• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not about ranked or unranked.
teams that are on near the same are very different than what USC was doing.
9-3 oregon losing to 8-4 WSU
2014 13-2 Oregon lost to 10-4 Arizona who won the South division
13 11-2 Oregon lost to 8-4 Arizona is comprable
11 12-2 Oregon lost to 10-2 USC
09 10-3 Oregon lost to 8-2 Stanford
08 10-3 Oregon lost to 9-3 Cal and 12-1 Boise

do you see the difference in those and 11-2 USC losing to 4-8 Stanford or 10-4 USC losign to 6-7 WSU

I should say that 13 11-2 Oregon losing to 8-4 Arizona is comprable to what USC was doing losing to lesser teams but even still losing to an 8 win team is largely differnt than a 4 or 5 win team. 3 wins difference compared to 7

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not about ranked or unranked.
teams that are on near the same are very different than what USC was doing.
9-3 oregon losing to 8-4 WSU
2014 13-2 Oregon lost to 10-4 Arizona who won the South division
13 11-2 Oregon lost to 8-4 Arizona is comprable
11 12-2 Oregon lost to 10-2 USC
09 10-3 Oregon lost to 8-2 Stanford
08 10-3 Oregon lost to 9-3 Cal and 12-1 Boise

do you see the difference in those and 11-2 USC losing to 4-8 Stanford or 10-4 USC losign to 6-7 WSU

The Stanford loss was horrible yeah. But since then we've all seen what Jim Harbaugh can do. That was just one of those days where everything went wrong (or right depending on your team). The 2013 USC team you use for the other example was a four loss team. You seriously want to use that year? This year Oklahoma lost to a terrible Texas team and is still a top four team but a four loss USC team that year losing to WSU is inexcusable?
I think You need to separate the Pete teams from the teams since he left. When Pete was here there were games they lost against much lesser teams I agree. Since he's been gone no USC team has been good enough to expect an undeafeated or one loss season. So while the Boston College and Washinton games were bad losses they were not nearly as damaging as the Oregon State loss was when Pete was here.
The 2011 loss to USC knocked Oregon out of a possible BCS championship game. Say what you will but Oregon was 4th ranked at home and USC was unranked. You wanna say that wasn't worse than USC losing to Washington?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop bringing up Oklahoma. it has nothing to do with the fact that USC, more often than not, loses a game they should not lose each year.
and im not arguing about getting knocked out of BCS games or which losses are bigger. thats not the point.
Oregon losses including losing to a 10-2 USC team is not a head scratcher. ranked or not. (by the way they were ranked #18)
Im saying looking at the schedule. its easy to point at the games you could see a team losing. USC just almost always has one that no one sees coming. Oregon hasn't really had any blind sided losses or losses that at the end of the year people question.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop bringing up Oklahoma. it has nothing to do with the fact that USC, more often than not, loses a game they should not lose each year.
and im not arguing about getting knocked out of BCS games or which losses are bigger. thats not the point.
Oregon losses including losing to a 10-2 USC team is not a head scratcher. ranked or not. (by the way they were ranked #18)
Im saying looking at the schedule. its easy to point at the games you could see a team losing. USC just almost always has one that no one sees coming. Oregon hasn't really had any blind sided losses or losses that at the end of the year people question.

When Pete was here USC did lose those types of games but since Pete left USC has been pretty average. And just so you know he left five seasons ago. So since then an average USC team lost a game every year they probably shouldn't have( don't most average teams). They also beat #3 at the time Utah this year, a team they probably shouldn't have beaten. But OK. Thanks for the news.
Not trying to be a jerk but I think you're lumping in the Pete teams to the teams that weve had since he's left. saying theres a pattern just isn't correct. His were good to great teams who did have some inexplicable losses. These past few years we've had average teams who lose games they should win , win games they should;t and everything in between.

Last edited:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Pete was here USC did lose those types of games but since Pete left USC has been pretty average. And just so you know he left five seasons ago. So since then an average USC team lost a game every year they probably shouldn't have( don't most average teams). They also beat #3 at the time Utah this year, a team they probably shouldn't have beaten. But OK. Thanks for the news.
Not trying to be a jerk but I think you're lumping in the Pete teams to the teams that weve had since he's left. saying theres a pattern just isn't correct. His were good to great teams who did have some inexplicable losses. These past few years we've had average teams who lose games they should win , win games they should;t and everything in between.
even after he left you have 10 win team losing to a 6 win team. other teams that no, are not as good as Pete's teams but still better than the other teams they lost to by 3 or more wins.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even after he left you have 10 win team losing to a 6 win team. other teams that no, are not as good as Pete's teams but still better than the other teams they lost to by 3 or more wins.

yeah after Pete left. In the six years and five seasons he's been gone a 10 win team lost to a 6 win team. Is that really news?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not naive enough to think that a player especially a QB coming in for his last year isn't given some assurance that barring an injury the job is his to lose.
Believe as you will to me if he doesn't prove himself to be the best option he won't see the field.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe as you will to me if he doesn't prove himself to be the best option he won't see the field.

