• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Remaining Games

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regular season over.

Finished 90-72 in back to back years.

Off to the playoffs....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bored til Friday:

Ichiro's worst season for hits as a Mariner (1st time around) was 184 in his final season before trade. That would be 4th this year in the majors.

He had 200+ hits in 10 of his 11 seasons (1st time around).

Pretty amazing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw this back when this went down. Pretty cool.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be excited once game 1 of the playoffs starts, but 12-8 against a bunch of 90 loss teams is all it would have taken to play these games at home. I'm honestly pretty pissed off they couldn't get it done. But I guess it's good that I at least feel something when it comes to the M's lol. Been lots of years of apathy.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle against Toronto on 2022
Have won all home games except 1
And the reverse is true for
Toronto..same...1
7 games total in 2022
Seattle 4= Toronto 3

6 games..
Seattle 4 Toronto 2..
Seattle in 2021..won 2 at Toronto.
Toronto won 1 at seattle

Not so bad last year..but this..2022
.we will see.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can 100% see Ohtani coming to Seattle if the Mariners give an equivalent offer. I don’t think the Yankees or Dodgers will be able to make him an offer Seattle can and would Ohtani make the same mistake twice of going to the lesser city in market (Mets). He wouldn’t be replacing anyone in the rotation. He is essentially the perfect player if you marry analytic nerds with old school baseball people. You get your 6 man rotation and DH.

I see why you would say they won’t spend. But in a way they kind of have to now don’t they. Not necessarily a top 5 payroll but it seems hard to justify paying Julio’s contract if they won’t spend money. To me, the Julio deal was a huge recruiting tool and then you add Castillo on top of that. Especially if players are willing to sign to the deals Julio and Castillo have, which IMO are very, very team friendly but also massively player friendly if they do what they are projected too.
I know you, me and @NWinAZ have discussed it so much it's almost like beating a dead horse, but the Mariners definitely have the financial flexibility to make it happen, but it's a matter of if ownership is going to be cheap as they have been previous off-seasons. The money they've given Robbie Ray, Julio and Castillo makes me a bit more optimistic they're now willing to spend, but the current ownership group has been cheap in just about every offseason since they took over. I could be completely misremembering, but I recall hearing some rumor that Jerry had a deal in place for Story that ownership wouldn't sign off on. Although that's looking like that's a good thing in retrospect.

Honestly if ownership cared, they are capable of having a top 5 payroll in baseball. I'm pretty sure they have been up there at least one year the previous decade. The Mariners own root sports and probably have a bigger television market than most analysis would indicate as we have the markets of Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Alaska. Revenue shouldn't be an issue as the team could charge just about whatever it wants for tickets, beer, etc with all the money in the area these days. The economic landscape of Seattle is vastly different now than it was 10 years ago with Seattle becoming a big tech-hub. The lowest salary I've seen for someone working in tech is $200k a year - but that came with $100k a year in stock options on top of that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you, me and @NWinAZ have discussed it so much it's almost like beating a dead horse, but the Mariners definitely have the financial flexibility to make it happen, but it's a matter of if ownership is going to be cheap as they have been previous off-seasons. The money they've given Robbie Ray, Julio and Castillo makes me a bit more optimistic they're now willing to spend, but the current ownership group has been cheap in just about every offseason since they took over. I could be completely misremembering, but I recall hearing some rumor that Jerry had a deal in place for Story that ownership wouldn't sign off on. Although that's looking like that's a good thing in retrospect.

Honestly if ownership cared, they are capable of having a top 5 payroll in baseball. I'm pretty sure they have been up there at least one year the previous decade. The Mariners own root sports and probably have a bigger television market than most analysis would indicate as we have the markets of Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Alaska. Revenue shouldn't be an issue as the team could charge just about whatever it wants for tickets, beer, etc with all the money in the area these days. The economic landscape of Seattle is vastly different now than it was 10 years ago with Seattle becoming a big tech-hub. The lowest salary I've seen for someone working in tech is $200k a year - but that came with $100k a year in stock options on top of that.
Sorry everyone for bumping this thread up to the top, lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your argument is why I have hated the whole Seattle is a mid market team even pre 2008 pre real “tech” Amazon was there but the pro franchises didn’t court them and if you ever read my CBS remarks when it came to the Pac 12 expansion that was the number 1 company over Disney or Fox I wanted them to team up with. God damnit the Pac 12 would be the most dominant conference in the country had they listened to my posts.

Seattle has more wealth in the metro area than anyone with a real sports market but problem with the whole Seattle “market” is they get to count the affluent areas when it is convenient but don’t with other metrics which allows for the BS middle market crap. Seattle is the only “market” right now where people are “fleeing” except they are staying in the metro area that counts by moving north or south.

Revenue from corporations isn’t an issue for the Mariners, they have had plenty of sponsorship money, their issue has been getting the average fan because corporations don’t spend the money on merchandise that the average fan does. It is the same as the Seahawks when Paul Allen bought the team where he spent millions of dollars trying to bring back the average fan with his hirings Granted he messed it up by once they got good he priced out the average fan but still. Right now the average Mariners fan is begging for a reason to come and has been proven by “big games” they sell the ballpark out and by the fan response to when they clinched where they had to force people out of TMobile.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument is why I have hated the whole Seattle is a mid market team even pre 2008 pre real “tech” Amazon was there but the pro franchises didn’t court them and if you ever read my CBS remarks when it came to the Pac 12 expansion that was the number 1 company over Disney or Fox I wanted them to team up with. God damnit the Pac 12 would be the most dominant conference in the country had they listened to my posts.

Seattle has more wealth in the metro area than anyone with a real sports market but problem with the whole Seattle “market” is they get to count the affluent areas when it is convenient but don’t with other metrics which allows for the BS middle market crap. Seattle is the only “market” right now where people are “fleeing” except they are staying in the metro area that counts by moving north or south.

Revenue from corporations isn’t an issue for the Mariners, they have had plenty of sponsorship money, their issue has been getting the average fan because corporations don’t spend the money on merchandise that the average fan does. It is the same as the Seahawks when Paul Allen bought the team where he spent millions of dollars trying to bring back the average fan with his hirings Granted he messed it up by once they got good he priced out the average fan but still. Right now the average Mariners fan is begging for a reason to come and has been proven by “big games” they sell the ballpark out and by the fan response to when they clinched where they had to force people out of TMobile.
Seattle is far from a mid market team these days. I can see that argument pre-2008, but these days that's not the case. When you look at a list of the biggest television markets, it only includes the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area. It doesn't take into consideration that there are many who tune in from Montana, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska. Sure those aren't huge markets in and of themselves, but combined it gives ROOT a very large audience. Not to mention the fact that ROOT has the rights to broadcast the Kraken games... The money is there.

I hate to say this, but there is enough money in this area that the Mariners can price gouge the fans and generate a ton of revenue when the team is successful. The fact that nose bleed tickets are selling for over $300 for the playoff game reflects that. Houston's cheapest ticket for the first game of the playoffs? Roughly $30.

Sadly, the average fan can't afford to attend games these days because of the fact that there are enough people with the disposable income in this area to pay whatever the team wants to charge. Everyone talks about how loud Lumen Field is, but I'm sure you'd agree that it was much louder back before the games cost a fortune to attend.