• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He resides in Muttlake hands down.
Not so fast there oh self loathing fan.

Part of why that's not such a cut and dry question is UW has all of the built in advantages to recruiting and yet WSU could have a better year if they can find some defense to go with that offense no one can stop. You may not agree with Leach's methods or his personality, but to build anything that resembles a dangerous team on the Palouse is a hell of a feat.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right thats why Oregon state had such a good year last year.

Nice deflection...last year's football record versus current recruiting tactics by your school. I should expect more from you other than another disappointing discussion of facts.

So who gets the West Linn 4* O-lineman today?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of why that's not such a cut and dry question is UW has all of the built in advantages to recruiting and yet WSU could have a better year if they can find some defense to go with that offense no one can stop. You may not agree with Leach's methods or his personality, but to build anything that resembles a dangerous team on the Palouse is a hell of a feat.

Then Mike Price is the greatest coach in Pacific insert number history?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Mike Price is the greatest coach in Pacific insert number history?
He's certainly among the top. Look at the entire history of your program. He's the ONLY one that ever had them relevant. The moment he left they went back to being a total doormat. Has to put him among some of the greatest in conference history. If anyone else wants to disagree then by all means show me another coach of your school that took their team to THAT much over their prior history and had that team fall back THAT far after their departure.

In his prime he was getting some big name recruits to go to the middle of nowhere to play ball. Hell of a feat that.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with him getting big recruits, he got over looked guys who he molded into studs. Bill Doba was the only coach to ever bring in 4 and 5 star guys and it crippled the program because they were all the 4 and 5 star guys that had academic and legal trouble. Wulff literally had like 10 upperclassmen when he took over

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's certainly among the top. Look at the entire history of your program. He's the ONLY one that ever had them relevant. The moment he left they went back to being a total doormat. Has to put him among some of the greatest in conference history. If anyone else wants to disagree then by all means show me another coach of your school that took their team to THAT much over their prior history and had that team fall back THAT far after their departure.

In his prime he was getting some big name recruits to go to the middle of nowhere to play ball. Hell of a feat that.

Price was like Riley. Did a tremendous job coaching up players to build relevant programs that could compete with the PAC. Got a lot of respect for both from a pure developing and coaching perspective.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the Apple cup record since Leach and Petersen arrived?
Again, it's not a level comparison. UW had built in advantages in recruiting that WSU does not. So using the AC as a barometer would mean that if they won 50% of the time their coaches are well ahead of ours.

Leach has a more niche system. More so than Oregon really. It has taken him some time to get his kids in and build any kind of momentum.

Petersen is running systems that can take a more broad range of athletes and was able to absorb a lot of Sarks kids right away. His thing is more culture and weeding out those not fully on board.

I fully expect Petersen to excel and continue to the upward trend of this team, but don't underestimate Leach and what he's doing over there.

Neither has done enough or been there really long enough to really compare. Let's talk when either wins the north first and at least reaches the CCG.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with him getting big recruits, he got over looked guys who he molded into studs. Bill Doba was the only coach to ever bring in 4 and 5 star guys and it crippled the program because they were all the 4 and 5 star guys that had academic and legal trouble. Wulff literally had like 10 upperclassmen when he took over
Um he had at least a couple of top 25 recruiting classes and that's amazing from a small school in the middle of nowhere so I'd kind of disagree there.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said, Wiz. The answer in a nutshell.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always wondered why coaches have never been able to get players to San Diego State and build a decent program for that reason. There's a ton of talent available and you couldn't pick better weather. To get players to go to Washington State without drugging and kidnapping them is amazing.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice deflection...last year's football record versus current recruiting tactics by your school. I should expect more from you other than another disappointing discussion of facts.

So who gets the West Linn 4* O-lineman today?
West Linn 4* Alex Forsyth commits to Oregon

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... that was not named Dennis Erickson . . .
He went 3-7-1 in his first year as coach and 9-3 with a win in the Aloha bowl.

I mean yeah, it's WSU so by those standards maybe? But relevant? I wouldn't call not making any kind of threat to win the conference as qualifying, but that's me I guess.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went 3-7-1 in his first year as coach and 9-3 with a win in the Aloha bowl.

I mean yeah, it's WSU so by those standards maybe? But relevant? I wouldn't call not making any kind of threat to win the conference as qualifying, but that's me I guess.
Wrong school. My mistake.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um he had at least a couple of top 25 recruiting classes and that's amazing from a small school in the middle of nowhere so I'd kind of disagree there.

I'm not looking through the actual classes but when did Price have a top 25 class? And to piggy back off the Erickson comment, without Erickson Price doesn't have his 92 team, which means no Snow Bowl and no having the greatest team in NCAA history without a starting QB in the Posse

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not looking through the actual classes but when did Price have a top 25 class? And to piggy back off the Erickson comment, without Erickson Price doesn't have his 92 team, which means no Snow Bowl and no having the greatest team in NCAA history without a starting QB in the Posse
Late 90's I believe. Want to say '99 for sure, but I know it was around there. I remember a class where they either were ahead of UW or close to it and being concerned with that trend.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with him getting big recruits, he got over looked guys who he molded into studs.

Which shows him to be an even better coach. I think USC has had some amazing coaches throughout our history, but a coaches job becomes a whole lot easier when he's dealing with a roster full of 4 and 5 star athletes.

Mike Price never had that. He was taking rosters full of 2 and 3 star athletes and making them look like 4 and 5 star guys.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which shows him to be an even better coach. I think USC has had some amazing coaches throughout our history, but a coaches job becomes a whole lot easier when he's dealing with a roster full of 4 and 5 star athletes.

Mike Price never had that. He was taking rosters full of 2 and 3 star athletes and making them look like 4 and 5 star guys.
It's called being the right guy in the right situation at the right time. Price wasn't able to duplicate that after his days at WSU and the school obviously hasn't been able to duplicate that level of success after he left.

He did get some 4* guys toward the end of his run and had at least one top 25 classes. Much of his success came with 3* kids much the way Petersen did at Boise State.

Everyone around here is still asking the question of whether or not Petersen can do even more at a bigger school with those built in recruiting edges that can bring him higher caliber athletes. Look at the guys that came before him that had success with Boise State talent and entirely bombed going to bigger schools in bigger markets. Petersen likes his 'OKGs' and his firm level of discipline and that's one thing in a remote area with few distractions with a ton of kids that were mostly overlooked that have no real alternative to a shot at the big time except to fall in line and work their asses off. It's a whole different thing to do the same with kids that have big city distractions and talent that can allow them to excel at any school of their choosing. Hard to find enough of the talented ones willing to put their ego aside and fall in line.

Leach is one of those guys that probably couldn't ever find success in a big market school. Plenty of them around, but being able to find stable success at the small school level is still a heck of an achievement. Just hard to directly compare doing it at that level to doing it in the big markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.