• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't spoken to a single person out here that buys into any hype for UW. Win. That's how you prove you deserve accolades, not so-called pundits and their best guesses in the long off season.

There are no hosts on any radio station buying to the hype. Petersen refuses to say anything other than they have to win to deserve anything.

I wanted to throw up when I read Steele's piece saying UW was his dark horse for making the playoffs ffs. And there was nothing but shock on local radio here. NONE of this is coming from the NW. Not the people who call the games, not the home town reporters, and not the local sports radio heads. None of them.

And as far as WSU goes, I've already said they scare the crap out of me. Probably more than Oregon this year. Of course they have questions on defense, but that offense will destroy some teams this year. Of course it's just as likely they find a way to coug it, but they do have their odd year here and there where they light things up and this could be one of those.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as far as WSU goes, I've already said they scare the crap out of me. Probably more than Oregon this year. Of course they have questions on defense, but that offense will destroy some teams this year. Of course it's just as likely they find a way to coug it, but they do have their odd year here and there where they light things up and this could be one of those.

Agreed...I think the Cougs are going to be very good this year (and probably the most exciting team to watch in the Pac-12 on top of it). Mike Price proved that even in Pullman the right coach can succeed. Leach definitely seems to have to Cougs moving in the right direction. And I hope he keeps it up to be honest. I'd love to see the Cougars and Huskies battling it out at the top of the conference for awhile rather than the bottom.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was that UCLA should and leave USC behind
Guess you didn't read the entire article...

So, if UCLA or USC were to discuss joining the Big 12, the other school is likely going to join them in an effort to finally get the financial windfall that the Pac-12 Networks promised but has not yet delivered on.
Sticking together, also keeps either PAC or Big 12 schools out of LA's recruiting grounds.

By the way, I'm not for it nor do I think it's going to happen. Just found it interesting is all.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess you didn't read the entire article...

Sticking together, also keeps either PAC or Big 12 schools out of LA's recruiting grounds.

By the way, I'm not for it nor do I think it's going to happen. Just found it interesting is all.
No I had just seen Neuheisel saying UCLA should go be their own and not tied to the other school

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't spoken to a single person out here that buys into any hype for UW. Win. That's how you prove you deserve accolades, not so-called pundits and their best guesses in the long off season.

There are no hosts on any radio station buying to the hype. Petersen refuses to say anything other than they have to win to deserve anything.

I wanted to throw up when I read Steele's piece saying UW was his dark horse for making the playoffs ffs. And there was nothing but shock on local radio here. NONE of this is coming from the NW. Not the people who call the games, not the home town reporters, and not the local sports radio heads. None of them.

Exactly. It was nice to see some media love going our way, but until we prove it out there on the field, it's all just hot air hype. I'm not buying it till the season is over and we see how many Ws we have and what the performances looked like.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It was nice to see some media love going our way, but until we prove it out there on the field, it's all just hot air hype. I'm not buying it till the season is over and we see how many Ws we have and what the performances looked like.
Somehow I just see the Hype Train gaining steam even with the tHoop posters here should y'all go on a bit of a winning streak.

I'm thinking some of yous here punch your Hype Train ticket if them Dawgs of yours can muster a 5-0 record going into the @Oregon game.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow I just see the Hype Train gaining steam even with the tHoop posters here should y'all go on a bit of a winning streak.

I'm thinking some of yous here punch your Hype Train ticket if them Dawgs of yours can muster a 5-0 record going into the @Oregon game.

5-0 would be outstanding because that would mean we didn't choke any of the early season games we should have won well and beat Stanford this year which would be huge, but we want to claim a legit PAC N crown, we also got to beat that certain team at their house we play next. We beat Furd and Ducks this year, then we can start doing some gum flapping.

Furd and Ducks have owned the PAC N crown back and forth for a while now, until we take one ourselves, it's all media hype for our team. We got a legit shot at it in 2016, but until we prove it and seize the day, it's all hype.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-0 would be outstanding because that would mean we didn't choke any of the early season games we should have won well and beat Stanford this year which would be huge, but we want to claim a legit PAC N crown, we also got to beat that certain team at their house we play next. We beat Furd and Ducks this year, then we can start doing some gum flapping.

Furd and Ducks have owned the PAC N crown back and forth for a while now, until we take one ourselves, it's all media hype for our team. We got a legit shot at it in 2016, but until we prove it and seize the day, it's all hype.
Should y'all go 5-0, you should be excited about the initial improvement, but for me, it would still be way too early as you would only have one road win at that point. (@ Arizona)

Also, let's not forget about Utah last year, where they came out smoking (6-0 and destroying Oregon in the process) and then not only did they fail to win the Division, they were out of race for the South title before the final week of Conference play.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Utah absolutely curbstomped the Ducks in their own house last year. Duck fans were doing the walking dead zombie walk for a week in utter disbelief at what just happened. But Utah ends up losing to who mattered in the south and choked it all away down the stretch.