He's a 5th year starting QB a hired gun. If they thought he wasnt good enough to start over what they have then they wouldn't have picked him up. You get a guy like this to play not sit. If you're him do you go to a school where the coaches tell you you're gonna have to beat someone out and could sit on the bench for your last year? Of course not. You go where they tell you unless you fuck up or tear your knees up in the spring you're the starter. I'd be curious to find out whats the percentage of 5th year QBs who go to another school dont end up being the starter.
I'm just amazed that Oregon has to do this again. We've been hearing about all the Mariota clones recruited and signed by the Ducks the past few years and none of them can play?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Bronco M left BYU I have been dying a little bit everyday now...my Beaver DC is on the frontline of the BYU HC block. I want Kalina Sataki to stay a while longer and finish what he started @ OSU. I think he is gone and it's killing me not knowing yet. I haven't slept in 3 days now....

TAKE THE FUCKING BASTARD SO I CAN SLEEP YOU "CHEESEBAG MORMONS!"

sigh...

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a 5th year starting QB a hired gun. If they thought he wasnt good enough to start over what they have then they wouldn't have picked him up. You get a guy like this to play not sit. If you're him do you go to a school where the coaches tell you you're gonna have to beat someone out and could sit on the bench for your last year? Of course not. You go where they tell you unless you fuck up or tear your knees up in the spring you're the starter. I'd be curious to find out whats the percentage of 5th year QBs who go to another school dont end up being the starter.
I'm just amazed that Oregon has to do this again. We've been hearing about all the Mariota clones recruited and signed by the Ducks the past few years and none of them can play?

You are still looking at it as Oregon is going after them. THEY are pursuing Oregon. not the other way. He contacted multiple schools Oregon, Alabama, Michigan Texas. Oregon didn't have to get him. If a talented player contacts a program they arent just gonna say no. Its not like they are trying to transfer after getting kicked off somewhere else.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are still looking at it as Oregon is going after them. THEY are pursuing Oregon. not the other way. He contacted multiple schools Oregon, Alabama, Michigan Texas. Oregon didn't have to get him. If a talented player contacts a program they arent just gonna say no. Its not like they are trying to transfer after getting kicked off somewhere else.

Well if you're good with what you have do you invite him to visit and offer him a year on your program? I'm sure his advisers vetted who needs or wants a QB and would take him. This isn;t just coming out of nowhere. Oregon didnt get Adams last year without plans to use him.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're under the assumption THEY chose him, when in reality HE wanted to join them. Big difference. He was probably told he would be given a chance to compete that's it.

Either way we've already had this argument, and I don't really want to rehash it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're under the assumption THEY chose him, when in reality HE wanted to join them. Big difference. He was probably told he would be given a chance to compete that's it.

Either way we've already had this argument, and I don't really want to rehash it.

A player can want to join a team for his final year all he wants but I'm pretty sure they kinda gotta want and need him to say yes. Notice the teams he was interested in are losing this years starting QB. Coincidence?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question here and not trying to bash the huskies since...well you know...

but what program is more surprising in being in the dweller for so long?

Arizona STate or Washington?

What's a dweller?

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you're good with what you have do you invite him to visit and offer him a year on your program? I'm sure his advisers vetted who needs or wants a QB and would take him. This isn;t just coming out of nowhere. Oregon didnt get Adams last year without plans to use him.
If you want to be technical about it no program recruits any kid without planning to use them but not every player pans out

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to be technical about it no program recruits any kid without planning to use them but not every player pans out

Ok but this isn't a high school kid you tell he's gotta work hard and he will rise in the depth chart. This is a kid whos started for a few years and he's got one year for personal and team glory. The four teams he was interested in are all big time programs and all had QBs making their last start this year. That's not a coincidence. He's looking to play this year not maybe play. He must have gotten some idea from Oregon coaches that his chances are pretty high or he would have never gone there.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok but this isn't a high school kid you tell he's gotta work hard and he will rise in the depth chart. This is a kid whos started for a few years and he's got one year for personal and team glory. The four teams he was interested in are all big time programs and all had QBs making their last start this year. That's not a coincidence. He's looking to play this year not maybe play. He must have gotten some idea from Oregon coaches that his chances are pretty high or he would have never gone there.
You're right, he isn't a high school kid, I'm willing to bet that he was told the team isn't completely sold on the options they have so if he came to Oregon he would have a fair chance to win the starting position. As for why he chose the Ducks, from what I've read Oregon probably fits his play style the best out of all the schools he looked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.