• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hype doesn't mean little to nothing for me. UW has been about as average as a college football team can be for the last 6 years. Are we trending up? Not yet IMO.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, 9 wins to me would mean you more or less broke even compared to last year because of the easier schedule this year. Ok, it's not THAT different, but it wouldn't be a major step forward. It's more floating forward with the tide vs actually swimming ahead.

I'll be neutral with 9, disappointed with 8, and happy with double digits.

This is college ball so I hold no delusions of expectations. Anything can and will happen. But that's where my barometer is at this point.

9 wins will be "breaking even"? Breaking even would be going from the Heart of Dallas bowl to the Holiday or Alamo bowl?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Expectations change year to year
  • and often game to game in season.
  • My satisfaction will be far more complicated
  • depend on the circumstances.
  • Particularly injuries.
  • which games won matter
  • Husky fans would take an 8 win season if one of those was against the Ducks
Now that we have all of the tHoopla Husky poster excuses in place...

Play on!

:lol:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 wins will be "breaking even"? Breaking even would be going from the Heart of Dallas bowl to the Holiday or Alamo bowl?

That's what Im saying. even if the Huskies don't win the conference but do better than last year and get a better bowl isn't that still a success?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what Im saying. even if the Huskies don't win the conference but do better than last year and get a better bowl isn't that still a success?

Well your also looking at the best opportunity for the Huskies to take the north crown in years. Huskies return the most starters and had the #1 D last year. It's football Carpe Diem time. Don't let that opportunity slip away. Go get that PAC champ trophy if you can. So I can see why some would say 9 isn't enough to call it a success. Why settle when you can go for the roses or a playoff spot which should be the goal of any PAC team.

If you can pull that off, Woof!!!!

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am seriously considering making a thread talking about how much I get under the skin of TROJAN-MAN.

As if Oregon taking over the PAC and his Trojans falling into mediocrity isn't enough. Dude is highly jelly.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your also looking at the best opportunity for the Huskies to take the north crown in years. Huskies return the most starters and had the #1 D last year. It's football Carpe Diem time. Don't let that opportunity slip away. Go get that PAC champ trophy if you can. So I can see why some would say 9 isn't enough to call it a success. Why settle when you can go for the roses or a playoff spot which should be the goal of any PAC team.

If you can pull that off, Woof!!!!
but by your own admission you arent ready to buy into the hype until they prove it on the field. so all im saying if my team went 4-5/7-6 5th in the division, 4-5/8-6 3rd in the division, 5-4/9-4 3rd in the division, 5-4/7-6 4th in the division, and 5-4/7-6 3rd in the division over the last 5 seasons and then even with all they hype going on if they finished 7-2/10-2 and 2nd in the division I would be pretty happy.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no. A successful season is just that but the goal is the CCG and Rose (or better) for every team in the conference. There's the winner and there's everyone else, the losers. For everyone else there is no joy in Mudville. Of course the gloom is deeper for those who had the best chances to win but didn't. Even going to a bowl game don't mean you're a winner anymore, losers may apply.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am seriously considering making a thread talking about how much I get under the skin of TROJAN-MAN.

As if Oregon taking over the PAC and his Trojans falling into mediocrity isn't enough. Dude is highly jelly.

Ya, but SC has always accomplished something as the lead dog in the PAC. All Oregon has done is give the stigma that the conference is weak and can't handle teams that have toughness.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well NN is sort of right and so is everyone else.

You can't be satisfied with any loss, particularly when it's a rival. Those can really stick with you even if that's your only loss.

That doesn't mean you can't acknowledge at the end of the season that at least the program is moving in the right direction with more wins than the prior year. Being 'satisfied' with that is subjective.

The reason why 9 will just be 'meh' for me is their expectations SHOULD be a fair amount higher than last year. They aren't trotting out a true freshman rookie QB this year. Their RB has a full season under his belt as well. Add the return of the most dynamic offensive weapon the team has in Ross III and you can't accept the same results as last year. You simply can't.

Now add that they didn't lose much off that defense and are in the last year that unit will be fully together. You have easily one of the top secondaries in college football. No less than 3 of them will get drafted and two will go quite high. And their MLB is one of the tops in the conference.

