'll never get over the hump the way pitching is throughout the organization now or in the future... only hope for that to take place is to hit on a couple of our young pitchers and then maintaining that pipeline of young pitchers when others leave due to free agency or are lost due to injury... or just don't pan out

You can survive if you know how to draft and evaluate and develop pitchers and let them go via trade or free agency, as long as you make the proper decisions

My translation on this they have minimal urgency to move Minor.
They want a legit opening day pitcher and instead of buying he may fit the bill

I really doubt this means they have any intention to buy- especially one year rentals come ASB.

However still would not be surprised if performance warrants expiring contracts to be moved.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you do in trading a guy like Minor is to continue to make your prospect list deeper. If they trade Minor and Lynn for a couple of A level guys like TR dismissed, then when we are ready to compete those prospects we get for Minor and/or Lynn could be ready to be traded for the missing piece. It is a good thing we had enough guys to trade for Cliff Lee, because unlike Lucroy or Hamels, Lee was the final piece we needed to go to a WS.

Never stop taking advantage of opportunities to build up the farm, even of it means missing a chance to compete for the Fools Gold that is the second wildcard.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My translation on this they have minimal urgency to move Minor.
They want a legit opening day pitcher and instead of buying he may fit the bill

I really doubt this means they have any intention to buy- especially one year rentals come ASB.

However still would not be surprised if performance warrants expiring contracts to be moved.
I can guarantee you, Opening Day will be sold out even if Matt Moore pitches. lol

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eph.....If you get this, 'your take on what this site was vs what it is, is right on.'

But by all means, let the show continue. ha ha ha

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can guarantee you, Opening Day will be sold out even if Matt Moore pitches. lol

Sometimes it is about perception. I think they want to start next season not projected as odds on favorite to finish last or next to last. How they handle CF is very interesting to me as well as the upcoming roster moves needed.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you do in trading a guy like Minor is to continue to make your prospect list deeper. If they trade Minor and Lynn for a couple of A level guys like TR dismissed, then when we are ready to compete those prospects we get for Minor and/or Lynn could be ready to be traded for the missing piece. It is a good thing we had enough guys to trade for Cliff Lee, because unlike Lucroy or Hamels, Lee was the final piece we needed to go to a WS.

Never stop taking advantage of opportunities to build up the farm, even of it means missing a chance to compete for the Fools Gold that is the second wildcard.

I really doubt the FO is contemplating squeezing in moves in order to get a shot at #2 wild card

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand what you are saying and many times I agree. But we had some talent and it was actually a position player in Tex that got the ball rolling. In this case I will take the bird in the hand rather than the one in the bush.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying and many times I agree. But we had some talent and it was actually a position player in Tex that got the ball rolling. In this case I will take the bird in the hand rather than the one in the bush.
That bird will die in your hand before he can be used in a championship season though. He dies at the end of next year no matter whose hand he is in. Having him after next year is a different bird altogether.

Tex, himself, was once the bird in the hand too.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt the FO is contemplating squeezing in moves in order to get a shot at #2 wild card
My post was regarding them needing to deal players, not dealing for players.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes it is about perception. I think they want to start next season not projected as odds on favorite to finish last or next to last. How they handle CF is very interesting to me as well as the upcoming roster moves needed.
I want to get the perception that they have a rock solid plan to build a WS champion. I care nothing about the win column at the beginning of 2020. If playing .500 ball or worse in 2020 is a by-product of building a championship the right way then so be it. Not doing that is short-sighted and is counter productive in the long run.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind if I join you ?
One can only hope.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Phillips threw 7 shutout innings tonight. His ERA now sits at 1.14.

He may need a bigger challenge before long.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Pirates fan is lurking around here.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bird will die in your hand before he can be used in a championship season though. He dies at the end of next year no matter whose hand he is in. Having him after next year is a different bird altogether.

Tex, himself, was once the bird in the hand too.
Tex was on his way out one way or another. But like I said I can understand where you are coming from. I go back and forth on this so I am not as adamant as I am about us kicking every position player who struggles to the curb. I just think we need something here when these young guys start coming up. We cannot be completely void of pitching.