The season is a twelve round fight and it's tough when one or two bad rounds can cost you so much when you dominated in the others, but for us huskies, we've been beyond patient after enduring the Hedges/coach who shall not be named smoking crater and Drunk Sark keeping us stuck in the middle of the pack for his entire tenure here.

I will be utterly satisfied with a 9 W season which I think is doable. But if we win more, sweet. Of course I want to beat Stanford and Oregon this year, but right now, I'm looking at 2016 as a 12 round fight and just want to end up in 1st-4th place for the PAC when the season is finished.
A PAC12 N title would be incredible. Recruiting. Respect. It will all matter.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's a big difference between getting excited over hype, and enjoying the ride of actual wins in actual games. Huge difference.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hype doesn't really matter. It's filler into there is actual football. Nothing more.

How many years is the hype machine correct? How often do they totally bomb?

Having said that, you are only upset because it's a team you hate. If that same hype machine was even speaking up Utah or some shit, you wouldn't give nearly as much of a shit about it.
Excactly. How many times has Oregon got a bunch of hype, only to end up shitting themselves? For example...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Utah absolutely curbstomped the Ducks in their own house last year. Duck fans were doing the walking dead zombie walk for a week in utter disbelief at what just happened. But Utah ends up losing to who mattered in the south and choked it all away down the stretch.

The season is a twelve round fight and it's tough when one or two bad rounds can cost you so much when you dominated in the others, but for us huskies, we've been beyond patient after enduring the Hedges/coach who shall not be named smoking crater and Drunk Sark keeping us stuck in the middle of the pack for his entire tenure here.

I will be utterly satisfied with a 9 W season which I think is doable. But if we win more, sweet. Of course I want to beat Stanford and Oregon this year, but right now, I'm looking at 2016 as a 12 round fight and just want to end up in 1st-4th place for the PAC when the season is finished.
TBH, 9 wins to me would mean you more or less broke even compared to last year because of the easier schedule this year. Ok, it's not THAT different, but it wouldn't be a major step forward. It's more floating forward with the tide vs actually swimming ahead.

I'll be neutral with 9, disappointed with 8, and happy with double digits.

This is college ball so I hold no delusions of expectations. Anything can and will happen. But that's where my barometer is at this point.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would think if UW can finish with 9 wins and above .500 in conference and second place, (which they have not done since the split and really since 2000) then it should be considered a successful even good season even if it didn't live up to the preseason hype.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think if UW can finish with 9 wins and above .500 in conference and second place, (which they have not done since the split and really since 2000) then it should be considered a successful even good season even if it didn't live up to the preseason hype.
So with many in the media placing the ducks 3rd or even 4th in the division, are you supposed to then be satisfied with coming in 2nd? I mean that would be above the current hype right?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with many in the media placing the ducks 3rd or even 4th in the division, are you supposed to then be satisfied with coming in 2nd? I mean that would be above the current hype right?
no but for UW when was the last time they were at least 2nd in conference? when was the last time they 9 wins? when was the last time they were over .500 in conference?
expectations or hype is one thing but getting over these lines that they haven't hit in years is another.
UW and Oregon are not same right now.
UW has been the middling team that people have been waiting to get over and they think this is the year.
Oregon has been the top dog that had a good season but not up to expectations of them that people think is falling apart.
would I be happy with Oregon coming in second in the North? that depends on the overall and the conference record. 8-1 behind a 9-0 champ? 7-2 behind 9-0 or 8-1? sure. 5-4 like Stanford was in 14 not as much.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I wouldn't exactly call being picked 3rd or 4th as hype

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was telling others what should make them happy is pointless. Expectations change year to year and often game to game in season. Look at the M's this year. Started off with people just wanting to see them at least a few games over .500. They came out like gangbusters in April and May and suddenly people were expecting them to challenge for the division. Then they crapped all over themselves in June and barely tread water in July. People are back to just hoping they can finish above .500.

My satisfaction will be far more complicated and depend on the circumstances. Particularly injuries. And of course which games won matter as well. I think many Husky fans would take an 8 win season if one of those was against the Ducks vs a 10 win season and losing to them.

And the ducks being picked 3rd or 4th is part of the preseason hype machine. Others are being hyped more than your team which is why they are being all but ignored. So yeah, I'll still stick to using that terminology thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.