• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you better look for something new too. Whatever you're puffing is obviously not helping your thinking much either.

Really? You're on a chat forum for fans of college football teams to gather to talk about their chances of winning games , hopefully, conference championships ,bowl games and for some playoffs and national championships. But your take is well the eventual winner didn't play every team in the nation so it's not really the champ. Which is your right to have that opinion but the question would be then why even bother to come to this forum.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,305.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone really give a rats ass that they had the Pac12 media days event other than it means the next big thing coming will be fall camp?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you be missing the point?

Let's look at it this way, in Lane's last year at USC there was a horrible battle for the QB spot. (I remember that Hawaii game where they went back and forth to no avail)

It honestly looked bad for a while there that year until Coach O took over and named Cody the starter. Had neither stepped up AND (And that is a huge addition to this scenario) USC was and had been on the National Stage, I wouldn't of had a problem if USC went RentaQB for the next season or two if need be.

Because the expectations were not at a National level, USC was not in real need of top tier Collegiate QB play, so they were afforded to let their pipeline flourish, and it did.

BTW - Who is your QB next season....

Browne or Darnold?

It wasn't that neither steped up. The problem was Lane not picking one and going with him. I would have been fine whith who he picked letting it go past the first game was a huge coaching mistake not a QB mistake. Cody wasn't great but he was fine for the job and no way in hell would USC fans let them bring in a renta QB simply because you couldn't pick one to start.
I think Browne will get the job. He's been good but Darnold is a freak athelete and competed well.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,305.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 weeks from opening kickoff as of tomorrow morning.

But who's counting... :whistle:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,305.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita, I think you are missing the whole point. Jim and oly have been going back and forth, but it was all just because it was (correctly) said that Oregon has had some problems finding/recruiting/training or whatever, in house QB's in recent years. That's it. There is zero doubt QB is all by itself in terms of importance and the need to key on evaluating and developing that position. Nothing else is even close.

Not suggesting they shouldn't go get JC transfers or 5th year transfers or anything else. It's a sign of difficulty they have had. Two years in a row should raise a few eye brows, but maybe one of the kids in the pipeline pops this year or next spring. Many teams including UW have had their years of struggles at that position as well. It's the toughest position to find and develop.

That's all that was really said.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita, I think you are missing the whole point. Jim and oly have been going back and forth, but it was all just because it was (correctly) said that Oregon has had some problems finding/recruiting/training or whatever, in house QB's in recent years. That's it. There is zero doubt QB is all by itself in terms of importance and the need to key on evaluating and developing that position. Nothing else is even close.

Not suggesting they shouldn't go get JC transfers or 5th year transfers or anything else. It's a sign of difficulty they have had. Two years in a row should raise a few eye brows, but maybe one of the kids in the pipeline pops this year or next spring. Many teams including UW have had their years of struggles at that position as well. It's the toughest position to find and develop.

That's all that was really said.
No I get it Wiz.

Oregon has had some trouble with their QB pipeline, evident to all. Oly sticks up for his team till the cows come home and Jim wont let him off the hook.

They don't see eye to eye and you side with jim. I just think there is a little more to it then what was being discussed and put in my two cents. :2cents:

Oregon's situation has been/is a bit different since their opportunity window, at a National level exists now, if it still exists at all.

So while their QB pipeline woes may raise an eyebrow, the Ducks are not afforded to massage their QB pipeline in the same fashion of hope as most PAC teams, since they are in a win now scenario.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You're on a chat forum for fans of college football teams to gather to talk about their chances of winning games , hopefully, conference championships ,bowl games and for some playoffs and national championships. But your take is well the eventual winner didn't play every team in the nation so it's not really the champ. Which is your right to have that opinion but the question would be then why even bother to come to this forum.
Well, then, lets chat about chances of winning games, conference champs etc. That's some of the football things you haven't mentioned for weeks. In any case there is no way anyone could read my posts and arrive at your conclusions except one who is totally devoid of rational thinking. You. I couldn't care less. If you don't like my opinions, I'd say tough shit, maybe you can understand that. But they'll continue to be here in case you want to escape from your childish pet peeves.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I get it Wiz.

Oregon has had some trouble with their QB pipeline, evident to all. Oly sticks up for his team till the cows come home and Jim wont let him off the hook.

