• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I don't particularly like the practice, but there are a hell of a lot worse ways to abuse/skirt the rules.
Oh I did say it's just another thing to throw at duck fans because, well they're duck fans. :becky:
It's more lame than wrong and it's a lot more fun to pick on than the same old tired fare we have over and over.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bleacher Report releases a kind of too early prediction of how the first AP preseason poll will be:

But so be it.....

5 PAC teams make the Top 25.

25) WSU
Returning starters: 14
Mike Leach won nine games with Washington State last year, fueled by the top passing offense in FBS. Expect nothing different with Luke Falk back to throw the ball to a long list of receivers.

23) Washington
Returning starters: 15
Browning and Gaskin make for one of the best young offensive duos in the country, but Washington is also loaded on defense with a blend of youth and experience.

18 ) Oregon
Returning starters: 11
A second consecutive season in which the team starts a graduate transfer quarterback from the FCS ranks will contribute to Oregon's lowest preseason spot since being 21st in 2008, as will uncertainty about how former Michigan coach Brady Hoke will do handling the defense.

15) USC
Returning starters: 16
2016 will be Clay Helton's first full season in charge.
And it won't get any easier, as the Trojans open against defending national champion Alabama in Arlington, Texas. USC is already considered a heavy underdog in that game.

11) Stanford
Returning starters: 11 (Ended up 3rd in final AP ranking last year)
Replacing Kevin Hogan is key to the Cardinal being able to maintain their high level of play, but it helps when you return the most prolific all-purpose player in FBS history.

Christian McCaffrey's ability to contribute in numerous ways on offense as well as being a special teams overachiever means the Cardinal won't be lacking for explosiveness and production. He can fill a lot of holes but not all of them, which is why Stanford will be the highest-ranked Pac-12 school but will still start on the outside of the playoff discussion.

Stanford is rebuilding its offensive line and most of its defense. These areas should improve as the season goes along, but at the outset, it will mean starting outside the Top 10 despite McCaffrey's presence.

UCLA is missing, but here's their explanation for it:

UCLA Bruins (Not ranked)

UCLA was a preseason Top 15 team in both 2014 and 2015, but some costly losses kept it from being able to win the Pac-12 South Division. The Bruins are mostly starting over on offense, but because of the return of sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen, they'll still get some early votes.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How convenient. A broad Masters program. How long does it take to get a Masters at oregon? Since he didn't get drafted he's still at school right?
Likely VA's transfer to OU was an attempt to increase his chances at the NFL. What's wrong with that? That was his goal and he went for it. Fame and fortune worth a hell of a lot more than a Masters degree if you can do it and the real goal of most talented college players. For the same reasons, maybe he would have been a top student if the NFL required a degree.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Interdisciplinary Studies degrees are supposed to work is kind of like having dual minors to more or less build your own specialization. For example, if your dad owns 8,000 acres of premo Illinois farmland and you know for a certainty that you're going into the family business, maybe you'd want to do a mix of Agriculture and Economics or something. I imagine there would be benefits to understanding soil chemistry as well as being able to follow what Cargill and ADM are doing. It can be pretty convenient for some people, but more often than not it's just a Comm or English degree. Something to get you a diploma.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely VA's transfer to OU was an attempt to increase his chances at the NFL. What's wrong with that? That was his goal and he went for it. Fame and fortune worth a hell of a lot more than a Masters degree if you can do it and the real goal of most talented college players. For the same reasons, maybe he would have been a top student if the NFL required a degree.

Well because getting a Masters that isn't offered where you graduated is the reason for the rule. Not to plug in a player because you didn't develop anyone or he's got NFL aspirations and needs a showcase. It's almost like the one and done rule except in the one and done they dont hide it. Its just a farce in this players case. He could barley graduate from his previous school.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L That was the point. Of course the player is ONLY doing it for the chance at making the NFL. No one questions the players motivation. It's exploiting the rules by the TEAM, not the player.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Interdisciplinary Studies degrees are supposed to work is kind of like having dual minors to more or less build your own specialization.
That still leaves you with a college degree with no major.

"So - what did you learn in college?"

"How to avoid upper-division classes!"

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That still leaves you with a college degree with no major.

We are talking about Oregon so a Masters in This N that with minors in uniform coordination and stuff that happened a long time ago sounds right up their alley.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about Oregon so a Masters in This N that with minors in uniform coordination and stuff that happened a long time ago sounds right up their alley.
While I am sure that Oregon, like any school, has some programs that are not quite as rigorous as others, perhaps before bad-mouthing the school in general, you would liek to share with the group your experiences in grad school?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am sure that Oregon, like any school, has some programs that are not quite as rigorous as others, perhaps before bad-mouthing the school in general, you would liek to share with the group your experiences in grad school?

After the Marines I attended the Art center in Pasadena for design and sculpture and after some time I came to the realization that I had advanced farther on my own and wasn't benefiting there so I began working for myself instead . I have been working for myself since ,have 10 employees and work with a couple Architects (USC grads) here in So cal. So that's my experience with higher education. Since when is having a masters needed to comment or have an opinion? We all comment on football players and coaches yet few have played or coached. If you give your opinion on something Military related should I ask you where and when you've served?
I guess only if you have a masters can you write

That's fracking awesome.

"So what was your major in college?"

"This and that. No - literally!"

nndulac

Last edited:

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Marines I attended the Art center in Pasadena for design and sculpture and after some time I came to the realization that I had advanced farther on my own and wasn't benefiting there so I began working for myself instead . I have been working for myself since ,have 10 employees and work with a couple Architects (USC grads) here in So cal. So that's my experience with higher education. Since when is having a masters needed to comment or have an opinion? We all comment on football players and coaches yet few have played or coached. If you give your opinion on something Military related should I ask you where and when you've served?

That is all commendable. And yes - you may ask when and where I (or anyone) served. You have certainly more than earned that right.

My point is that it is one thing to denigrate a specific degree program for lacking rigor (see any of my comments in re: North Carolina's African and Afro-American Studies program, for example), but quite another to claim some kind of superiority by denigrating an entire university. I don't like Oregon football either, but c'mon. Let's be reasonable.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all commendable. And yes - you may ask when and where I (or anyone) served. You have certainly more than earned that right.

My point is that it is one thing to denigrate a specific degree program for lacking rigor (see any of my comments in re: North Carolina's African and Afro-American Studies program, for example), but quite another to claim some kind of superiority by denigrating an entire university. I don't like Oregon football either, but c'mon. Let's be reasonable.
Right, so we are allowed to poke fun of each other in an exaggerating fashion up here as long as it doesn't pertain to any particular institutions educational viability. That line of humor is right out.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't trying to put down every single department at Oregon. I know we all joke around but it's not news that some schools allow players with sketchy academic backgrounds.Nike has a big hand in that schools athletic dept and especially the football program. The standards are low enough for this player with a questionable major from a school that he barley made it out of to somehow qualify for a masters in something that can't be explained. I was obviously joking when saying a minor in uniform coordination( I'm sure they use some geranimals system.lol)

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Uncle.

I clearly was being too sensitive about the abuse of Oregon.

My sincerest apologies.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Washington ranked ahead of Oregon? Mambas head is spinning lol
Unfortunately, it doesn't mean shit. Just ask UCLA about pre-season rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.