• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this pretty much confirms that Jeff Tedford will be joining the Husky football program as a coach/consultant after the camp season is over this summer. Man looks classy in his new W duds.

View attachment 115584
I feel like all the love Tedford gets for QBs, the RB that have come out from under him have been better.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually had a good weekend off except for throwing out my back. but got into see chiro right away and by next day no prob. had dinner and drinks on water front. got yard waste to the dump. saw Civil War. had a day to just relax. good weekend off

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen doesn't mess around with the grades issue. Tedford isn't taking over the team. He's coming in as consultant for the offense.
The Washington higher campus won't allow the athletic programs to mess around with this 5th year transfer crap. They won't accept them into the school. And I like that.

The 5th year senior transfer thing is becoming heavily abused.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen doesn't mess around with the grades issue. Tedford isn't taking over the team. He's coming in as consultant for the offense.
The Washington higher campus won't allow the athletic programs to mess around with this 5th year transfer crap. They won't accept them into the school. And I like that.

The 5th year senior transfer thing is becoming heavily abused.
Might explain why UW is so against it?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful with the Tedford love. He also destroyed CAL's APR and grad rates. When he left, CAL was graduating only 30% of their players in 6 years. Huskies may hate Willingham, but he did pull your team APR from DFL to almost tops in the PAC.
Huge difference between being given the keys to car and simply being allowed to tinker with the transmission.

Might explain why UW is so against it?
That provision was meant to allow kids to go after an education, not be used as a minor league system for top programs with weak recruiting areas. You are not supposed to be allowed to go to another school under it unless that school offers classes in something not otherwise available at the school you came from. You know damned well it's being abused. VA had no intention of going for a masters degree. It was nothing more than a chance to see if he could gain more pub for a run at the NFL.

I'm sure UW isn't the only school against that practice, or at least not looking to exploit it. And it has little to do with Oregon. There are several SEC schools that have done similar things and at least one team in Texas. Plenty of others. Is it really something worthy of getting worked up over? Naw. Mostly just busting duck balls over it because that's what people do up here.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference between being given the keys to car and simply being allowed to tinker with the transmission.

That provision was meant to allow kids to go after an education, not be used as a minor league system for top programs with weak recruiting areas. You are not supposed to be allowed to go to another school under it unless that school offers classes in something not otherwise available at the school you came from. You know damned well it's being abused. VA had no intention of going for a masters degree. It was nothing more than a chance to see if he could gain more pub for a run at the NFL.

I'm sure UW isn't the only school against that practice, or at least not looking to exploit it. And it has little to do with Oregon. There are several SEC schools that have done similar things and at least one team in Texas. Plenty of others. Is it really something worthy of getting worked up over? Naw. Mostly just busting duck balls over it because that's what people do up here.

I agree with your sentiment, however, and Shaw has said this at times, if they got their degree then the player and school have met done their jobs. The kid got a degree, though the value of that depends on the program and school, and the school provided tangible proof of education happening in the form of a degree.

It is getting abused, but I will take abuse of a rule that requires you to get a degree (the purported goal of college scholarships) than many of the other recruiting abuses going on. For example, gray shirting kids pisses me off much more.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your sentiment, however, and Shaw has said this at times, if they got their degree then the player and school have met done their jobs. The kid got a degree, though the value of that depends on the program and school, and the school provided tangible proof of education happening in the form of a degree.

It is getting abused, but I will take abuse of a rule that requires you to get a degree (the purported goal of college scholarships) than many of the other recruiting abuses going on. For example, gray shirting kids pisses me off much more.

I don't know about you guys but I laugh that Adams actually got a degree from anywhere before going to Oregon. How much of a student was he really? And to ad further insult to higher education he went to Oregon in pursuit of a masters program.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about you guys but I laugh that Adams actually got a degree from anywhere before going to Oregon. How much of a student was he really? And to ad further insult to higher education he went to Oregon in pursuit of a masters program.
Interdisciplinary studies is a pretty broad degree. and just because he wasnt good at math doesnt mean he wasnt smart in other fields.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interdisciplinary studies is a pretty broad degree. and just because he wasnt good at math doesnt mean he wasnt smart in other fields.

How convenient. A broad Masters program. How long does it take to get a Masters at oregon? Since he didn't get drafted he's still at school right?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How convenient. A broad Masters program. How long does it take to get a Masters at oregon? Since he didn't get drafted he's still at school right?
no he graduated from EWU with interdisciplinary degree. I dont know what program he was in at Oregon

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its pretty much just a general studies degree

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, Brennan Scarlett Came to Stanford and got a MS. So there is variance. The idea stands for me. If a kid gets a degree then the "student athlete" illusion has at least a glimmer for me.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, Brennan Scarlett Came to Stanford and got a MS. So there is variance. The idea stands for me. If a kid gets a degree then the "student athlete" illusion has at least a glimmer for me.
From what most see the vast majority of 5th year transfer students are not on what would be considered degrees of any value. These are not kids likely to ever use their degree. They are kids pushing for the NFL and to be seen so their odds go up. Simply being in any NCAA program requires at least the illusion of being a student. Seen any former players on TV lately and wondered what the hell they studied? :L

The idea that a 5th year transfer is at least getting more school above and beyond the status quo is nice. It's certainly what that rule was intended to foster, however it is every bit as abused as the notion that kids only in college to impress scouts ever learn anything to begin with.

No one suggests there are no kids in college football programs getting real degrees. Of course there are. And of course there are some valid 5th year transfers that are doing it for academics. They are simply the exceptions to the rule.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course it's not an absolute. I don't even think I've even thought of this rule much when I've seen it used. But using it to reload a spot for a couple years straight tells me it's a football decision not a student athlete decision and seeing how the kid had trouble graduating it's a little hard to believe that he's interested in getting his masters. Maters in general studies.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like VA enrolled in the Media/Journalism, Sports and Business - Graduate Program at Oregon when he transfered.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there was Matt Hegarty the center from ND that transfered to oregon. got his degree in Business from ND now is enrolled in Prevention science which sounds like a social worker type degree. and i dont think he even got an ivite to any camps so I think the transfer did him right

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like VA enrolled in the Media/Journalism, Sports and Business - Graduate Program at Oregon when he transfered.

Nike U- They don't call it that for nothing. Sports Merchandising degree

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe I gave Jim a 'winner'. I need to go shower now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. I don't particularly like the practice, but there are a hell of a lot worse ways to abuse/skirt the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.