There is no real reason to not have higher expectations. Period. But of course injuries always impact seasons so that's why I temper those expectations.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a bit of a shocker:

4-star WDE Hunter Echols (LA, CA) has decommitted from UCLA today. He's announced that he will make his final decision at the US army all American game in January. He's one of the top10 WDE recruits for the 2017 class.

He released his full list of schools:

Tenn, Mich, ND, LSU, OU, and Nebraska.
For the PAC: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona, and Washington.

He committed to UCLA in Feb. and I chalk this one up to making the decision too soon. He could still very well end up at UCLA, but we'll see. I think he ends up at a PAC school.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well NN is sort of right and so is everyone else.

You can't be satisfied with any loss, particularly when it's a rival. Those can really stick with you even if that's your only loss.

That doesn't mean you can't acknowledge at the end of the season that at least the program is moving in the right direction with more wins than the prior year. Being 'satisfied' with that is subjective.

The reason why 9 will just be 'meh' for me is their expectations SHOULD be a fair amount higher than last year. They aren't trotting out a true freshman rookie QB this year. Their RB has a full season under his belt as well. Add the return of the most dynamic offensive weapon the team has in Ross III and you can't accept the same results as last year. You simply can't.

Now add that they didn't lose much off that defense and are in the last year that unit will be fully together. You have easily one of the top secondaries in college football. No less than 3 of them will get drafted and two will go quite high. And their MLB is one of the tops in the conference.

There is no real reason to not have higher expectations. Period. But of course injuries always impact seasons so that's why I temper those expectations.
Would you put the caveat of "if there are no major injuries" on that? If, God forbid, you lose some major pieces early would 9-3 be satisfactory?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no. A successful season is just that but the goal is the CCG and Rose (or better) for every team in the conference. There's the winner and there's everyone else, the losers. For everyone else there is no joy in Mudville. Of course the gloom is deeper for those who had the best chances to win but didn't. Even going to a bowl game don't mean you're a winner anymore, losers may apply.
SO you would be unhappy if coming off a 6-7 season with a conference record of 4-5 and a bowl loss in the Cactus Bowl if ASU went 10-2 and 7-2 in conference was only behind 1 team in the south and went to and won the Alamo Bowl after the conference champ went to playoff and runner up went to Rose?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries are no excuse

Signed every Husky fan bragging after the Apple Cup.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO you would be unhappy if coming off a 6-7 season with a conference record of 4-5 and a bowl loss in the Cactus Bowl if ASU went 10-2 and 7-2 in conference was only behind 1 team in the south and went to and won the Alamo Bowl after the conference champ went to playoff and runner up went to Rose?
"Happy", if you can use that term, I like "satisfied', is a game by game experience if your team is a rebuilder, not a re-loader. Ups an downs. Enjoy every one. Sick after a loss, but looking forward to next weekend on Monday. Look at Wazzu's earlier comment. Does he give credit to the Ducks advancing to the NCG twice? No, he criticizes OU for letting the conference down by NOT winning, not the eleven who stayed home. I agree with the Wiz: following the hype will set you up. Bowl games: There's the Rose, the rest are for losers to make a few bucks, maybe.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't take my comments out of context. I don't give Oregon credit since they have consistently been a top 5 team and done nothing with it compared to SC which is where my remarks came from. The lead dog comment is what I meant. I give Oregon a shit ton of props for humiliating Washington year after year.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you put the caveat of "if there are no major injuries" on that? If, God forbid, you lose some major pieces early would 9-3 be satisfactory?
Um, I said barring any injuries in the last line of the post you quoted. :lol:

And I've said that over and over for years. If this team doesn't win AT LEAST 9 and there aren't any massive injuries to pin it on I'll be all over that coaching staff. And that 9 doesn't include some podunk bowl victory. I mean 9 season wins. 8-4 in the season will piss me off.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I've said that over and over for years. If this team doesn't win AT LEAST 9 and there aren't any massive injuries to pin it on I'll be all over that coaching staff. And that 9 doesn't include some podunk bowl victory. I mean 9 season wins. 8-4 in the season will piss me off.
And this year, it seems things are working to make that possible. Sets you up for the best season in like ten years. Or the worst.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah missed that. I suppose that's what I get for reading and posting from work.:doh:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah missed that. I suppose that's what I get for reading and posting from work.:doh:
No worry. It's well known I can't say 'hello' in under 40 words so it's never a surprise when someone fails to make it that far in one of my posts.

:dhd:

Status
Not open for further replies.