They don't see eye to eye and you side with jim. I just think there is a little more to it then what was being discussed and put in my two cents. :2cents:

Oregon's situation has been/is a bit different since their opportunity window, at a National level exists now, if it still exists at all.

So while their QB pipeline woes may raise an eyebrow, the Ducks are not afforded to massage their QB pipeline in the same fashion of hope as most PAC teams, since they are in a win now scenario.
Yes, you got it Vita and it took you almost five minutes to figure it out. Well said.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLLYWOOD, CALIF.

Huskies coach Chris Petersen said on Friday at Pac-12 media days that new consultant Jeff Tedford, the former California head coach, is “truly in it for being around us and helping us” and not angling for an assistant coaching position in the future.

In confirming Tedford’s role at UW, Petersen detailed that “he can’t coach any of the players. He can be in all of our meetings. He can look at tape. We can talk to him. We can have as many conversations in terms of all that type of stuff.”

Tedford, who worked as Oregon’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 1998-2001 -- Petersen was the Ducks’ receivers coach from 1995-2000 -- was the head coach at Cal from 2002-2012, compiling an overall record of 82-57 before being fired after posting a 3-9 record in the 2012 season.

Tedford wanted to join Washington’s staff as a consultant, Petersen said, because “he wanted to get back into college football. And there wasn’t an opportunity out there for him this year, making him a head coach or some other position like that. And he knows a lot of guys on our staff. And really, that’s what this thing’s all about, being around people that you want to be around. So both sides wanted to be around each other. He’s obviously a really good coach with a lot of knowledge and has done a lot of things, and so we feel real fortunate to get a guy like that to be able to be with us.”

Would Petersen consider him for a full-time job if an opening arises in the future?

“We’re not even there,” Petersen said. “The great thing about him, I mean, he is not here at Washington to come here to get a job from us. He’d be the first to tell you that. He gets it. And he gets how a guy like that could come and, like, upset the apple cart in terms of what his role is and all that. And there’s a lot of coaches maybe with his stature out there that maybe you could get to come aboard if they didn’t have something going, and I wouldn’t do that with a lot of people, but I know what Jeff’s all about, and I know what his heart is, and he’s truly in it for being around us and helping us, and he’s not thinking about a job here at Washington right now. He’s just thinking about being part of our deal and his role.”

The fact that UW offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith was only given a 1-year contract extension this past offseason -- every other UW assistant received a two-year extension -- “has nothing to do with” Tedford’s presence at UW, Petersen said.

“We’re very lucky that this happened,” he said. “It just happened.”

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,305.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I get it Wiz.

Every team would/should do what they need to get the arm in there to give them a chance. Just because Oregon has been on the national stage doesn't mean it changes the need to put the best player in that gives them the best chance to win. It was glaring last year that Adams was really their only arm. The other two were atrocious. It's not like they really had the option of taking their lumps with a young gun for the future vs a rent-an-arm. Adams was their only choice.

UW went young and put in a true freshman for the first time in program history. Had they had access to an Adams type maybe they don't take it and go with the kid anyway. They could have had a choice. Ducks didn't have anyone to make that choice on.

Really the only silly part of all of this was the assertion that last year was the only year they didn't have a viable QB behind Mariota. That's really the only thing I've argued with Oly about. It was clear they didn't have anything viable since they picked up MM in '11 so this goes well beyond 1 year. And I said all along that it could change this year.

Again, it's just off season banter. Nothing more. At least to me anyway. Oly knows I have respect for him.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,305.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLLYWOOD, CALIF.

Huskies coach Chris Petersen said on Friday at Pac-12 media days that new consultant Jeff Tedford, the former California head coach, is “truly in it for being around us and helping us” and not angling for an assistant coaching position in the future.

In confirming Tedford’s role at UW, Petersen detailed that “he can’t coach any of the players. He can be in all of our meetings. He can look at tape. We can talk to him. We can have as many conversations in terms of all that type of stuff.”

Tedford, who worked as Oregon’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 1998-2001 -- Petersen was the Ducks’ receivers coach from 1995-2000 -- was the head coach at Cal from 2002-2012, compiling an overall record of 82-57 before being fired after posting a 3-9 record in the 2012 season.

Tedford wanted to join Washington’s staff as a consultant, Petersen said, because “he wanted to get back into college football. And there wasn’t an opportunity out there for him this year, making him a head coach or some other position like that. And he knows a lot of guys on our staff. And really, that’s what this thing’s all about, being around people that you want to be around. So both sides wanted to be around each other. He’s obviously a really good coach with a lot of knowledge and has done a lot of things, and so we feel real fortunate to get a guy like that to be able to be with us.”

Would Petersen consider him for a full-time job if an opening arises in the future?

“We’re not even there,” Petersen said. “The great thing about him, I mean, he is not here at Washington to come here to get a job from us. He’d be the first to tell you that. He gets it. And he gets how a guy like that could come and, like, upset the apple cart in terms of what his role is and all that. And there’s a lot of coaches maybe with his stature out there that maybe you could get to come aboard if they didn’t have something going, and I wouldn’t do that with a lot of people, but I know what Jeff’s all about, and I know what his heart is, and he’s truly in it for being around us and helping us, and he’s not thinking about a job here at Washington right now. He’s just thinking about being part of our deal and his role.”

The fact that UW offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith was only given a 1-year contract extension this past offseason -- every other UW assistant received a two-year extension -- “has nothing to do with” Tedford’s presence at UW, Petersen said.

“We’re very lucky that this happened,” he said. “It just happened.”
At the very least it at least puts a fresh set of eyes on the offensive scheme and game plans. Should help mitigate any sort of shot coming we might have otherwise had in those areas. Not mentioning any names of course. :whistle:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least it at least puts a fresh set of eyes on the offensive scheme and game plans. Should help mitigate any sort of shot coming we might have otherwise had in those areas. Not mentioning any names of course. :whistle:

Yahhh. I like the fresh eyes approach to offensive planning this year. And I think it's crystal clear what's going on. There is no excuses for the offense playing like a 6 win team this year. Tedford might be looking for a HC job again, but if the Husky offense doesn't deliver, Tedford could be promoted to OC next year, and Smith either demoted or out.
Petersen has the well deserved rep of being a nice genuine guy, but when it comes to his teams staff, if you don't deliver with what you've been handed, if you underachieve, eventually you'll have to move on.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I get it Wiz.

No. They are in a Don't let my uniform marketing showcase fall out of the spotlight ( that's Uncle Phil) because i pay for all of this new shiney stuff, so they are masking their poor QB recruiting /development buy getting rentals. It's just that simple.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, then, lets chat about chances of winning games, conference champs etc. That's some of the football things you haven't mentioned for weeks. In any case there is no way anyone could read my posts and arrive at your conclusions except one who is totally devoid of rational thinking. You. I couldn't care less. If you don't like my opinions, I'd say tough shit, maybe you can understand that. But they'll continue to be here in case you want to escape from your childish pet peeves.

So the whole "artificial" PAC conference champ only means that the Pac champ didnt win it on the field because they didn't play everyone but the other conferences who also crown a champ who didn't play everyone are legit champs. And the National champion who didnt even play every playoff team let alone everyone else is the right f champ. Only in the PAC does this notion of yours apply.
Ok . Sure. Very logical

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. They are in a Don't let my uniform marketing showcase fall out of the spotlight ( that's Uncle Phil) because i pay for all of this new shiney stuff, so they are masking their poor QB recruiting /development buy getting rentals. It's just that simple.

Nailed it.

Your also starting to hear more coaches getting vocal about the abuses of the transfer rules going on. It's only a matter of time before the NCAA tightens the rules for it. Because the main culprits of the abusing are obviously,"P5 programs that have minimal academic standards and are using it to plug holes on their rosters each year to gain an advantage".

The rule shouldn't entirely go away. If a player has a year of eligibility left and can persue a masters degree at another school that he couldn't at the current one, yes, you would like to see that option available. That's where you'd like to see it applied.

But if your school is a joke at academics and your bringing in multiple 5th year transfers each year, then that shit needs to be shutdown because you know exactly what they're up too.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone really give a rats ass that they had the Pac12 media days event other than it means the next big thing coming will be fall camp?

I hate media day in a way because Larry Scott needs to be taken to the woodshed for how poorly the network is doing, officiating and not standing up to the SEC but everyone seems to have a jerk off fest with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.